Alex Salmond has been arrested

Soldato
Wow that sucks to be Scottish, so if some bitter ex-partner accuses you of something as revenge chances are the best verdict you could hope for would be "not proven" and people will think you did whatever she accused you of but that the police just cocked up the investigation for the rest of your life.

I think it is one of the best things about Scottish Law as it adds an extra layer of protection against false imprisonment.

Capodecina
Soldato
Remember the fantasist Carl Beech? He accused loads of people. Then there were Cliff Richard and Paul Gambacchini who were investigated to no prosecution.
Carl Beech was as you say, a deranged fantasist.
The other two people you identify were investigated by the Police as part of Operation Yewtree.
Operation Yewtree developed as a result of the criticism that rightly followed the Establishment's failure to go after Jimmy Savile.

Do you feel that there should have been no Operation Yewtree investigation :confused:

Incidentally, I believe that in all of these cases, the accusers were males; so possibly not relevant in relation to Salmond, Weinstein, et al.

Soldato
Carl Beech was as you say, a deranged fantasist.

Tell that to the people he accused. One committed suicide, Lawson died before being found innocent, and at least one other was demented before being found innocent. Beech's accusations were proclaimed as credible and true by the police.

The other two people you identify were investigated by the Police as part of Operation Yewtree.

Not as publicly as they were and much more quickly. Both stood accused for over a year before the police decided to stop.

Capodecina
Soldato
Tell that to the people he accused. One committed suicide, Lawson died before being found innocent, and at least one other was demented before being found innocent. Beech's accusations were proclaimed as credible and true by the police. . ,. .
Well at least we are agreed that Carl Beech was a deranged fantasist.
. . . Not as publicly as they were and much more quickly. Both stood accused for over a year before the police decided to stop.
So, the Police make mistakes - well I never :eek:

Now then, what are your views on Savile? Should he have been exposed earlier?

Were the Police wrong subsequently to follow up allegations on prominent people - should they have ignored the allegations just because they were made against prominent people?

Capodecina
Soldato
The investigations should have been kept out of the public eye until charges were laid.
In most cases I would agree with you. However, I suspect that the reasoning here was to encourage anyone else to come forward.

I entirely agree that inviting the BBC to film the Police raid on Richard's house was extremely "odd".

I ask you once again, are the Police wrong to follow up allegations against prominent people - should they ignore allegations just because they are made against prominent people?

Don
Salmond is writing a book on the case and the SNP's party and government involvement with it. Sounds like he has a lot of internal documents that will be totally explosive.

Police now also prosecuting bloggers who reported on the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
Salmond is writing a book on the case and the SNP's party and government involvement with it. Sounds like he has a lot of internal documents that will be totally explosive.

Police now also prosecuting bloggers who reported on the case.

Nice to see the police have their priorities in order as usual :/

Divert more resources in to the rising burglaries, car crime, knife crime, etc? Nope, people on twitter said some stuff...

Don
Nice to see the police have their priorities in order as usual :/
Yep, likely to a bit scandal brewing there as well.

It's got all the hallmarks of a politically motivated prosecution and subsequent coverup. Because of Covid, their cases will lilely be held behind closed doors with judges only as well. Convienent that it's only been brought now.

Back
Top Bottom