EVH's coronavirus lockdown build

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Who said being in lockdown was boring?

Normally, I'd agree but I've been hard at work creating a little man cave in our spare bedroom. To say it was "full" of the wife's teaching supplies was an understatement... anyway, that lot got boxed up and thrown and this is the result.

From an all white room with a disgusting shade of brown carpet... to this...

7zEMIXH.jpg

v3vPTPS.jpg

This is my first gaming PC in around 6/7 years and my first hardline watercooling build. I think it turned out okay, especially considering I couldn't find many builds online that had 3x 360 radiators and a giant reservoir to steal ideas from to see how they'd mounted things.

The furniture and computer chair is from IKEA, the rug is from Dunelm and the Star Wars prints were purchased off Etsy for around £7 each. I got them framed locally to add a bit of a professional look to them, but they're good enough quality that you could get away with a basic frame.

I have to give a huge thank you to @StigBourne and OcUK for the help with the order process. I think I must have placed about 8 or 9 orders because I kept forgetting bits and pieces :D:o

Specification for the system is as follows:

Tower
  • Asus ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming (Socket sTRX4) ATX Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 32-Core / 64-Threads 3970X 4.50GHz (Socket TRX4) Processor - Retail
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 11264MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
  • Corsair AX1000 Titanium 80 Plus Titanium Power Supply (CP-9020152-UK)
  • 2x 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator RGB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-29000C17 3600MHz Quad Channel Kit (HX436C17PB4AK4)
  • 2x Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (ZP2000GM3A002) in RAID 0

Watercooling kit
  • Corsair Commander PRO RGB LED Controller + Fan Hub - Black
  • 3x Corsair ML120 Pro RGB 120mm Premium Fan with Lighting Node - Triple Fan Pack
  • 3x EK Water Blocks EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple Fan) RadiatorEK Water Blocks EK-Velocity sTR4 D-RGB Threadripper CPU Water Block - Nickel + Plexi
  • EK Water Blocks EK X 250 Reservoir
  • EK Water Blocks EK-Vector EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti Backplate - Black
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC GeForce RTX 2080Ti EVGA FTW3 Graphics Card Water Block - Nickel + Plexi
  • EK 16mm PETG tubing and fittings

Case
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) Aluminium Midi-Tower - Black
  • Lian-Li PC-O11DXL-1 Riser Cable + PCI-E Bracket Kit for PC-O11D ROG Series

Peripherals
  • LG 38GL950 38" 3840x1600 NANO IPS 144Hz G-Sync HDR Widescreen LED Backlit Curved Monitor
  • LOGITECH - G513 GL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • LOGITECH - G502 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
  • LOGITECH G Pro X Headset
  • Wavemaster CUBE MINI NEO - 2.0 Bluetooth Bookshelf Speaker System - Black

Miscellaneous
  • Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 5.5g / 1.5 ml
  • EK Water Blocks EK-Cable Y-Splitter 2-Fan PWM (10cm)
  • EK Water Blocks EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 pin)
  • OcUK Mega Mat XXL Premium Elite Tactical Gaming Surface

XJQClIN.jpg

MX1aZLS.jpg

I went with some Logitech peripherals because I liked the look of the keyboard and mouse and was able to try the keys out at a local store. This was particularly important as I was undecided about linear or clicky or tactile keys. Oh and the RGB.... PC hardware has come a long way since I last had a system :o

scQZ70K.jpg

I'm a stickler for cable management and having a "clean" set up, so I put some planning in to how I was going to hide the cabling.

26NXfFQ.jpg

Behind the PC was easy enough, just a case of using some velcro strips to bundle the cables neatly but I knew under the desk was going to be the big challenge. Enter the wonderful invention that is trunking and a junior hacksaw.

Essentially, I placed the 246cm work top on the Alex drawers then marked where the desk came to, took the work top away and screwed the plastic trunking to the wall with cut outs on the top side, for the cables to enter the trunking. Where the monitor arm fitted to the desk the rear of the trunking passes behind, but I had to cut the front fascia in two pieces. This is actually easier when it comes to adding cables. Not pictured are 2x female USB extension cables that tuck behind the right drawer for when I wish to use headphones or a racing wheel.

i5zvlZ2.jpg

I also covered one wall and the doorway with acoustic foam, as going from carpet to laminate flooring changed the room acoustics significantly. I have been recording my guitar playing for several years using a direct-input digital 4 track recorder, but this is the first time since I completed my Audio Engineering degree that I've recorded my amplifier.

Seeing as I'd spent so much on the rest of the room, I figured I'd also purchase a new audio interface and microphone (Shure SM57).

1SPfooJ.jpg

lgyFeVa.jpg

The lack shelves are pretty basic at the moment with a small collection of 1:18 scale cars from a selection of TV and film, but I am thinking of getting some other collectables to fill out the space a bit. Only adding a photo here as I dare say someone will ask about them.

MI19MIc.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking. Add me on steam if you'd like to play some games :)

https://steamcommunity.com/id/dlorey

Soldato
Stunning room. I'm taking advantage of WFH and have been stripping my 3rd bedroom/PC room (I won't call it a mancave as the whole house is my man cave :D) and and was going to go with light grey walls and dark grey carpet. I love the contrast of the grey/white walls and think I might steal the idea for myself!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Now that! is one heck of a build! One of the best I have seen god damn it EVH!
Thank you kind sir!
That’s a nice build :)
Cheers dude.
Even I'm impressed :D Question. Does the soundproofing help the acoustics, or is it for neighbour reasons?
It won’t stop sound getting out of the room but it takes the edge off the reflections so there’s a lot less echo/reverb.

Thankfully we live in a detached home, plus the amp is loud enough to play arenas so no amount of foam is going to stop that :D

Associate
Very nice Indeed. I would mess that up in about 5 minutes.:D After working from home this week I have order sheets, phones, vape mods, tea cups, pens, pencils, usb sticks, cleaning cloths, notepads, and a pencil pot on my desk right now!

Soldato
Sorry, I’m not allowed to travel Mr Borris Johnson said so :p

Plus, I hate cable tidying at the best of times! Ha!
Bloody boris
It's his fault then that my pc room looks
Like a bombsite :D:D
And you may hate it but got a talent for it:):)

Very nice Indeed. I would mess that up in about 5 minutes.:D After working from home this week I have order sheets, phones, vape mods, tea cups, pens, pencils, usb sticks, cleaning cloths, notepads, and a pencil pot on my desk right now!
Sounds like my desk
And I don't even have the working from home excuse :)
I am just a force of nature
Stuff automatically gets cluttered around anywhere I am it's not my fault . :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That username, those guitars, and you didn't do a Van Halen colour scheme in your lighting? Get on and do a red, black and white PC setup already!

Stunning :cool: added you on Steam btw.

Associate
Awesome build and super clean. I have a nice reception room as my pc room but its open to the world (no doors). so I have no choice but let my girls run all around me. anyway need that clean build in my life. I have mine built in a desk and it's not bad i guess.

Back
Top Bottom