• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HDR not working on new 5700xt

Soldato
OP
I’ve got a 1080ti and play RDR2 on an LG 4K tv, hdr looks fantastic, my partner has a Samsung TV and HDR looks washed out on it , without changing any settings it’s fine back on the LG display, I’d bet a toilet roll that’s the problem. :)

I have around 1000 hours playing HDR on my gtx 1080.
Around 150 hours on red dead this month in HDR on my gtx 1080.

I have no issues playing red dead on my gtx 1080 in HDR it looks stunning. Only thing is my gtx 1080 is low framerate.

This is a 5700xt issue. Every time I boot red dead it's in a different resolution and colour pallet.

Im sure if your lg got sent a 560p black and white signal it would look just as bad.

Around 1 in 5 atemps it boots in 1440p with HDR on.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have around 1000 hours playing HDR on my gtx 1080.
Around 150 hours on red dead this month in HDR on my gtx 1080.

I have no issues playing red dead on my gtx 1080 in HDR it looks stunning. Only thing is my gtx 1080 is low framerate.

This is a 5700xt issue. Every time I boot red dead it's in a different resolution and colour pallet.

Im sure if your lg got sent a 560p black and white signal it would look just as bad.
Ah, sorry.

I misinterpreted your post, which is nothing unusual to me. :o

Soldato
OP
Ah, sorry.

I misinterpreted your post, which is nothing unusual to me. :o

It's me Im just getting frustrated with the card.

After a 6 hours run borderlands 3 yesterday I was loving the card. I logged into red dead to do my daily mission, it should have taken 5mins. Ended up taking an hour of messing about with game deciding it wants to boot up in 560p and black screen on me then getting stuck in 4k.

After I managed to do my daily (done it without HDR) logged back into borderlands the one game that was working great only to be met with resolution and screen tearing issues then the graphics driver failed.

I got BL3 working again with freesync and HDR after about 10 mins but still not really what signed up for when I bought this card.

I want to like this card, most my graphics cards have been AMD because I like value and I like free games. Also my tv has freesync.

I got a really good deal on my 5700xt so swapping over from my gtx 1080 is only going to cost me around £50 and for that I get fresh warranty and the extra frames im looking for and freesync.

I could get a 2070s but they are way overpriced and can't afford it. So not an option.
Although sad thing is people are reporting that the freesync now works perfectly with 20 series and my tv.

Associate
I don't own any TV or Monitor with HDR but I see a setting in Win10 that states . . .

Play HDR games and apps from the Windows HD Color Settings menu, You happen to have that setting enabled?

Soldato
OP
I don't own any TV or Monitor with HDR but I see a setting in Win10 that states . . .

Play HDR games and apps from the Windows HD Color Settings menu, You happen to have that setting enabled?

Yeah, windows is set to HDR, that part is working fine and putting out HDR signal properly in both 444 8 and 422 10.

A lot of the games don't even give you the options for HDR unless it is switched on in windows.

Associate
Yeah, windows is set to HDR, that part is working fine and putting out HDR signal properly in both 444 8 and 422 10.

A lot of the games don't even give you the options for HDR unless it is switched on in windows.

Do you have to turn it off if the game does not support HDR or is it automatic?

Soldato
OP
Do you have to turn it off if the game does not support HDR or is it automatic?

You can leave it on 24/7 but the non HDR stuff looks better without it.

On my gtx 1080 I just left it on 24/7 because all my games are HDR apart from overwatch which looks fine anyway.

Associate
Have you adjusted the slider to full on the hdr/sdr picture thing? On my Sony tv I had to set the hdmi ports to advanced mode or something. And for a game to display hdr is has to support hdr.

Soldato
OP
Im getting so upset with this card.

The simplest things like playing my 4k tv in 1440p 120hz seem really hard work as the settings just go out the window when ever you boot the game up and changing in game doesn't help.

All this fancy overlay and you can't even set refresh rate. My games keep getting stuck in 60hz.

Basically it's just doing what ever hz and res it feels like and Im getting no where with it.

Man of Honour
Im getting so upset with this card.

The simplest things like playing my 4k tv in 1440p 120hz seem really hard work as the settings just go out the window when ever you boot the game up and changing in game doesn't help.

All this fancy overlay and you can't even set refresh rate. My games keep getting stuck in 60hz.

Basically it's just doing what ever hz and res it feels like and Im getting no where with it.
Not sure if it's the same but I had a similar issue on my Vega 64, I had it set to 144hz in Windows etc and when I loaded a game it wouldn't get off 60Hz, I then chose in the game settings to play in windowed mode and then my 144hz kicked in? Don't know if that'll help?

Soldato
OP
I sadly ended up having to arrange a return.

