***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
No idea what I'm going to do. Press ups aggravate an elbow injury. Nowhere I can put a pull up bar. Just going to get skinny fat until this all blows over I guess. :p

I'm slowly just accepting it. Very tempted to order at least a bench and barbell that I could use for other movements. Who knows how long it'll all be closed!

Soldato
This is what I sorted this morning.

Expecting 12 weeks of no gyms...

2afhPQr.jpg

RNfJbSq.jpg

5Go7o5p.jpg

7 x 15 kg sandbags.

2 x holdalls

1 x PullUpMate

Should be able to do squats, deadlift, weighted pullups and some sort of weighted pushup /dips.

I've been training / cutting weight for a local deadlift comp in May, so that sucks.

But, it'll be fun learning new ways to lift heavy stuff!

Soldato
OK, so today's bench day, so I'm doing weighted pressups (with crappy handles, but at least they help the wrists and also RoM).

WhCSPUz.jpg

If it makes any difference, I'm currently 58kg BW (been cutting to get into 59kg class for powerlifting).

2 x 8 reps with 30kg in backpack.
1 x 7 reps with 30 kg
1 x 14 reps with 15kg

Feels pretty good! (Sure, I miss dubbells, but this is WAY better than nothing!)

Going to see what I can do for shoulders now...

EDIT - OK, so 15kg sandbag standing OH press works pretty well! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I’d also like to note:
1) it takes a couple of weeks of no stimulus before you start to lose strength
2) as long as you’re eating enough you’re unlikely to lose much muscle in 1-3 months
3) even if you lose strength and size, muscle memory is real and although you won’t rebound instantly, it’ll come back a lot quicker than it took to get to there in the first place
4) you get to relive noob gains mode all over again (and noob DOMS, unfortunately)

Soldato

Although sadly, the stronger you are relative to your max potential, the faster you'll lose it.

I'm ~58kg and my PBs are:

Squat = 144 kg
Bench = 105 kg
Deadlift = 180 kg

When I took three weeks off for my honeymoon, I lost about 30% of my 1rm.

But, yes, it does return quickly and is "kinda" fun making "fake" progress again!

:D

Soldato
Was looking about to see if I could get some simple weight setup at home. Apart from being rather expensive, all the sites are posting about high demand, I imagine most peeps in the EU are doing the same. Anyone know of any good sites?

Soldato
I’d also like to note:
2) as long as you’re eating enough you’re unlikely to lose much muscle in 1-3 months
3) even if you lose strength and size, muscle memory is real and although you won’t rebound instantly, it’ll come back a lot quicker than it took to get to there in the first place
4) you get to relive noob gains mode all over again (and noob DOMS, unfortunately)

I hear ya. However I think the gyms will be shut for a lot longer than 3 months.

It’ll probably make sense to start back with sl 5x5 by the time they reopen.

Soldato
OP
I hear ya. However I think the gyms will be shut for a lot longer than 3 months.

It’ll probably make sense to start back with sl 5x5 by the time they reopen.

Some spit and sawdust gyms are already taking back-handers or letting people train hush-hush - in the case of my gym the elite guys have keys and will train in there privately: all about who you know obviously.

If I’m still having to do bodyweight stuff after a couple of months I’ll see what the crack is with people renting out their garage gyms locally (this is a thing I’ve seen already).

Man of Honour
Some spit and sawdust gyms are already taking back-handers or letting people train hush-hush - in the case of my gym the elite guys have keys and will train in there privately: all about who you know obviously.

If I’m still having to do bodyweight stuff after a couple of months I’ll see what the crack is with people renting out their garage gyms locally (this is a thing I’ve seen already).

I figure the same will happen in mine, the PTs and their mates will still train or they’ll go to the farm where they train sometimes.

Associate
Assuming this is going to last 3 months or so, I'm tempted to cut more agressively than normal so I'm in a position to lean bulk when gyms open again. I know I'm going to lose muscle regardless so I think I may use this as an opportunity to cut as much fat as possible although obviously making sure I eat suffient protein and as much muscle stimulus as possible.

I think I'll concentrate on my running (got a treadmill) - I feel a strong pair of lungs are more important atm :p

Soldato
OP
Assuming this is going to last 3 months or so, I'm tempted to cut more agressively than normal so I'm in a position to lean bulk when gyms open again. I know I'm going to lose muscle regardless so I think I may use this as an opportunity to cut as much fat as possible although obviously making sure I eat suffient protein and as much muscle stimulus as possible.

I think I'll concentrate on my running (got a treadmill) - I feel a strong pair of lungs are more important atm :p

I'd argue you're more likely to lose lean mass aggressively dieting without a sufficient training stimulus than you are just trying to maintain your current weight, although it depends on where your physique is at currently. Also one of the effects of being in a prolonged hypocaloric state is a compromised/weakened immune system, which obviously isn't a good thing currently, although I suppose it depends on your level of isolation.

Additionally, I think there's an element of hyperbole when it comes to gym rats thinking just because they don't have access to a gym their muscles are going to fall off. Yes you'll lose some specific strength if you've spent a long time becoming hyper-efficient at certain big lifts, but ultimately something like your tricep doesn't know the difference between barbell bench and doing dips between two chairs - it only knows tension demands are being placed upon it. Let's take pull-ups - how many people here can do 20 reps (for multiple sets) strict - as in no swinging/heaving - and with a full range of motion from the hang all the way to touching the sternum to the bar? Sprinkle in some inverted rows or resistance band rows and something you can curl or reverse fly and that'll keep your back busy for a good while...

Yes it's a bit harder for legs and requires some creativity there, but there's no reason why 95% of people with the bare minimum of kit at home can't maintain or even make some progress as long as there's some consistency with programming. The biggest impediment for most people atm is going to be willpower, because it's a lot harder to train at home consistently with all the distractions available compared to a gym.

Soldato
OK, deadlifting with a holdall sucks.

:(

Because it's so wide / so far in front of you, you can't get the leverage.

I'm having to just do reps with 30kg, although it feels like 70kg because of the weird angles!

EDIT - OK, just back from a set of 20x, so I guess it feels more like 50 - 60kg?

I've also raised myself up to get a bigger RoM, which also makes it much harder.

(I usually rep 160kg for 6 or 140kg for 6 with a 2" deficit).

Hopefully just doing as many as I can with this 30kg holdall will stave off the losses...

:(

33Efoez.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom