Best monitor for working from home.

Soldato
Mum has started working from home and asked me to pick her out a monitor.

I don't know much about whats best for office work so can someone recommend me one. she does emails and stuff.

Her laptop is a little thinkpad with i5 8250. There is an hdmi port and vga using the usbc adapter that came with it.

I was thinking something like a IPS ultrawide 1440p 31.5" but am open to suggestions.

Soldato
Check how far she'll be sitting back from it, 32" is pretty big if you don't want to be turning your head all the time with a shallow desk. As for the panel type IPS everyday of the week. :)

Man of Honour
Unless restricted by budget by far amongst the best monitors for general work use are the likes of the Dell 27" IPS monitors.

Soldato
OP
Check how far she'll be sitting back from it, 32" is pretty big if you don't want to be turning your head all the time with a shallow desk. As for the panel type IPS everyday of the week. :)

Thanks.

She is using the 6*4 foot dinning table as her new desk. so plenty of room.

Something ~24", IPS, 1080p and with a height adjustable stand.

Ok thanks didn't know I needed height adjustable.

I think 24" would be a bit small for her. she has used the 32" tv tv before and liked it.

Unless restricted by budget by far amongst the best monitors for general work use are the likes of the Dell 27" IPS monitors.

Thanks,

Does it matter much between 1440p and 1080p?

she has been given £250 so the dell 27" 1080p ips is within budget.

Man of Honour
Does it matter much between 1440p and 1080p?

she has been given £250 so the dell 27" 1080p ips is within budget.

1080p at 27" might make the pixels more obvious though to the more casual user that might not be an issue and might even be easier on their eye sight. 1440p is nicer though to have IMO - 1080p is good enough but the extra screen estate from 1440p doesn't go amiss either.

EDIT: Though no guarantees the other side of that also is that Dell seems to be one of the few manufacturers still that care much about quality control so a lesser chance of it turning up with dead pixels or horrendous backlight bleed, etc.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your help guys.

You all been great.

Got a 27.5 ips 1080p asus eyecare ordered for 170.

The dells I was looking at went out of stock.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mum has started working from home and asked me to pick her out a monitor.

I don't know much about whats best for office work so can someone recommend me one. she does emails and stuff.

Her laptop is a little thinkpad with i5 8250. There is an hdmi port and vga using the usbc adapter that came with it.

I was thinking something like a IPS ultrawide 1440p 31.5" but am open to suggestions.

not sure if serious.

just buy the cheapest monitor you can find that is 21-27" and be done with it. less than £100 if possible.

buying an IPS ultrawide 1440p 32" to read emails is crazy

Soldato
I had a 22" squared away under the desk in my build room at work but I ended up being at home off sick when the instruction to work at home happened so couldnt take it home.
Went looking for the cheapest I could find and went for an AOC G2260VWQ6 22" TN 75mhz off OCUK for £84.95 to use as a second monitor. It does the job.
However forgot how awful TN screens are compared to IPS - been playing with the settings but its so washed out and the colours are off compared to my Laptop IPS screen.

not sure if serious...

..buying an IPS ultrawide 1440p 32" to read emails is crazy

OP not daft you know who will end up with that (now 27" IPS monitor) when the virus situation is over !! :)

Soldato
OP
not sure if serious.

just buy the cheapest monitor you can find that is 21-27" and be done with it. less than £100 if possible.

buying an IPS ultrawide 1440p 32" to read emails is crazy

Yeah I ordered an 27.5 asus 1080p ips one.

The guys here helped me pick out what was best for her.

I didn't know much about monitors. It's a bit more than reading emails, she is social worker and working on it all day. the little screen on her laptop is uncomfortable.

Caporegime
Yeah I ordered an 27.5 asus 1080p ips one.

The guys here helped me pick out what was best for her.

I didn't know much about monitors. It's a bit more than reading emails, she is social worker and working on it all day. the little screen on her laptop is uncomfortable.

I understand I have a 14" on my surface pro iirc.

I have a 21" for home use.

My 32 inch is reserved for gaming only

Back
Top Bottom