RIP Albert Uderzo

Caporegime
His name might not mean a lot to many of you, but his work was a big part of my childhood. I grew up reading Asterix books and had a huge collection. His illustrations in them were just awesome and unrivalled to this day imo. The way he drew the characters and action was just perfect. Will always hold the Asterix stories in my heart, just wonderful creations. RIP Albert :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52016721

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Never knew his name but loved the books as a child too, I even have a couple still. So well illustrated and reminds me to pass them along to my son when he's old enough. Thanks for posting this, good memories. Shame I can't go to my mums loft and go check them out. I used to get engrossed in the details of illustrated books like these as a kid.

I have always been creative minded and really wish I'd kept up my drawing, maybe I can re-kindle that during lockdown.

Caporegime
OP
What I found really clever about the writing and illustrations was the way it developed with the readers age.

as a kid, you enjoyed the drawings and the action and the writing was a simple explanation, but as the reader got older, more of the subtle and quite often, dark humour unlocked itself, as well as some of the more, ahem, controversial aspects and caricatures, such as the black pirate having enormous lips.

In particular the names. The Druid for example, the only man in the village who can create drugs being called Getafix was genius, and the terrible musician who always ended up being tied up to shut him up being called Cacofonix. Just genius stuff. But I never really understood them until I was a bit older.

Soldato
I need to read those books. The first time I experienced Asterix was in french. Though I didn't understand the language I could still enjoy the cartoon.

RIP

Man of Honour
*doffs hat*

Such a big influence for many peoples reading habits when younger.

Hell, I'd still happily read some of the books.

R.I.P. Sir

Man of Honour
RIP

As a kid when we were off on our summer holidays I'd often get one of the books to while away the time if we got stuck in traffic or other delays, etc. (or just to amuse me while parents were sorting accommodation or whatever). Always something I looked forward to at that age.

Associate
He created many iconic characters that delighted generations of children for decades.

A hall mark of a good character is how recognisable by sillouette alone, think Batman, Bart Simson, Mickey Mouse. Asterix and Obelix both fit that bill. Truly brilliant character design.

Every character he drew had huge personality, from Caesar to the sexy ladies to Obelix's dog. He had a truly great style. Rest in peace.

Associate
Really loved the Asterix albums and still do. Remember in college I did get a bonus point in our exam about the Romans as I mentioned to my teacher that without the Romans and their wide spread invasions around Europe we most likely never would seen the lovely characters in the Asterix albums.

Permabanned
RIP

I use to bunk school on occasion and if raining would go to the library in to kid section (I was 12-16 :o, if staff asked I had a Free Period) as there was little recess part where you could sit in peace and quiet out of sight.

I read the Asterix books there.

Man of Honour
What I found really clever about the writing and illustrations was the way it developed with the readers age.

as a kid, you enjoyed the drawings and the action and the writing was a simple explanation, but as the reader got older, more of the subtle and quite often, dark humour unlocked itself, as well as some of the more, ahem, controversial aspects and caricatures, such as the black pirate having enormous lips.

In particular the names. The Druid for example, the only man in the village who can create drugs being called Getafix was genius, and the terrible musician who always ended up being tied up to shut him up being called Cacofonix. Just genius stuff. But I never really understood them until I was a bit older.

There was extensive re-writing by the translator, Anthea Bell. In particular she changed all the names, and made new puns to replace French one which would not work. General opinion was that she was at least as important as Goscinny when it came to the text.

Back
Top Bottom