The 5700xt just does not like my setup and running my 4k tv in 1440p 120hz HDR. I tried for days, it was stressful and in the end I only ever managed to get 2 of the 7 games I tested to work in HDR.

I stuck my gtx 1080 back in and everything worked first time.

I will just have to put up with the lower framer until next gen nvidia arrives.

Soldato
OP
What games? Not every game supports HDR you do know that?

The ones I currently have installed are.

Resident evil 2
Resident evil 3 (demo)
Resident evil 7
crackdown
mortal Kombat
red dead
borderlands 3

I have a load more HDR games like Gears of war, monster hunter, devil may cry etc... but they are not installed because of low ssd space.

The ones I tested had different issues each game really. The resident evil games would go 1440p 120hz and boot up fine but were black and white in HDR as shown in earlier video. The games like crackdown booted up in hdr then at main menu the picture flicked on and off a couple of times and then switched off the hdr signal.

Red dead I did have working in HDR 1440p 120hz a couple of times but this was the biggest fail it kept switching to random resolution on start up like 560p 720p or just black screening. It took around 1 in 5 attemps to get red dead on in the right resolution and HDR.

Borderlands 3 was the biggest success and I had a lot of fun playing it at 1440p 120hz HDR with freesync on. Once it was on and running it was great but still had issues booting up and staying at desired resolution and hz.

The card seems perfectly fine on the desktop at both 1440p 120hz or 4k 60hz but just can't seem to keep it the signal for the games and will often flick to something else and my 1440p games keep defaulting to 60hz instead of 120hz.

I tried for days and read loads on internet but couldn't find any solutions just other people with same problems.

Anyway I have switched back to my gtx 1080 where hdr works on all my games and it has no trouble running 1440p 120hz on my 4k screen.

It really makes me appreciate what I have with my gtx 1080 where everything works first time.

Caporegime
The ones I currently have installed are.

Resident evil 2
Resident evil 3 (demo)
Resident evil 7
crackdown
mortal Kombat
red dead
borderlands 3

I have a load more HDR games like Gears of war, monster hunter, devil may cry etc... but they are not installed because of low ssd space.

The ones I tested had different issues each game really. The resident evil games would go 1440p 120hz and boot up fine but were black and white in HDR as shown in earlier video. The games like crackdown booted up in hdr then at main menu the picture flicked on and off a couple of times and then switched off the hdr signal.

Red dead I did have working in HDR 1440p 120hz a couple of times but this was the biggest fail it kept switching to random resolution on start up like 560p 720p or just black screening. It took around 1 in 5 attemps to get red dead on in the right resolution and HDR.

Borderlands 3 was the biggest success and I had a lot of fun playing it at 1440p 120hz HDR with freesync on. Once it was on and running it was great but still had issues booting up and staying at desired resolution and hz.

The card seems perfectly fine on the desktop at both 1440p 120hz or 4k 60hz but just can't seem to keep it the signal for the games and will often flick to something else and my 1440p games keep defaulting to 60hz instead of 120hz.

I tried for days and read loads on internet but couldn't find any solutions just other people with same problems.

Anyway I have switched back to my gtx 1080 where hdr works on all my games and it has no trouble running 1440p 120hz on my 4k screen.

It really makes me appreciate what I have with my gtx 1080 where everything works first time.
I'll make sure engineering take a look at this.

Have you tried an older driver, starting with 19.12.1 and then trying earlier drivers? I have used HDR without issue on the 5700 XT previously.

Soldato
OP
I'll make sure engineering take a look at this.

Have you tried an older driver, starting with 19.12.1 and then trying earlier drivers? I have used HDR without issue on the 5700 XT previously.

Hey Matt,

I tried the driver you suggested 19.12.1 and everything was the same.

I gave up trying drivers after this because even if I did find one that worked it would mean being stuck on old drivers.

Also there were other threads from 6 months ago with people having same issues running 1440p 120hz on their 4k tv's.

Caporegime
Hey Matt,

I tried the driver you suggested 19.12.1 and everything was the same.

I gave up trying drivers after this because even if I did find one that worked it would mean being stuck on old drivers.

Also there were other threads from 6 months ago with people having same issues running 1440p 120hz on their 4k tv's.
I believe all of those games should work okay on an older driver, so worth a try if you want to use HDR, but it's up to you.

Soldato
OP
I believe all of those games should work okay on an older driver, so worth a try if you want to use HDR, but it's up to you.

I returned the card Matt.

I will just stick with my gtx 1080 for now until next gen.

If you could get AMD to fix the compatibility issues with the 4k HDR tv's that would be nice then I can get big navi. The wording on their website seems to suggest that they haven't even considered some people want to play 1440p 120hz instead of 4k 60hz on their QLED.

Back
Top Bottom