Contactless payments going up to £45

Man of Honour
If it is going up, that's a good thing. Most places have already removed the restriction when using things like Apple Pay and whatever the android equivalent is but some shops still enforce that £30 limit. It'll be nice to go to Tesco and not have to remember to keep it below £30 if I've left my wallet at home.

This is a non-issue and has been for a while. Tesco's Pay+ app is great and the limit is removed (or is £250 I can't recall exactly but it's either of the two anyway). The good thing about it is that you simply click finish on self service and touch nothing else other than scan the QR code. Your clubcard is then updated and payment is taken from whatever card you've added to the app. This is not too different to having to physically can your club card or load up a digital version to scan anyway so you're not really adding any extra steps by having to use Pay+ whilst at Tesco.

Same goes for paying at a manned checkout, just get them to scan the QR code and the system does the rest.

dry

dry

Associate
The £30 limit is because bank/card issuer coverage in event of loss/theft of card (after the customer has reported it) is £150, i.e. 5x £30 transactions within x time period. Feel free to try 6 contactless transactions in quick succession and you'll see you're prompted for pin on 6th attempt.

No limit on Google Pay/Apple Pay because of the 2nd factor of authentication (fingerprint/face/passcode)

If you use the phone awake but locked, £30 limit still applies

Interesting to see a 50% increase in the bank/card issuer liability pushed through so quickly

Soldato
Hate using cash. So this is great. Although.. I paid for something the other day with Apple Pay which I’m pretty sure was over £50?

edit. Never mind. I just read that Apple Pay has no limit.

Caporegime
Hate using cash. So this is great. Although.. I paid for something the other day with Apple Pay which I’m pretty sure was over £50?

edit. Never mind. I just read that Apple Pay has no limit.
That’s dependant on the retailer though. As I said a few yrs back I filled my car up with petrol and tried to pay via Apple Pay but they said it was £30. So had to pay via my debit card. Not sure if it’s still the same or maybe they took that limit away.

Soldato
Happy day for card thieves too.
See @dry 's post below. Who cares. If it's a credit card then it's not your money at risk. The banks make so much money they are taking on the risk with "no" security on transactions up to £45 now. It shouldn't worry you in the slightest.
The £30 limit is because bank/card issuer coverage in event of loss/theft of card (after the customer has reported it) is £150, i.e. 5x £30 transactions within x time period. Feel free to try 6 contactless transactions in quick succession and you'll see you're prompted for pin on 6th attempt.
I believe there's a number of transactions limit as well as a monetary limit. A card thief wouldn't be able to do much damage in the grand scheme of things. And again, who cares because if it's a credit card - it's the bank's money not yours.

It reminds me of those rumours going round of Russians having mobile payment machines and tapping people's pockets on crowded tubes. Somebody may have tried it but they wouldn't get very far. As soon as people saw the fraudulent transactions on their card they would flag it, it would only take 2-3 people to flag the same transactions/machine and it'd be shut down probably within a day or two.

That’s dependant on the retailer though. As I said a few yrs back I filled my car up with petrol and tried to pay via Apple Pay but they said it was £30. So had to pay via my debit card. Not sure if it’s still the same or maybe they took that limit away.
They probably just thought Apple Pay was the same as contactless and therefore £30. Did you actually try it?

Soldato
See @dry 's post below. Who cares. If it's a credit card then it's not your money at risk. The banks make so much money they are taking on the risk with "no" security on transactions up to £45 now. It shouldn't worry you in the slightest.

Debit cards are also contactless. That IS your money.

Back
Top Bottom