• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black screen of death, power save

Associate
I have two systems, one with an AMD rx580, and one with a vega 56. Both exhibit a occasional power save, that is the monitor power saves yet pc continues to appear to. Operate normally.
Is this a common AMD problem? Any ideas? There is not pattern to The BSOD. I don't have any other gpus to test with. One on win 7, one win 10 1903. Windows and graphics are updated. Are amds gpus drivers just garbage, or can I fix this?
Thanks!

Associate
How long have you had them and is this the first time it happened? Maybe revert to an older driver?

Got my RX 570 and a couple of Navis in 20 drivers without that issue. It could be your monitor settings.

Associate
OP
Probably six months now. One system is fairly new. The other a few years older. The two monitors I'm using are an older dell panel, dell 2407fpw, both the same, but they have served me well over multiple systems. Both run OK at full load and don't overheat from what I can see. What monitor settings could cause this? There isn't a power save I'm aware of. A Google gave me a long list of people on the Web with similar BSOD issues unsolved with AMD cards hence my comment on their drivers.

Associate
Probably six months now. One system is fairly new. The other a few years older. The two monitors I'm using are an older dell panel, dell 2407fpw, both the same, but they have served me well over multiple systems. Both run OK at full load and don't overheat from what I can see. What monitor settings could cause this? There isn't a power save I'm aware of. A Google gave me a long list of people on the Web with similar BSOD issues unsolved with AMD cards hence my comment on their drivers.

I believe you. Others are suffering as well. Can you try swap them up or hook up a tv (by it self) just to rule out the monitors.

I think i read another member fixing the issue by disabling hybrid sleep.

EDIT: I just checked mine under Advance Power Settings and my Hybrid Sleep is ON. PCIe Link State if OFF. Those are Default settings.

Last edited:
Associate
Sad to see this is still a thing, think I had 3 different 290's from 3 different manufacturers that all did this, drove me insane for about a year.

Worst/best thing is because it is a idle power state the problem doesn't happen under load so is really hard to test for.

Associate
Sad to see this is still a thing, think I had 3 different 290's from 3 different manufacturers that all did this, drove me insane for about a year.

Worst/best thing is because it is a idle power state the problem doesn't happen under load so is really hard to test for.

I have 2 290s with blocks on them sitting in the closet now. None of them exhibited blackscreen. Bought one at launch and the other from a miner after a year.

Associate
I'm not sure it's as simple as "it's amd drivers". I've had a 480, vega 56,vega 64 and now a 5700xt. All in different builds, and all still in use and have never had a black screen, nor have any of the people whom are now using the builds.

I do see a lot of people talking about black screens, though the tech you tubers reviewing the cards couldn't replicate it either.

No wonder why Amd can't seem to get to the bottom of it either.

Caporegime
Pretty sure I had this (monitor will not wake once PC stops sending display signals) with AMD cards.

It was only a problem on DisplayPort. Never had the issue previously on DVI.

Bought a different DP cable and the problem went away. Apparently lots of DP cables are out-of-spec and connect pins that should always be disconnected. Or something.

I now have another AMD-exclusive problem: "Night Light" is disabled when monitor goes into standby (ctrl-shift-alt-b (driver reset) fixes it).

Man of Honour
When does the black screen happen? Are you able to recover from it? The black screen where the system freezes mid-game and only a restart recovers it, I got it when Windows forcibly updated my drivers (around December) after years of smooth running. Uninstalled them, blocked Windows from updating drivers, now running 19.11.3 and no problems since.

Back
Top Bottom