What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Watched a couple over the weekend.

Kursh - The last misson 7/10
Must confess to having a soft spot for any submarine based film, so I was always going to like this, however I think it stands up for itself regardless

Apollo 11 7/10
Documentry on Netflix following the Moon landing mission. Made up from all original footage. Interesting watch, & saw some footage I'd not see before

Hound of the Baskervilles (1939) 8/10
I am a big fan of the old black & white movies, & TCM were showing all the original Basil Rathbone Sherlock Homes films last week.
What they lack in FX they make up for in atmosphere.
Have you seen the Jeremy Brett version?

Associate
Yesterday and today I did watch The Bourne Ultimatum, The Bourne Legacy and Jason Bourne. So I've seen all 5 movies in the last few days where I must say that the Ultimatum movie is most likely the strongest movie in the series and Legacy/Jason Bourne the two weakest ones.

Associate
Ip Man 3 (2015) - 7/10

Another great martial arts movie with a plot that focuses on the politics of the time.

The plot isn’t as tight as it could have been with 2 villains and a very emotional sub-plot, but the fight scenes are great and the style of combat is entertaining to watch.

Not as funny as the others and having Mike Tyson in it was a bit odd, as is their general attitude and culture surrounding martial arts.

Soldato
Dragged Across Concrete - 7½ / 10

Once two overzealous cops get suspended from the force, they must delve into the criminal underworld to get their proper compensation.

A little slow in places, but also quite tense. Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn as two cops attempting to rob the bad guys for their retirement funds!

Soldato
The Flu. Korean film about a major SARS type outbreak. Maybe not the best subject matter given the current situation and the fact I’m now off for 7 days as I have a dry cough and feel like Madonna looks.

But there were some fine looking Korean ladies in it. Plus another film from that part of the world where a kid character doesn’t make me hope the kid dies horribly. The other one recently was The Meg. Also I must’ve had some dust blow into my eyes at one point when said kid did an emotional bit. Damn dust.

Man of Honour
I watched a few Studio Ghibli films. I really like these films where it’s localised drama and not all ‘saving the world’. I ended up enjoying some much more than I anticipated I would.

My Neighbour Totoro - Cute and whimsical, with such great childlike imagination. Surprising how much it made you want a good ending. You have to love that mode of transport! 10/10

Princess Mononoko - I really really enjoyed the world building of this film, which was definitely the best thing about it - the world felt really complete and real. But it was admittedly very long and meandering so I did start becoming conscious of the time. Also, there are so many stubborn characters in this film, it’s infuriating! I guess that’s the point. 8/10

Kiki’s Delivery Service - I never thought I would say this but this film was my favourite of the lot. Have quite a few emotional moments and really reminded me at times of when I travelled alone and sometimes it was hard and lonely. It was somewhat anxiety inducing in parts! But mostly a really fun, good spirited film. 10/10

Arrietty - This was by far away the worst of the lot. Utterly redundant and predictable, with no real emotional punch to carry it. It was really quite tedious and boring. If you’ve ever seen The Borrowers then you’ve seen Arrietty. The most memorable thing about it is a scene where a crow goes absolutely mental and someone beats the **** of it. POW! Take that, ya ****in’ crow!! 3/10

Soldato
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 4/10

I was looking forward to it, the first movie i've watched in 6 week.
I enjoyed the other movies a lot more.

What is the point of building things up, if your just going to not both now.

im not going to spoil things but a lot of things make no sense at all, even less when you think if they took a little more time they could have made more money.
Who ever made this is an idiot, wasting all the work done in the recent movies, its as if they started throwing darts at ideas and going what every they hit.

No build up in some areas, Not very
logical, rushed, leaving things things unanswered or with basic answers.

Could have been done much better and had some fan service.

What a waste

Soldato
Harley Quinn - 3/10 - HQ was a loveable, cheeky but mental character in Suicide Squad yet in this she's just a seriously unlikeable "See You Next Tuesday" through-out with zero redeeming character aspects given to her. Robbie really tries to carry-off the same loveable shtick as before but the character is written so poorly she can't pull off any empathy and it just falls flat. Perez is OK as the jaded cop and both Huntress and Black Canary are fairly interesting, plus both can handle the stuntwork way better than Robbie can (she has some extremely helpful stuntmen throw themselves around her whilst the other two actually worked hard at it). The kid is just an annoying McGuffin with no development (something all of these characters lack) and the bad guy MacGregor is too much of a one dimensional pastiche to be effective as a villain.

TBH the best acted, charactered person was the scarred henchman. He alone had the screen menace required to hold your attention whenever he was on screen (whats the loonie going to do next????) which is a sorry state of affairs for a HQ movie where she should be the focus.

Visually it energetic and dynamic with some good stunt work for a very over-taxed team but the story is seemingly from the dream-world of a 5 year old with massive loop holes, events occurring purely because the script says so rather than seeming to happen organically and the direction is barely adequate (I don't see her making another $85m+ film like this again).

My biggest annoyance is that both men and women enjoyed HQ from Suicide Squad so this film should have been an easy win, yet by having cast & crew slate "men" during the run up the films release, they've poisoned the HQ brand after this flop of a film. How hard is it to not say "feminism good, men bad" during the press tour and just say "its a film for everyone, come along and have fun with us!!!" instead, thus avoiding a negative media campaign which can only hurt the box office.

Soldato
Saturday night: The world's end

Not the first time I've watched it but still funny. Reminds me of Peter Jackson's Bad taste but with better music. No useful survival tips..

Soldato
Airplane

Hadn't seen it in about 25 years and it was very funny. Many jokes that probably went over my head the first time.

8/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 4/10
im not going to spoil things but a lot of things make no sense at all, even less when you think if they took a little more time they could have made more money.
Who ever made this is an idiot, wasting all the work done in the recent movies, its as if they started throwing darts at ideas and going what every they hit.
The trilogy was dead the moment it began.

Back
Top Bottom