MOT exemption from 30th March

Soldato
Ah perfect.

They were just saying on Q/A yesterday with a home affairs correspondent that people could still go out and get an MOT.

I guess this way they can insist mot stations are shut.

I assume i am reading this right in that this applies to every person, not just key workers?

Caporegime
Mine ran out on 6th March, National windscreens turned up to fit windscreen in the rain and said they couldn't do it in rain so booked it in for fitting at their site but as i was away they wouldn't do it until i had been in country 14 day (few weeks ago now) Parked at mates house before flying out the country and Im still away. Not sure how long its gonna be before i can get a new screen either :(

Associate
Mine expires on Friday 27th and I called in and made an MOT appointment with the garage last Friday, earliest available was 10am tomorrow. They never took any contact details from me and now I'm loathe to ring and check whether it's still on as it might give them the chance to cancel.
Assuming my MOT goes ahead I wonder what happens in the event of a fail that's going to take a day or two to get any parts required to repair the vehicle, nowadays the tester logs the car into the VOSA portal before beginning the test so will they be able to do re-tests after the 30th or will the entire online MOT online portal be closed down?

Associate
My MOT on S2000 runs out 1st of June, car has been sorn since last October.

I am hoping that even though it is sorn i will still get the 6th month extension because that would mean it would see me through the the summer and wont need a MOT until next may when i put the car back on the road again. Also means i dont have to mess about taking supercharger off to pass the MOT!

Soldato
Just had mine done by Ford Dealer today, dropped it off this morning and then heard the 6 month window announcement, nevermind glad to get it done as wonder what the leeway will be or will everyone who's has expired try and get theirs done as soon as the window closes.

Caporegime
I'm not sure this is good news really. Just means a rise in unroadworthy cars on the road in reality.

I know that's not the intention of the exemption, but let's face it, that's going to be the outcome.

Don
My MOT was up yesterday. Had it booked in on Monday but the garage called and cancelled until next week. Ended up SORN'ing it for the time being as I have another car and it wouldn't have been used much, if at all for months now.

Soldato
Awesome. Mine was on Monday and had an annoying fault which cost £150 to repair to get it passed that day but in reality didn't need doing at all.
That's my luck all over.

Associate
My MOT was due to run out the 28th March and I had it booked in at Sytner Solihull today but when I got there the workshop guys said they couldn’t do my MOT and that they were only doing work on police vehicles etc now, luckily an independent garage was able to do it for me straight away although not the most thorough MOT I have ever had done with me being on my way home with it all done 25 minutes after asking him if he could do it for me today :)

Soldato
Ni has already been through this, although for different reasons. I solved the problem by just getting another car with a longer mot :p (jesting aside that wasnt the only reason i changed car)

Of course the basic rules of maintaining roadworthiness still apply as they would between normal mot tests. Its not a get out of jail free card for (insert unsafe fault here).

although some folk seem to think that having an mot certificate is a 12 month guarantee of perfect mechanical condition.

Back
Top Bottom