New keyboard, quiet with no backlights?

Associate
Hi all,

I am looking to get a new keyboard that looks smart. I am not quite the gamer I was a few years ago so I have lost interest in anything with sparkly flashing lights. :D

I don't mind having the letters illuminate (as long as it can be disabled) but no lights underneath. Also something that isn't too noisy that will wake up the missus while I type away at night.

I was looking at the Corsair K55, Logitech Keys but that is without much research. The different types of mechanical keyboards confuse me too.

Any advice and recommendations much appreciated.

Soldato
Most "mechanical" switches fail to give damn about noise and have many hard plastic parts smashing into each others and rattling together.
With few retro switches even adding extra sound effect for more mechanical typewriter like ruckus!
"Old" membrane/rubber dome keyboards are in the best position for noise with least moving parts and that soft part in there.
Rare and expensive Topre switch is hybrid with actually rubber dome in it and has pretty similar noise profile.

Also Cherry MX RGBs and their clones/copies have really garish backlight, which in most keyboards does more to leak everywhere else than to illuminate keycap markings.
And same US Christmas lights have been copied to what ever that Corsair K55 has.

Logitech's Omron made Romer-G does the best job in controlling light:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnTBfa0wNxY
Which is also one of the rare mechanical switches trying to do something to avoid unnecessary noise.
But from noise aspect it's till in that "only less loud, not quiet" category and switches in new (ridiculously) low profile G815/G915 would be clearly class better.
Few weeks ago I did some noise testing of G815 next to G910 in shop.

Associate
I was in a similar situation and I found the Kensington Advance Fit to be a great solution. I often work late at night and it's extremely quiet and an affordable solution, though not mechanical they're still nice action, laptop style quiet keys.

Soldato
I've got a fnatic ministreak with cherry silent red switches. They can be bought from that popular online place for £90. The keys are pretty quiet, and illumination can be set (or not) to whatever you want. Great for my evening gaming past bedtime, and comes with adjustable wrist rest.
There is also a full sized variant also.
Mick

Soldato
I haven't any experience when it comes to using the silent switches, although I do have some coming as part of my zealpc testers very soon..

But I've always found that how heavy a noise a switch makes is dependant on how well you can touch type with it and not bottom out. For me, the heavier switches are better as I can press each key without bottoming. For others, the light switches that require very little force are better. I'd recommend trying a keyboard if you can, difficult at the moment I admit, or look at getting a tester. A very good example is the '12 switch Gateron tester,' which will give you a test of linear, tactile and clicky at various weights. These guys manufacture clones of Cherry switches, as well as produce their own variants. This is the best way to make sure you invest in the correct switch. :)

Another thing brought up here, is to use a nice thick deskmat. These will also absorb some of the noise that would otherwise travel into the desk.

Illumination depends on the keyboard and keycaps. For example, both of my Code keyboards have excellent white illumination, with very good keycaps for this, so give a very even light. Other brands I have tried, have given uneven backlighting due to poor keycaps, or in some cases poor quality control.

Soldato
One thing that you might find of interest. My ZealPC tester switches arrived earlier and every single prediction for which ones I'd prefer have been wrong. :D

So I'd certainly try recommending them!!

sg0

sg0

Associate
Silent reds are nice and quiet compared to the other cherry switches, but you could also check out the plum niz capacitive keyboards. I got the micro82 its even quieter.

Back
Top Bottom