LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Seriously, I have only just purchased the Alienware AW3420DW now i'm looking to buy this to replace it. @JediFragger, tell me what I need to do, you have had practically every monitor known to man so I respect your advice. Is this monitor that great? The 144hz overclockable to 175hz sounds great I must admit!

Being in lockdown is costing me a fortune :p

Associate
How loud are we talking? Is it some whiny small 80mm fan at max power? My PC is built for room silence, meaning it outputs less noise than room ambience as I want utter silence when browsing/working on it. I have decent desk speakers and headphones but wondering if this will annoy me.

Maybe it's possible to replace it with a much more silent noctua?

i can certainly hear it when i put down my headphones. it's a kind of a low "shhhhhhhhhh" noise if you know what i mean. once i put my headphones on, i can't hear it anymore. i have ordered a different unit form a different retailer, now waiting for that one, i've no idea so far, whether to keep this or return it.

Caporegime
In all seriousness I'm not sure it's worth nigh-on double of the AW you have. It's epic yes, but is it worth double of the AW? I'm not so sure tbh.

But it certainly is quality and the best monitor I've had bar none. Glad I have it atm, that's for sure!!! :D Pair's well with the Ti too, probably do until the proper 7nm cards are out from nVidia.

Associate
Have had both and would say the LG pips the Samsung but both are epic epic screens imo.
I can get this for 1340 (vat and delivery included) or the samsung from OCUK for 1099.... this will just be for office work as it's going to be a dummy terminal for when we have laptops at home to work. no gaming.

With that in mind, is it still better than the samsung?

Last edited:
Soldato
i can certainly hear it when i put down my headphones. it's a kind of a low "shhhhhhhhhh" noise if you know what i mean. once i put my headphones on, i can't hear it anymore. i have ordered a different unit form a different retailer, now waiting for that one, i've no idea so far, whether to keep this or return it.

Thanks for the input, this might be a no go for me then unless people find a way to replace the fan for a more silent option.

Associate
In all seriousness I'm not sure it's worth nigh-on double of the AW you have. It's epic yes, but is it worth double of the AW? I'm not so sure tbh.

But it certainly is quality and the best monitor I've had bar none. Glad I have it atm, that's for sure!!! :D Pair's well with the Ti too, probably do until the proper 7nm cards are out from nVidia.

Thanks for the honesty!!! I will hold out for the moment !

Associate
yeah i'm going to be sending it back. i'm not willing to put up with it, not for 2000 euro.

i love the screen estate, i feel like 38" with 1600 vertical is ideal from where i'm sitting, i love how responsive it is in games, but this fan thing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, at this price.

Soldato
yeah i'm going to be sending it back. i'm not willing to put up with it, not for 2000 euro.

i love the screen estate, i feel like 38" with 1600 vertical is ideal from where i'm sitting, i love how responsive it is in games, but this fan thing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, at this price.

Eeeee, that annoying eh?

Associate
Eeeee, that annoying eh?

it's the "what was seen, cannot be unseen" type of thing. also the fact that the screen costs this much. at this price point, it has to be pretty much perfect, this is unacceptable for me. if it was like half that price, i think i would keep it.

Associate
Hey guys

I have my 38GL950G fixed on a wall through the VESA mount but with this ****** design it is impossible to connect a DP cable directly in the port as there is absolutely not enough space between the wall and the screen (and DP connectors are pretty big if you want a quality one).

Anyone knows a solution ? Like a 90° quality connector or something ? Can’t find one :(

And by the way, I have the 85Hz back from sleep issue also .... have to turn off/turn on the monitor through the OSD each time I come back to my computer ...

Associate
Hey guys

I have my 38GL950G fixed on a wall through the VESA mount but with this ****** design it is impossible to connect a DP cable directly in the port as there is absolutely not enough space between the wall and the screen (and DP connectors are pretty big if you want a quality one).

Anyone knows a solution ? Like a 90° quality connector or something ? Can’t find one :(

And by the way, I have the 85Hz back from sleep issue also .... have to turn off/turn on the monitor through the OSD each time I come back to my computer ...

I have the 32GK850G which uses the same mounting on the back, and yes it's such an incredibly stupid design to have the cable-plugs facing into the wall. In 2020 EVERY monitor should have downward-facing connectors.

Anyhow, I use a Delock angled DisplayPort adapter and it works fine for me - found it at a local Danish reseller for what equates 10£:

https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_65382/merkmale.html

Even though it's only rated at DP 1.1 my monitor runs fine at 2560x1440@144Hz with GSync. After all I assume it's just wires and no logic. :)

Associate
I have the 32GK850G which uses the same mounting on the back, and yes it's such an incredibly stupid design to have the cable-plugs facing into the wall. In 2020 EVERY monitor should have downward-facing connectors.

Anyhow, I use a Delock angled DisplayPort adapter and it works fine for me - found it at a local Danish reseller for what equates 10£:

https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_65382/merkmale.html

Even though it's only rated at DP 1.1 my monitor runs fine at 2560x1440@144Hz with GSync. After all I assume it's just wires and no logic. :)

Thanks a lot for your answer, I have always been a bit frightened adding another connector between the cable and the monitor, they are so sensitive at those speeds

Associate
Do you activate HDR in Windows 10 with this LG ? I find the brightness / colors etc .. way too aggressive.

Why can't we have an option saying "stay in SDR in Windows but activate HDR in games" for example..

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What cables are people using with this?

I bought a 2m Lindy one rated at 160Hz for 4K (so higher than the native res) but I'm getting occasional flickering on predominately white windows @ 144hz e.g. if I have Outlook open full screen. This is the second cable I've tried and not sure if this is normal or a poor cable? 160hz is noticeably worse.

Worth noting that I'm running the display profile and settings recommended by TFT central ;)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Irony is I'm using a real cheapo oem one gifted to me (when I was short on one) and it works absolutely beautifully at 160hz with the LG. Hell, the cable doesn't even have retention clips so it must be a bit old lol.
Edit: I've turned off variable backlight and everything is rock solid at 160hz.

Fastest response time on, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom