Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeah, they're Reynolds AR41 DB.

That's unlucky. Any idea what got caught?

It was my action camera :( Hit a huge pothole and I guess it jarred it free. It was attached to a cable, which I think is what cost me, as it meant rather than it dropping to the ground, it swung into my spokes. I'm rather lucky, I suppose it could have been a lot worse. I also suppose not bad luck, but my own fault. I was sure it was secure, but I guess not. :( Never mind. Looking on the bright side I'm unharmed and I was able to ride (very slowly) home on it.

Soldato
Got up to date and only waiting on two parts and we can close.

Decided to finish my bike off, tightened the hose into the shifter and the shifter cracks. :o

I don't think it was too tight as they are generally loose until you feel it stop as the olive takes shape and that's it. Oh well. Need to stay in work until Thursday now :D

Soldato
Ordered a new cassette & chain from Merlin yesterday. I tried some sprint intervals on the turbo last week and when I unleashed the POWERRRRRRRRR, the chain jumped horribly and I thought I was going to go over the bars :eek:

Soldato
Yeah there's nothing worse than that feeling.

Had a customer yesterday say about his gears slipping but they looked fine in the work stand.

Set of pushing quite hard on and off to check the freehub body and the chain ring dropped the chain. Saddle into my arse and a cut on my leg. Good Times. :D

Soldato
Have you guys seen the new route planning on the Strava app? Seems really good. (Explore --> Explore Routes) Tell it distance, surface type, gradient preference and it plots three routes for you based on what roads people like to use. Going to try one today :)

It's an intresting idea, I wonder where the route suggestions are coming? Local Strava mebers saved routes?

From the few times I've tried the feature to see what it comes up with without actually riding it, the "hilly" elevation routes for 30+ mile rides from SO18 are a bit lacklustre, when I could climb at least two cat4 climbs between Bishops's Waltham and Coombe on a ~30 mile loop.

Soldato
I've used it twice now and loved both routes. For me it's amazing as I'm not that adventurous, so it's setting it out for me, nice and simple.

Great ride today, back on the Felt. I forgot actually how fast that bike is. It's not really any slower than the Canyon (well, if it is, it's a reasonably small difference) but the brakes are shocking and the gear changes just aren't as precise. Did a 32 mile route that Strava planned for me, with some lovely little bike routes on it that I probably wouldn't even have seen myself...

Soldato
Used the new routing again today, but used the 'draw your own' type option at the bottom, which is perhaps even more amazing. Drew a rough loop that gave me a 26 mile ride and off I went. Unfortunately, 10 miles in my luck struck again. Hit a huge pothole which caused a flat front tyre. No problem, I have two spare tubes and 6 patches. Put the first spare tube in, and once again, I couldn't get the pump off without removing the valve core. Tightened with the core key, but it would still come out with the pump. I don't know if I then over tightened it, but the core basically broke. Okay, tube number #2. Getting the same problem, so tried not attaching the pump so tightly, but it didn't seem to want to stay inflated. I know, I'll just try and patch the initial tube. 5 patches on and it seemed to be holding pressure, off I go.

ywQorDWh.jpg

Two more miles in and it was flat again. Pumped up and carried on, hoping that worse case I would need to pump it every couple of miles. Two more miles and it was flat and this time not holding pressure. I was now 14 miles out, 13 miles to go... so perhaps the worse place to be. Got the tube off and was examining the four patches trying to find the leak. I could hear it, but I think it was actually escaping from a couple of the patches and I only had one patch left. I was trying to fix this at a bus stop and a bus pulled up and waited there... I thought I might as well get closer to home, so jumped on and went to Borehamwood on it.

9QXZ0Yvh.jpg

In Borehamwood I realised how to get my pump off without removing the core. If you press the sliding bit of the end of the pump onto the core as you unscrew, you loose a little air, but the score stays put. Knowing this, I went back to tube #1 and pumped that up... I could hear air escape though. Patched it with my one remaining patch and it seemed to hold. Put it all back together and put enough air back in to get me the last 5 miles home.

Literally 5 minutes after getting home I actually herd the patch give way and the air all gushing out of tube #1... close call!

