Painting Concrete Fence Posts

Soldato
My neighbours have finally had a new fence installed and they have gone for concrete posts/gravel boards with fence panels. I've spoken to them about painting our side and they said that's fine. I'd like to also paint the concrete as it looks bloody ugly as is. Do I have to paint it with masonry paint or can I just slap some normal fence paint on it?

This is going to be something for me to do whilst we are staying home now.

Soldato
Normal fence paint wont last on the posts long term, use masonry paint.

Also bear in mind that when you're painting your side of the fence board if you're too vigorous you may cause the paint to bleed through to their side.

Soldato
I think painting fences is a nightmare through issues like over spray or bleed through to the other side. It's something I wouldn't want to do or for any neighbour to do.

Associate
I think painting fences is a nightmare through issues like over spray or bleed through to the other side. It's something I wouldn't want to do or for any neighbour to do.

+1 on this
It most definitely will blend through and ruin your neighbours brand new fence. If you value your relationship with your neighbour then don't do it.
If the look of the fence bothers you that much I'd consider putting your own one up along side it. :)

Soldato
My in laws recently had a new fence put in and the neighbours painted their side blue. Their new fence is now a complete mess as the paint went everywhere.

Soldato
Can echo the above. Painted a massive fence for my ex's parents a few summers back. Painted it green as it was green on the neighbours side so any bleed wouldn't be as much of an issue. Also made sure to limit excess paint making it a much longer process. I checked and there was barely any noticeable bleed.

Less than a month later the neighbours painted their side black and ruined almost every single slat on every panel on "our" side.

Furious doesn't come close..

Associate
Can echo the above. Painted a massive fence for my ex's parents a few summers back. Painted it green as it was green on the neighbours side so any bleed wouldn't be as much of an issue. Also made sure to limit excess paint making it a much longer process. I checked and there was barely any noticeable bleed.

Less than a month later the neighbours painted their side black and ruined almost every single slat on every panel on "our" side.

Furious doesn't come close..
I had this many years ago at my old property but it was a shared fence and boundary so I just used the identical product on my side of the fence a week later.
Is the fence your property or is it your neighbours/shared fence?

Back
Top Bottom