Half-Life: Alyx

Soldato
Impressed how polished it is on the cv1 rift. I imagine it looks even better on index but no complaints at all.

I imagine the colour and contrast will be quite a bit better than the Index, which has really poor black levels and the colours are slightly washed out.

The biggest wins for me on the index are the clarity and FOV, and though I find the index controllers not really as well laid out as the Touch controllers, one of the most immersive things is being able to push open doors with a fully open hand. It's funny how little things like that really add to the immersion.

Man of Honour
I imagine the colour and contrast will be quite a bit better than the Index, which has really poor black levels and the colours are slightly washed out.

The biggest wins for me on the index are the clarity and FOV, and though I find the index controllers not really as well laid out as the Touch controllers, one of the most immersive things is being able to push open doors with a fully open hand. It's funny how little things like that really add to the immersion.

Interesting, doors do feel a tiny bit clumsy with the touch controllers.

Not played yet, but can't want to see what the Index can actually do, take it this is basically the VR killer app everyone was waiting for?

I think so. Other stuff like Lone Echo has been great but this I think should motivate a lot of people to take the plunge.

Soldato
Not played yet, but can't want to see what the Index can actually do, take it this is basically the VR killer app everyone was waiting for?

Depends what you mean by killer app...

It's very, very good... but will it spur mass widescale adoption of VR on it's own? No I don't think so. I think rather than a single "killer app" it's more of a watershed moment that shows how good a VR game can be - it's not that there haven't been some very good VR games already but this definitely has more mainstream appeal than many and for the most part manages to fudge things enough that nothing feels particularly clunky.

If anyone is playing this on rift/quest I definitely recommend some AMVR or mamut style grips to give you the index like ability to open your hand - makes throwing and using the gravity gloves significantly better imo.

Soldato
There are a few omissions - for instance you can't melee anything, unlike Boneworks which handles melee really well. A couple of times I ran out of ammo and wanted to hit a head-crab with a pole or other object and it didn't work. Given HL's dependency on the crowbar in previous games it's a bit of a big omission.

Associate
There are a few omissions - for instance you can't melee anything, unlike Boneworks which handles melee really well. A couple of times I ran out of ammo and wanted to hit a head-crab with a pole or other object and it didn't work. Given HL's dependency on the crowbar in previous games it's a bit of a big omission.

This was one of the first things that I noticed!

When you unblock the train doors and are faced with a Zombie my first reaction was to stick him with the pipe I had in my hand!

Also...no smooth turn?

Soldato

No melee does suck a little.

This was one of the first things that I noticed!

When you unblock the train doors and are faced with a Zombie my first reaction was to stick him with the pipe I had in my hand!

haha, that's exactly what I tried to do!!

I thought the game was building up to that moment, you drop down into a subway car, the door is barred by an iron bar. You open the door, headcrab zombie starts running at you... And look what you happen to be carrying, a good solid iron bar. So swing that mother with all your might and......... Nothing!!

Was so disappointing!!

Associate
Can't get over how good this is. Absolutely everything I could have hoped for (except smooth turning, why are we forced to snap??). Excellent on a CV1 - sure it's even better on newer hardware.

Soldato
Can't get over how good this is. Absolutely everything I could have hoped for (except smooth turning, why are we forced to snap??). Excellent on a CV1 - sure it's even better on newer hardware.

Smooth turning causes motion sickness in many people, so they limit it to 30 degree segments, you can obviously physically turn yourself but forced rotation by controls is limited.

Associate
Actually - after a bit more of a Google it appears that smooth turn should be in the game but the menu command to enable it is bugged. Hopefully fixed soon.

Associate
Arrrghh
I want to play but I've got a 4690k with 1070 so not sure if I'll end up with disappointing performance.
Made a post in the advice forum about potential mobo/cpu upgrade but a lot of dollar just for Alyx

Back
Top Bottom