Panzer General & Allied General (MS-DOS, Win95, Playstation 1) - WW2 turn based strategy game.

Soldato
Hi all,

I loved this WW2 turn based strategy game when i had both Panzer General and the sequel Allied General on the Playstation way back in '96-ish and during the current lockdown I've been searching for old games that I remembered and found that it was renamed PGForever - http://www.pgforever.info/ - after it got dropped by SSI for their newer post-WW2 to 2000 era Steel Panthers series, which I also have and really enjoy also.

a9eBCj6.jpg djvHuvl.jpg

I've just spent the last 3 days of my 'lockdown' playing this and still absolutely love it! It's amazing how your memory works because despite no playing this for 20+ years I can still remember exactly how to play this, all the little tactics to win etc like it was only played yesterday!

BUe5juC.jpg

fdhDHE6.jpg

4eGb4bW.jpg

Soldato
Panzer General is totally infectious, played through the game many times. Of all things I first found it on the 3DO on a random pick up, the new game on the shelf that week. Gamepad aside a great version with clean memory saves and cd audio briefings.

I have Kutno and Lodz etched on the brain, fantastic game. The spiritual successor Panzer Corps matches up to the original.

Tac Bombers FTW!

Soldato
OP
I got recommended the modern "remake" on Steam for £30 called Panzer Corps Gold - exactly the same game with a lot more campaigns/scenarios but it came with a 3D graphical update done around 2011 and its got very good reviews. I bought it and only played D-Day so far and that mission plays just as well as PG version plus the added 3D units/terrain and 3D based attack effects are a bonus. The latest version, PC2, has just been released on Steam too and is getting good/OK reviews so may give that a go.

Soldato
OP
Well got PC2 a week ago, not a fan TBH. The core gameplay remains the same and is fine with a few welcome additions but its the new graphical update which just is so unlikeable for me. It's like they've decided that adding 3D "Command and Conquer" fully animated units to a turn based game is a great idea but it doesn't work for me. So things like the infantry now actually run from hex to hex (three 200m tall soldiers running across a 1km hex looks daft) and dead infantry theatrically die and tanks blow-up with turret flying off etc and there's no option for switching the animations off that I've found.

PG and PCG are still great to play however!

In fact I feel like PCG has the sweet-spot between a 2D vs 3D visual environment and I just wish PC2 had retained that look whilst updating the gameplay "engine" as the new gameplay additions to PC2 are really good and make logical sense.

Back
Top Bottom