Disney +

Soldato
Yep I'm using a shield and HDR defiantly works

did some testing last night having both a shield and SkyQ connected to the same 4k HDR TV

Tested it with star wars

SkyQ App = 1080p and no HDR
Nvidia Shield = 4K + HDR according to my tv's overlay

Thanks.

When you look at the preview screen (Star Wars - before you play the movie), it just says HD & 5.1. On my Sammy it says 4k HDR & 5.1.

I'm going to see if I have wrong settings somewhere. Im using the 2015 Shield if that makes a difference. Im sure other 4k HDR films play fine.

Cheers !!

Soldato
I've been feeling that the sound in general is a little off. I might be paranoid but I swear the actual voices are aren't on the same level as the music. I've been having to higher my TV to levels I never do be cause of it.

It's in dolby digital, so will separate the voices and just play them through the centre speaker. If your used to standard 2 channel sound that's getting played through all speakers then it will sound much quieter.

Can you change the settings on the tv and turn dolby dolby off if you don't like it.

Soldato
I've been feeling that the sound in general is a little off. I might be paranoid but I swear the actual voices are aren't on the same level as the music. I've been having to higher my TV to levels I never do be cause of it.

Also anyone watched Micky Mouse Steamboat Willie? I never realised Disney made Mickey into a complete **** towards animals!

Not watched that, but interested to watch it and see what you're talking about.

It's in dolby digital, so will separate the voices and just play them through the centre speaker. If your used to standard 2 channel sound that's getting played through all speakers then it will sound much quieter.

Can you change the settings on the tv and turn dolby dolby off if you don't like it.

Yeah this is true, but The Mandalorian is just on another level for quietness, its extremely low sounding and audio quality is poor overall.

All content for me is showing 5.1 and some stuff is better, Toy Story 4 was pretty loud and clear without having to turn up the volume. Do you know what audio I should get with Atmos content for people that don't have Atmos equipment, would it convert it to something like DD+ ?

Soldato
All content for me is showing 5.1 and some stuff is better, Toy Story 4 was pretty loud and clear without having to turn up the volume. Do you know what audio I should get with Atmos content for people that don't have Atmos equipment, would it convert it to something like DD+ ?

Atmos isn't available right now because of the bandwidth restrictions but when it is on there I believe it comes through a dobly digital plus signal.

Right now it's standard dolby digital 5.1 (if your device is can do it) or stereo.

Im not 100% sure on this.

Soldato
Atmos isn't available right now because of the bandwidth restrictions but when it is on there I believe it comes through a dobly digital plus signal.

Right now it's standard dolby digital 5.1 (if your device is can do it) or stereo.

Im not 100% sure on this.

I have a Yamaha YSP2700 soundbar which can do most audio apart from Atmos, all content on D+ are saying 5.1, so as you say likely a low quality DD 5.1, so hopefully when they max out the bandwidth again I should get something higher quality like DD+.

Unfortunately unless my ears can tell I never really know what I'm getting, as my soundbar just labels everything as PCM from the Apple TV.

Caporegime
Yeah Atmos will not show at the moment for any Disney+ content, I've tried loads of stuff with it labelled. It appears some of the 5.1 stuff is quite low bitrate too.

Netflix and AppleTV content makes Dolby Atmos pop up on my soundbar so I know it's still working my end.

Soldato
I have a Yamaha YSP2700 soundbar which can do most audio apart from Atmos, all content on D+ are saying 5.1, so as you say likely a low quality DD 5.1, so hopefully when they max out the bandwidth again I should get something higher quality like DD+.

Unfortunately unless my ears can tell I never really know what I'm getting, as my soundbar just labels everything as PCM from the Apple TV.

The first day I watched guardians galaxy 1 the sound was really great but then seems lower quality the next day when I watched guardians 2.

must be these restrictions on bandwidth.

Soldato
Yeah Atmos will not show at the moment for any Disney+ content, I've tried loads of stuff with it labelled. It appears some of the 5.1 stuff is quite low bitrate too.

Netflix and AppleTV content makes Dolby Atmos pop up on my soundbar so I know it's still working my end.

Is that from the Apple TV box?, mine just labels audio as PCM, but perhaps if I had atmos it would be different.

Soldato
I'm getting Dolby Atmos via ATV4K when using ExpressVPN's mediastreamer.

My soundbar Sony HT-ST5000 shows Dolby Atmos - LPCM 48khz. Shows Dolby Digital Plus without using it.

Soldato
One thing that is a little annoying about Disney and something I've even noticed on Netflix, the content on a kids profile seems to filter out movies it shouldn't. On Disney you can't find Finding Dory or Cars 3 on kids profile.

I wasn't able to find a way to change sound in the Disney app but there is an option through Roku's settings to level the sound which seems to have helped.

Soldato
Just signed up to Disney+ and set PayPal s my payment method. I selected the yearly option... Has anyone else done this and found they charge £1 to your PayPal account? Why do they charge the £1? I've looked on their FAQ's and don't remember them saying this would be done.... Is it a charge for using PayPal?

Soldato
I'm working my way through this list each night. Worth noting not every movie is on Disney Plus yet as I found out tonight. The Incredible Hulk isn't on Disney yet but can be watched on NowTV.

I didn't realise that not all were there, I have been watching 1 movie each evening after dinner.

I'm still really impressed with the selection and quality. It's going to take me so long to get through them all and they are all like 2 hour or more, which is great.

My favorites so far are guardians of the galaxy 1 and thor ravnorok. Both were great.

Soldato
Universal probably still own the rights?

Appears to be the case. I found this a little further down the webpage.

There's a good reason you won't see The Incredible Hulk and the two Spider-Man movies starring Tom Holland here: Universal owns the distribution rights to the former, while Sony made the latter two as part of a deal with Disney. For now, you'll have to buy them on home video if you want a full Marvel movie marathon.

So while I've managed to watch The Incredible Hulk tonight via NowTV, the Spiderman films aren't currently being streamed anywhere, I know Homecoming was once on NowTV, but that seems to have expired. The good part is I'm about 11 movies away from the first Spiderman movie, so plenty of time to prepare but it does mean I'm going to have to buy it.

@imginy which order are you watching them in? If any? I'm opting for the year the movies take place. So far I love the Iron Man movies (2 more than 1) but he's probably my favourite character and I quite enjoyed Captain Marvel.

Tomorrow night I'll be moving onto Thor.

Back
Top Bottom