I've ordered 4 more tubes and 5 more patch kits. They should come tomorrow. Hopefully in time for me to get out again. Whilst I am a 'key worker' I have this week off and want to make the most of this amazing weather! (I actually have tan lines from today!)

Caporegime
Used the new routing again today, but used the 'draw your own' type option at the bottom, which is perhaps even more amazing. Drew a rough loop that gave me a 26 mile ride and off I went. Unfortunately, 10 miles in my luck struck again. Hit a huge pothole which caused a flat front tyre. No problem, I have two spare tubes and 6 patches. Put the first spare tube in, and once again, I couldn't get the pump off without removing the valve core. Tightened with the core key, but it would still come out with the pump. I don't know if I then over tightened it, but the core basically broke. Okay, tube number #2. Getting the same problem, so tried not attaching the pump so tightly, but it didn't seem to want to stay inflated. I know, I'll just try and patch the initial tube. 5 patches on and it seemed to be holding pressure, off I go.

Two more miles in and it was flat again. Pumped up and carried on, hoping that worse case I would need to pump it every couple of miles. Two more miles and it was flat and this time not holding pressure. I was now 14 miles out, 13 miles to go... so perhaps the worse place to be. Got the tube off and was examining the four patches trying to find the leak. I could hear it, but I think it was actually escaping from a couple of the patches and I only had one patch left. I was trying to fix this at a bus stop and a bus pulled up and waited there... I thought I might as well get closer to home, so jumped on and went to Borehamwood on it.

https://i.imgur.com/9QXZ0Yvh.jpg

In Borehamwood I realised how to get my pump off without removing the core. If you press the sliding bit of the end of the pump onto the core as you unscrew, you loose a little air, but the score stays put. Knowing this, I went back to tube #1 and pumped that up... I could hear air escape though. Patched it with my one remaining patch and it seemed to hold. Put it all back together and put enough air back in to get me the last 5 miles home.

Literally 5 minutes after getting home I actually herd the patch give way and the air all gushing out of tube #1... close call!

I've ordered 4 more tubes and 5 more patch kits. They should come tomorrow. Hopefully in time for me to get out again. Whilst I am a 'key worker' I have this week off and want to make the most of this amazing weather! (I actually have tan lines from today!)

No offence, but this is reasons why we should be calming the cycling down now.

Keep close to home, and be sensible. Or get on the turbo trainer.

Soldato
I wouldn't have said that was all that far from home? 10 miles? I would also say I was being sensible. It was not a huge ride, I was not pushing new boundaries, surely I was just very unlucky? (And maybe a little stupid, I've had trouble with this pump before, so very glad I've worked a way around the 'core issue') Not sure how one of my brand new Continental inner tubes had a leak. Has anyone had this before?

My bigger concern, that I am being very aware of, is to not get in an accident and take up any of the NHS's resources. **touches wood**

Caporegime
You got unneccasarily on public transport because you wanted to cycle.

Only takes 'unlucky' to make someone Ill. It's far enough if you can't get back under your own steam, IMO. I'm only making a passing comment, too easy to pass things on within this scenario.

Soldato
Yeah, I get your point. It's all about being sensible, which I believe I am being. I had 6 patches and two tubes... I thought that would be plenty! If you're going to say don't cycle further than you can walk home, you basically shouldn't bother at all. I am staying at home, bar my one exercise a day, which tbh has never needed me to go on a bus before and is unlikely to again, especially given what I learnt today. Had I known what I now know beforehand, I wouldn't have needed a bus today either. All in all, it's still very low risk.

Soldato
Try and look up the road and unweight the bike a bit before hitting rough bits of road. I run 23mm tyres and barely get punctures as I'd say I'm quite relaxed on the bike, even when pressing on.

Finally got my bike finished and left the shop for up to 3 months now. Set of dura ace pedals fitted keeping it light :D

Soldato
I agree of course. The non hi mod in black is too plain for me. Love the gloss with the colour and the branding on the downtube.

Front end with and without a flash. Didn't realise the tyres had reflective sidewalls, feels like I have marathon plus tyres on.

Back
Top Bottom