Taking car off the road - Advice

Soldato
It's very easy to plug charger into the garage and the charger into the socket in the boot. I'll have to see if I can find where I put the crocodile clips in the garage and dig out an extension lead

I don't think you're supposed to charge directly to the battery in the boot, use the battery points under the bonnet.

Soldato
Probably going to stop using mine as well but will be kept on the drive. The handbrake on mine usually ends up binding if I don't drive it for a while, take it that its ok to just leave it in gear with the handbrake off? Its parked on a bit of a slope.

Soldato
OP
Probably going to stop using mine as well but will be kept on the drive. The handbrake on mine usually ends up binding if I don't drive it for a while, take it that its ok to just leave it in gear with the handbrake off? Its parked on a bit of a slope.

That's what I do with the Zed anyway since it's not a daily driver and it's fine. The brakes do still bind, just not as quickly or as bad

I would look for stored vehicle insurance, when I was building a kit car cover was not very expensive.
Andi.

Thanks Andi, I'll look into that

Soldato
I thinking of sorning one car when it comes to tax renewal due to having no where other than food shops to go to. Waste of 265 quid for a years tax if no where to go.
Got till june on tax for one car so hoping lockdown is not carried on for so long but meh.
Any others with multiple cars going into the same situation?
How does fuel stabiliser work? Im assuming its not going to impact the fuel in the car if i start car up once every 2 weeks to idle for a while?

Soldato
Can't see mine getting much if any use over the short to medium term so I'm going to stick it on stands, handbrake etc off as some of the above. It's on the drive so insurance will be left to run and I'm on a monthly DD to keep it taxed, will probably just leave that running for now

Not sure what to do about the battery, I don't actually know how to get into the car when it has no power and don't fancy entrusting myself not to close the bonnet if I leave it disconnected. Must be a no power entry solution though so I guess I just need to RTFM

Caporegime
I always store mine through winter. All i do is put some chemical in the fuel, had brake off and keep the windows slightly open and leave it on trickle charge. Before I start it up I pull the fuel pump fuse to crank it a few times before starting if it has been sat a long time.

Back
Top Bottom