Macbook Air 2020 thread

Associate
Yep i bought the same config,still using a 2014 Air with only 128gb+4gm ram :eek:
Temps are a worry tho what possesed them to not cool the cpu with the fan :mad:
Did they learn nothing from the 12" Mac.

Soldato
I am considering it. The temps seem a bit high from a review I watched on YouTube.

You could say that about any MBP couldn't you tbh. My 16 with an external screen plugged in can sound like a hair dryer.

I was massively disappointed in the 2018 Air - the performance was terrible. I was after a decent replacement for my 12" Macbook, and the Air certainly wasn't it even though on paper it should have out-performed the i7 12". It didn't.

Ended up with a Dell XPS instead.

Soldato
Did they learn nothing from the 12" Mac.

We have two of them - a first gen M5 (I think), and a second gen i7. They've both been fantastic machines. My i7 has taken a bit of a beating as it's my travel buddy, the first gen my daughter's that she uses for uni.

If the Air can perform like they did at the same some sort of weight/footprint I'd have been all over it tbh.

Associate
OP
according to youtube benchmarks...the weak cooling solution does seem to limit sustained performance. but the i5 is still snappier than the i3 and also with faster graphics.

liking the 256Gb base storage.
not liking the 8 to 16Gb upgrade price

Associate
I bought one. core i5 8gb 256SSD

arrives mid April.

anyone else ?

Went for exactly this in Space Grey. The £100 upgrade for the i5 was an absolute no brainer. I was hoping it would arrive quicker to spice up the quarantining but not expecting arrival until 8th - 17th April. Fingers crossed it's on the side of the 8th :)

Associate
I'm looking at the Core i5, 256GB, but cannot decide whether it's worth going for 16GB RAM. Anyone have any thoughts? I feel 8GB may not be enough if I have lots of Chrome tabs open, various Office applications etc.

All of my Windows desktop / laptops have at least 16GB, hence my concern on whether the MBA will be future proof enough!

Associate
I'm looking at the Core i5, 256GB, but cannot decide whether it's worth going for 16GB RAM. Anyone have any thoughts? I feel 8GB may not be enough if I have lots of Chrome tabs open, various Office applications etc.

All of my Windows desktop / laptops have at least 16GB, hence my concern on whether the MBA will be future proof enough!

From my perspective, 8GB has always been enough for me. I'm by no means a heavy user now, but i had both a MBA & MBP throughout university years ago with 8GB in and they always performed with the type of usage you mentioned. In fact, i wouldn't have bought the new MBA if i didn't launch a glass of water all over my MBP for the third time in January. It was still working pretty much as good as new and could do everything i wanted even at 5 years old with 8GB.

16GB does add that element of future-proofing though and i probably would have upgraded if i had the spare cash, purely as a future-proofing thing. The i5 upgrade for £100 is a no brainer but an extra £200 on top made it just a bit too steep for me. Considering i'm a light user these days, 8GB will be plenty. I guess you just need to really weigh up your usage and how long you think you'll be keeping the machine for to see if the upgrade is worth it.

I should be getting my 8GB i5 256GB in a couple of weeks, i'll let you know how i get on :).

Last edited:
Associate
I should be getting my 8GB i5 256GB in a couple of weeks, i'll let you know how i get on :).

I'm currently using an Air with only 4GB of ram never expierienced any slow down with multiiple tabs open so 8gb will be plenty for me.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I'm not in a super rush, so I might hold back when this on people's hands for impressions before I pull the trigger.

Associate
Conflicted about whether I should 'upgrade' from my Late 2013 MBPr to this or whether I should wait for Apple to carry over the changes (mainly keyboard) to the 13" MBP as well

Soldato
I'm still using my 13" mac air mid 2011 with an i5 1.7GHz processor and 4GB RAM, its really been a fantastic machine, the battery still holds a decent amount of charge. The only reason I'm contemplating an upgrade is the lack of new OS updates.

16GB does seem tempting, but as @silverblack says 4GB has been fine for browsing, reading and editing documents etc. I don't do photo/video work on this machine so I think 8GB would probably be fine for most people.

When is the MBP due an update?

Soldato
I'm still using my 13" mac air mid 2011 with an i5 1.7GHz processor and 4GB RAM, its really been a fantastic machine, the battery still holds a decent amount of charge. The only reason I'm contemplating an upgrade is the lack of new OS updates.

16GB does seem tempting, but as @silverblack says 4GB has been fine for browsing, reading and editing documents etc. I don't do photo/video work on this machine so I think 8GB would probably be fine for most people.

When is the MBP due an update?
I'm in the same position with my 2011 base MBP. Although I'm also considering building a cheap Windows desktop for £450 or so, and getting an iPad Air with a keyboard...

Associate
OP
For those looking at the 8 - 16 upgrade, then it is a once only decision (cannot add RAM later).

But ... Apple do seem to be aware of this and the price delta (c£200) is way way beyond the cost of 8Gb RAM (even for the fast RAM that Apple uses).

Back
Top Bottom