Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I mess up a bank transfer for missed my entry into Bp :(

Sold BP this morning perhaps a little prematurely. A nice gain over the past two days.

Waiting for a little more of an increase before ditching Apple.

Sold my NVDA for 20% profit, less than half of what it would have been pre-crisis but hey, better than nothing. Also added some more cash to my trading account so now I'm just going to sit tight and wait for the next slump...

Still holding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Things seems to be going well. I invested 10k into a local stock that shot up nearly 40% the past two days. Tempted to take profit but have a feeling there's some positives ahead and think this one may well double. Not an earth shattering amount but nice nonetheless.

Soldato
Soldato
Couldn't resist a small bet on Zoom stocks. Not cheap, but the platform is gathering pace. I'm seeing a lot of people discussing it, our government using it, corporates signing up using it for homeworking, so I think it's a safe bet.

Soldato
Amazing - market bounces for 2 days and everyone is making money....:rolleyes:

This thread is amazing....everyone seems to get out at a perfect time, and back in at a perfect time. Does anyone ever loose money in this thread??

Soldato

This thread is amazing....everyone seems to get out at a perfect time, and back in at a perfect time. Does anyone ever loose money in this thread??

Of course they do, but like most gamblers they like to talk about their wins.

If it helps redress the balance, my story is one of my funds has tanked -24% :) I'm still holding it though.

Associate

I did the other week, I got burned big time on that one. lesson learned most of the time do limit orders

Soldato

Nobody ever, EVER lose money unless you sell or the company tanks. Paper losses aplenty in here right now though

Soldato

Anyone that is holding long term is going to be sitting on fairly large % of paper losses right now.

But on short term trades ...sell those off when profit target reached!

Soldato

It is funny, isn’t it? Selective reporting. Those that do well tend to shout about it, and those that don’t often stay quiet.

Soldato
Of course they do, but like most gamblers they like to talk about their wins.

If it helps redress the balance, my story is one of my funds has tanked -24% :) I'm still holding it though.

A few of my funds were/are down similar amounts.

A couple have recovered to small profits and I'm thinking about selling a small proportion to free up cash within last years ISA allowance, for any opportunities that might come before 5th/6th April.

Caporegime

People bought for lower prices than the stocks are now worth... it's not complicated, right? There was a big drop and then a sudden surge and if you keep your eye on the ball then you can take advantage of that. Yes, even you, if you stop sitting there moaning about what other people are doing and instead focus on what you are doing. :)

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Nobody ever, EVER lose money unless you sell or the company tanks. Paper losses aplenty in here right now though
Or gets bought out for less than you purchased your shares for which is a real possibility for some that invested near the top...

sluggish start to the day. It won’t take much to see profit takers piling out and big reversals IMO. Fascinating times.

Soldato

Nah just a few. Most lost money hard, or some are still holding for the long game. Sure you can make a quick buck here or there but like most things in the short markets your just fighting for scraps after the AI have scooped up anything of real value.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah just a few. Most lost money hard, or some are still holding for the long game. Sure you can make a quick buck here or there but like most things in the short markets your just fighting for scraps after the AI have scooped up anything of real value.

I've made money on short term trades - but my long term ETF holds aren't looking too pretty. But again, those I just top up now and then and leave them be!

Soldato
People bought for lower prices than the stocks are now worth... it's not complicated, right? There was a big drop and then a sudden surge and if you keep your eye on the ball then you can take advantage of that. Yes, even you, if you stop sitting there moaning about what other people are doing and instead focus on what you are doing. :)

I was being factious. I ain't moaning about it, just find it funny that people claim huge wins in 2 days, yet never report the fact everything else they own has tanked.

I'm well aware of what's going on, however as others have said, people on here only seem to report their winners, never their losers, that's what I was getting at.

My focus is equally on two things - my own funds, along with a substantial amount of funds that my clients have invested via myself.

Associate
I've been really lucky and had been looking to set up a SIPP at the start of March so after seeing the markets crash I've been using fundamental and technical analysis to pick up some trades that made a small profit.

My strategy works really well for me right now because these are stocks I'm interested in holding long term, so if the bumps and dips don't work out as I expect, I'm holding shares I want to have in the next 10-20years. There is the risk that I sell early and miss out on future profits but that's part of risk with my strategy.

I don't think we've seen the bottom yet so playing the day trades where I can see them. Yesterday and today are flat for me...luckily my platform doesn't let me short and I see no buying opportunities right now.
Daily charts show a hanging man candlestick pattern for FTSE100 and a Doji on the S&P500 indicating (to me) a halt of the bull train.

Soldato
I was being factious. I ain't moaning about it, just find it funny that people claim huge wins in 2 days, yet never report the fact everything else they own has tanked.

I'm well aware of what's going on, however as others have said, people on here only seem to report their winners, never their losers, that's what I was getting at.

My focus is equally on two things - my own funds, along with a substantial amount of funds that my clients have invested via myself.

You just need to change "people on here" to "people on the internet"... or indeed "people in life". People will always want to brag about successes, but try and hide failures, for obvious reasons. Still, it's not helpful or useful to anyone, but anyone experienced in whatever it is (be it stocks or any other business) will see through the bull.

Personally all my stocks are long term, always have been, so I've not touched a single thing. What with it being the end of the tax year I've already invested all I can in my ISA so realistically no opportunities missed either, if there's realistically been any. My current portfolio is down 10%, I couldn't tell you exactly what it was immediately pre-CV19 but it was around 17%, so 27% down.

I'm only -1.18% on the S&P atm which shows how much up I was pre-cash!

Back
Top Bottom