*** Half-Life: Alyx ***

Soldato
What happened to all the bonuses we was supposed to get for pre-ordering? From what I can see we got early access to the VR environments and that's it, I thought there was supposed to be more such as exclusive CSGO skins?

Soldato
I was reading about the Cosmos Elite which only came out recently: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/the-htc-...t-today-comes-with-a-code-for-half-life-alyx/

The price as mentioned is close to Index though, but since Index has like an 8 week waiting list, this is probably the next best option.

It's not a new headset the cosmos has been out for a while. HTC had to relaunch it as the Cosmos was a fail at launch with a multitude of tracking issues and a pricepoint that rendered it pointless. The Elite is now swappable faceplate so existing cosmos owners can upgrade to the elite to get the lighthouse trackers to improve the tracking issues. As I said the Vive Pro is the better headset if you are going to pay that money, or if you can wait the Index as well. The cosmos is still fundamentally a weaker headset at that pricepoint.

From reddit:

I have Vive Pro, Index, Rift, Rift S, and a Pimax 8K Plus. I have also TRIED the Cosmos Elite.

I would have to say the Vive Pro offers a better experience especially since they are currently the same price for the bundles currently. Keep in mind the Cosmos Elite is not a new headset but a new faceplate so any complaints you've seen that aren't about the tracking will still be present. Even though there are the lighthouse tracking with the inside out I was only able to feel a slight enhancement in tracking accuracy. This is cause I tested the headsets back to back. I am almost certain that with the games I tried it would not have been so noticeable if not using them back to back. I also felt their was a little more latency but it was more accurate. On the plus side you don't always have to use those base stations so you can have a more portable headset. I am also not a fan of the Cosmos controllers. I am completely with you on the too impatient part when I want something or order it id like to know its on its way and not put me on a back burner. You would probably be suited better with Vive Pro.

Associate
Pre-ordered a few minute's ago,looking forward to playing it now,after not really being bothered about it for so long,i alway's preferred Sin to Half Life way back,but now pretty stoked for this.

Soldato
Be nice to get this but £400 for a headset is a bit much for the only vr game i have an interest in :(

You're interested in Beat Saber - you just don't realise it yet. It's worth the cost of any headset on its own.

HL: Alyx will increase interest in VR exponentially, but the killer game has already been available for some time and it's not this.

Soldato
You see that 'one game' tossed around quite a bit. Always makes me smile when you check on the steam profile, and they've hundreds of hours in a VR supported game. Most of them like The Forest, Payday, Subnautica are exponentially better in VR.

Killer App is extremely subjective in VR anyway. Id call pinball that, people say it about racing, flight sims, even google earth!

Soldato
You're interested in Beat Saber - you just don't realise it yet. It's worth the cost of any headset on its own.

HL: Alyx will increase interest in VR exponentially, but the killer game has already been available for some time and it's not this.

Also the Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is right now, my favorite VR experience. Such a great example of first person shooters done well in VR with the BEST locomotion...again, so far! I can see this all changing over the next 24/48 hours however.

Associate
I've spent most of my time in VR playing Elite Dangerous, Beat Sabre is pretty awesome though. I want Alyx but I'm worried that the Vive wands won't work particularly well as the side buttons used to simulate grip are pretty crappy. I've ordered Index controller's but thanks to the delays I won't get to play this at launch.

Associate
I've spent most of my time in VR playing Elite Dangerous, Beat Sabre is pretty awesome though. I want Alyx but I'm worried that the Vive wands won't work particularly well as the side buttons used to simulate grip are pretty crappy. I've ordered Index controller's but thanks to the delays I won't get to play this at launch.
In the exact same boat. I really hope it's at least a toggle as my hands start to hurt if I have to hold down the grip button.

Soldato
Out atm, anyone given it a bash yet? I'm assuming people are too busy playing to tear themselves away! Can't wait to give it a whirl tonight.

Associate
I've just played about 45 mins and all I can say is wow! I'm only running it on a (now old) Oculus CV1 but it's still great fun. About 45 mins is my limit in VR though hence I'm back here posting!

Soldato
I'm on a Rift S, got myself through to Chapter 3 and this is amazing, absolutely amazing.

Controls are so well done, fluid locomotion and I don't feel the Rift S hardware restricts anything at all.

The new Source engine is stunning, the lighting is something else.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm on a Rift S, got myself through to Chapter 3 and this is amazing, absolutely amazing.

Controls are so well done, fluid locomotion and I don't feel the Rift S hardware restricts anything at all.

The new Source engine is stunning, the lighting is something else.

Promising to hear! What are the visuals like with the Rift S eyepiece screens?

Soldato
Promising to hear! What are the visuals like with the Rift S eyepiece screens?

Absolutely crystal clear to me, I'm playing on the max graphical settings, ultra something I believe, and it's very very crisp on the display. More importantly a smooth and consistent frame rate with my 5700XT.

Back
Top Bottom