Contactless payments going up to £45

Commissario
If it is going up, that's a good thing. Most places have already removed the restriction when using things like Apple Pay and whatever the android equivalent is but some shops still enforce that £30 limit. It'll be nice to go to Tesco and not have to remember to keep it below £30 if I've left my wallet at home.

/edit - Yes, it is going up to £45. See here.

Soldato
Yeah, i think a cap on card payments is sensible, but lifting the limit on other types would be good.

Annoyingly, Garmin Pay still forces the £30 limit, even though you have to enter a passcode each time :(

What i did like was in Amsterdam you always use the contactless tapping action, and then if it's over a certain amount you enter your pin. No having to insert a card, it felt a lot better implemented.

Associate
If it is going up, that's a good thing. Most places have already removed the restriction when using things like Apple Pay and whatever the android equivalent is but some shops still enforce that £30 limit. It'll be nice to go to Tesco and not have to remember to keep it below £30 if I've left my wallet at home.

I actually didn't know this about tesco and put £95 of fuel in the car a while back. They had to split the transaction into 4 as all I had was my iPhone!

Caporegime

Agreed, I wrongly assumed a year ago that if you pay by Apple Pay there is no £30 limit. I later found out that when I went to fill up my car at Tesco one day, they said the limit was £30 which I said yes but only if I pay via my debit card. She said nope it also includes Apple Pay, I was confused but luckily for me I had my debit card with me to pay the full amount. So I guess it depends on the retailer on what they set the limit to.
But still silly to make it £30 for Apple Pay. I mean you either use your thumb or you look into the front camera when making the payment :confused:

Pho

Pho

Soldato

Install the Tesco Pay+ app on your phone (https://www.tesco.com/zones/pay-plus) it gives you a £250 contactless limit :).

You open the app and scan the barcode it generates on the self service / self checkout machines or the checkout person can scan it with their barcode scanner at the checkout.

It also scans your clubcard at the same time which is handy.

Soldato
I think it should be wake up phone for transactions up to £30 and unlock phone for transactions up to £100.
You've got the same "potential issues" as you've got right now with relatively low value transactions, however by fording me to unlock the device, this is a good form of authentication for larger payments.

At some point Aldi removed limits, I know that I paid about £60 via Android Pay. Went in a couple of weeks ago and was told the limit was £30.

Associate
I think a lot of people get confused. The existing £30 limit is a contactless limit, here anyone can use a card or Apple Pay/Google Pay etc. If the terminals have especially been setup to accept Apple Pay and Google Pay then you can pay much more beyond the £30 limit. I wish there was standardised logos to highlight where these higher value places are. Morrisons have a nice attachment to their self service tills highlighting there is no limit with Apple and Google Pay there, but I know with other supermarkets, this is not the case.

Commissario
I think a lot of people get confused.
I'm not in the slightest bit confused with the difference between contactless and Apple Pay. A lot of shop workers still are though, I've lost count of the number of times I've offered to use Apple Pay when the transaction is more than £30 and they've told me I can't. When I ask if I can try, they're genuinely surprised when it goes through.

Associate
Tesco don't officially support Apple or Google pay which is why the limit is £30, they go through as regular contactless payments. I suspect after this change it'll rise to £45 too.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I've just installed it, thanks. So when I get to the zapper checkout, do I use the zapper to scan the barcode on my phone or scan the barcode on my phone with the checkout?

The one where you scan as you shop? When you get to the checkout click pay, click tesco pay+, then point your phone at the scanner - it takes a few seconds to read it in my experience, you might have to wiggle your hand a bit.

Handy stock image photo.. this bit:

ctucK9F.png

Oh, you can also use the barcode to sign into self scan and unlock the handheld. I found once it beeps to tell you it's read the barcode it seems to take a few extra seconds compared to normal to release the handheld so be patient.

Soldato
This is a good change but in light of current events they also need to temporarily remove the safety measures they brought in earlier this year that require you to do chip-and-pin every five transactions or for every £30 spent (I think the implementation depends on your bank). I was in a petrol station yesterday and of course my card decided that was the time to decline contactless, so I had to type in my pin on a card machine that probably never gets cleaned and has had thousands of people use it.

Back
Top Bottom