Plusnet Discussion Thread

Caporegime
I wouldn't recommend them as I ended up with a game of ping pong going between them and openreach when my connection kept dropping and it went nowhere until I moved to another ISP and everything is as stable as it was before that whole debacle started.
That's completely normal tho across all ISPs, isn't it? Certainly has been my experience over the years.

ISP blames OR. OR blames ISP. OR sends their least qualified new recruit who doesn't have a hope in hell of finding any fault and tells you to your face he's only allowed to look for 30 mins max per call, then he has to leave the site and mark "no fault found".

Then ISP attempts to charge £50 for no fault found, despite the line being dead/dying, and around and around we go!

This is the state of the UK telecoms market, not ISP specific.

Caporegime
That's completely normal tho across all ISPs, isn't it? Certainly has been my experience over the years.

ISP blames OR. OR blames ISP. OR sends their least qualified new recruit who doesn't have a hope in hell of finding any fault and tells you to your face he's only allowed to look for 30 mins max per call, then he has to leave the site and mark "no fault found".

Then ISP attempts to charge £50 for no fault found, despite the line being dead/dying, and around and around we go!

Unless it's changed in the last 6 months Sky don't pass on any charge for no fault found visits. They may be unwilling to send someone unless it's clear there is a fault, but no charges are passed on.

Associate

Except in this case PN could see a fault, but OR didn't see anything or have any logs relating to any kind of issue on the line when they tested the line at my end and it looped ad infinum until I got annoyed and considered that the fault was at PN end even though they couldn't figure out where the fault was and moved to another ISP and even though there were a few issues everything is working a heck of a lot better then it was when I was on PN.

maj

maj

Soldato
I'm due to be switching to Vodafone tomorrow. I already have the router. Will PN be blocking the signal if I were to plug the new router in but use PN broadband till Vodafone do the switch?

I can just wait till I get confirmation line has switched if needed.

Associate
I'm due to be switching to Vodafone tomorrow. I already have the router. Will PN be blocking the signal if I were to plug the new router in but use PN broadband till Vodafone do the switch?

I can just wait till I get confirmation line has switched if needed.
I'm not sure you would get confirmation that the switch has happened as the only way I found out that the switch had happened for my was when I found that I didn't have any internet connection when the plusnet hub was showing that I was connected and it was only after I checked the router settings that I found out that PN acted like complete dirtbags and wiped all the original login data on the router replacing it with a generic account.

Also you might not be able to use the vodafone supplied router on PN as it would require changing the log in credentials and that might not be possible.

Caporegime
It may do something weird like remove the account details if the Plusnet account has been removed from the provisioning servers, but I've not seen it happen before. It's also possible the the hub falls back to a generic account to be able to grab provisioning information if it sees that the DSL is in sync but the PPPoE session won't come up - which is exactly the scenario you'd be in if you moved your service to another FTTC provider.

There's a lot of effort that goes into making sure that a pinhole reset on a router will always bring it back to the point where it's talking to the ISP and the Wi-Fi details match what is printed on the sticker.

Soldato
I was without fibre for about 5 days from the end of last week until this morning. I couldn't reach Plusnet by phone or live chat, and they didn't respond on Twitter, their own helpdesk or their forums. I eventually managed to get through by phone and they were very apologetic, got an Openreach engineer out to sort the fault (it was a fault in the cabinet), refunded me for the downtime and credited me with two free months. So I've gone from being fairly miffed to fairly pleased. Just grateful I had enough 4G allowance to see me through.

Soldato
My contact is up on May, think I will be moving back to sky or BT, never had so many slow downs and problems streaming add I have with Plusnet. Plus there router is rubbish, had the cheek to tell me to just disable 5ghz because it was physically noisy.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
^ Hence why i don't use Plusnet router. Used it for a week and did not like it. Went back using my old BTBub. No issues since then...

Permabanned
only ever had one problem with plusnet but it was not them .. bt over line talk .. day after i reported it there was a guy outside my house cutting lines and replacing ..
since then perfect been with them now for 4 yrs 63up 18 down .. ?? whats the problem with some people ??
the longer the line the worst it will go .. not there fault but bt's .. they do listen and react ..

Man of Honour
I had issues yesterday afternoon online gaming. Sporadic pings to BBC, Google, Multiplay etc. Mrs struggled to access Facebook as well on the wifi. I've logged a fault and created a TBB graph. Anyone else had issues?

Back
Top Bottom