Wurds that yew repaetedly spel incorectly?

Soldato
OP
Good to start to thread, when you are spelling it right.....

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/realise-realize/

The -ise ending is actually newer than the -ize ending. In Britain and other countries, it became popular after 1875, when it began appearing in news articles. However, the -ise ending didn’t catch on in the United States or in British science periodicals and professional journals. For that reason, you will see both verb endings in British literature.

Oxford University Press, a British publisher, prefer to use the -ize ending for words that derive from the Greek suffix -izo. Doing so reflects the origins of verbs and nouns, such as realization, organization, and privatization. An -ise ending could erroneously suggest that the verbs derive from the French verbs réaliser, organiser, or privatiser. That’s not to say that Oxford style always condemns -ise endings. To illustrate, the -ise of televise doesn’t have a Greek origin, so that -ise ending is A-okay.

Man of Honour
One of my sons, when he was stationed in Germany, sent me a photo of himself at the wheel of a U.S. army truck, wearing a U.S. soldier’s cap, he accompanied it with the message;
On manuv, manov, maniov, exercises with a Yank outfit.

Man of Honour
"Norway" from one of the Adrian Mole books reminds me of @Jean-F 's post :

Norway! Land of difficult spelling.
Hiding your beauty behind strange vowels.
Land of long nights, short days, and dots over 'O's.
Ruminating majestic reindeers
Tread wearily on ice floes
Ever aware of what happened to the
Titanic
One day I will sojourn to your shores
I live in the middle of England
But!
Norway! My soul resides in your watery fiords fyords fiiords inlets.

Man of Honour
I occasionally omit the first H in whether, trouble is wether doesn’t look wrong.
Not spelling, but a friend phoned me once to ask what the French word poids
meant, I told him, “weight”, he said, “Hurry up then, I’m going out.”

Back
Top Bottom