Wurds that yew repaetedly spel incorectly?

Man of Honour
I always thought it was diarrhoea
Or is it one of those medical words
That can be spelled different ways?
Like apnea can be apnoea?
And I had to spell check those lol

It's a Greek or Latin origin thing, as is often the case.

If you treat the English word as being derived from Greek, it probably should have the 'o' in it.
If you treat it as being derived from Latin and/or from other languages that got it from Latin, it probably shouldn't have the 'o' in it.

Which leads to the question of which language the English version of the word comes from and the answer is "sort of both" and also "sort of neither because they both got it from an earlier language". So that's helpful :)

It could be argued that using simpler spellings might be more useful in medicine because it might reduce the chance of misunderstanding.
As long as the spelling remains complex enough to retain the relevant information about the problem, of course.

I just did a quick check to see which spelling was derived from Latin and which from Greek because I couldn't remember that detail and I found the root meaning of the word - 'flow through'. Apt.

Associate
Electroencephalography and Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

As a Welshman the latter one always gets me for some reason.

Soldato
It's a Greek or Latin origin thing, as is often the case.

If you treat the English word as being derived from Greek, it probably should have the 'o' in it.
If you treat it as being derived from Latin and/or from other languages that got it from Latin, it probably shouldn't have the 'o' in it.

Which leads to the question of which language the English version of the word comes from and the answer is "sort of both" and also "sort of neither because they both got it from an earlier language". So that's helpful :)

It could be argued that using simpler spellings might be more useful in medicine because it might reduce the chance of misunderstanding.
As long as the spelling remains complex enough to retain the relevant information about the problem, of course.

I just did a quick check to see which spelling was derived from Latin and which from Greek because I couldn't remember that detail and I found the root meaning of the word - 'flow through'. Apt.
Great explanation thanks
Being dyslexic I can't spell it correctly either way lol
Spell check is my best friend :)

Soldato
Well today I have read two West Midlands Ambulance cards and one had your spelling and the other had the one I put.
The two A&E Reports had your spelling and looking down some of my past reports that I've made I alternate between the two.
It all depends which one comes up when I Google :)
Yeah it seems interchangeable
Guess as long as you are reasonably close in spelling there's not many other
Words it could be meaning
Would be easier if could just put
Got the trots :D

Associate
I seem to be completely incapable of spelling from. The amount of times I have to search my work and emails for the word form is ridiculous. Though that's more a typo.

I also seem to like mis-typing account as acocunt.

I also have to double check necessary. I can spell it three different ways in the same body of text. On a page i cannot see the error at all, though ask me to spell it out aloud I'm fine.....weird!

Soldato
Only realised very recently that I've been spelling 'weird' wrong for the entirety of my life. I always spelt it 'wierd', which when you say it out loud makes more sense to me. Spelling has always been one of my strong points so it was a bit awkward when I realised.

Soldato
Unkown - unknown, every single time.

I have no problem spelling 'necessary' though, ever since I heard Tommy Boyd say "never eat cake eat salmon sandwiches and remain young" on The Wide Awake Club.

Soldato
I rarely spell words incorrectly if actually writing them down but on a keyboard my two index fingers seem to get some form of muscle-dyslexia so I misplace letters in words like "what is your fucntion" or hit adjacent letters instead to either replace or add additional ones like "whoch do you like" or "hellop, how are you" etc - These are things I'd never do with a pen and paper yet occur consonantly using a keyboard. Just writing this my spell-checker found a dozen mistakes not including the deliberate ones!

Soldato
Not one I do myself, but this being a computer forum, the constant references to 'a rouge' in games like WoW has to come up, surely?

Personally, I have no confusion at all between the words 'their', 'they're', and 'there'. But when I'm typing fast my fingers seem to just pick one at random without consulting me. I quite often find the wrong one when I read back.

Similarly, if I am writing a sentence with two similar short words in a row - such as "is in", I will sometimes read back and find that my fingers have typed the second word twice instead.

Back
Top Bottom