Build Help in advance

Soldato
I have full system bits arriving from OcUK tomorrow but I haven't built a PC for years.

I'm pretty sure I'll be OK with the build itself ie putting the MB in etc but not sure after that.

It's a 3950X build on a Asus MB, thiss but with the WiFi board:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8-pa...ro-corsair-64gb-3600mhz-bundle-bu-01v-am.html

any tips to get started..

I have a USB stick with Windows 10 on, do I have to go into the BIOS first and if so what do I choose?

Is there any settings in the BIOS I should be looking out for or is it pretty much plug and play (or prey in my case).

Any help in advance appreciated so I don't pull my hair out when I get around to the build.

Soldato
Watch a few build videos for basic tips. Build it outside of the case to start. BIOS update first! Have you got a good cooler? The stock CPU cooler might get a bit loud. Have fun with that beast!

Soldato
OP
Watch a few build videos for basic tips. Build it outside of the case to start. BIOS update first! Have you got a good cooler? The stock CPU cooler might get a bit loud. Have fun with that beast!

I'll put the CPU, RAM and and SSD's in first and then put in the case I think. I've got a Corsair H1100i RGB cooler, I was going to go air but I just don't like the look of them lol

Talking of RAM which slots do you put them in, 2 sticks? I guess it will say in the manual, last one I did was first slot, miss and slot.

I hope to have fun with it but not confident the build will go well, I wanted a pre-made but that could take forever at the moment.

Soldato
Should not need to mess around in bios
Just to get it running
First thing I always do as soon as its built
Sit in bios and watch cpu temperature
Until it stops rising to be sure no heatsink issues
Then if OK install windows

Soldato
Indeed haven't heard about 32GB consumer/desktop DIMMs, so it's likely 4x16GB kit.
Enabling XMP should work, though four ranks per channel starts to be demanding.

If you're going to use it for gaming with high end graphics card, you'll want to make sure case airflow is good.
Board's chipset cooler is just awfully positioned directly under graphics card for bathing in its heat and doesn't need any extra help in heating it up.

Soldato
OP
Indeed haven't heard about 32GB consumer/desktop DIMMs, so it's likely 4x16GB kit.

If you're going to use it for gaming with high end graphics card, you'll want to make sure case airflow is good.
Board's chipset cooler is just awfully positioned directly under graphics card for bathing in its heat and doesn't need any extra help in heating it up.

I've got a Corsair 500D, 3 fans in the front (in), 1 at that back (out) and I was planning on putting the H100i rad with 2 fans on the top (no idea which way those fans go but assume out?)

Does that sound sufficient?

Soldato

Guessing it's this stuff.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £338.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Soldato
I've got a Corsair 500D, 3 fans in the front (in), 1 at that back (out) and I was planning on putting the H100i rad with 2 fans on the top (no idea which way those fans go but assume out?)

Does that sound sufficient?
Radiator on top would directly exhaust CPU's heat, so that's better for chipset over front frad.
Also it makes sure that when coolant over time decreases air can't rise to block/pump.

Guessing it's this stuff.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £338.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)
That could be Samsung A-die which goes to 16Gbit (2GB) capacity per chip allowing single rank 16GB.
https://wccftech.com/samsung-a-die-memory-sighted-ddr4-is-about-to-get-a-lot-cheaper/
Though latencies certainly aren't great, if that's supposed to be special binned chips.

Soldato
OP
Radiator on top would directly exhaust CPU's heat, so that's better for chipset over front frad.
Also it makes sure that when coolant over time decreases air can't rise to block/pump.

That could be Samsung A-die which goes to 16Gbit (2GB) capacity per chip allowing single rank 16GB.
https://wccftech.com/samsung-a-die-memory-sighted-ddr4-is-about-to-get-a-lot-cheaper/
Though latencies certainly aren't great, if that's supposed to be special binned chips.

The stuff has arrived and already confused reading the manual for the H100i RGB.

It says for best results they recommend mounting fans as an air-intake (with radiator on top of the case).

On that basis I would have 3 fan intakes on the front and 2 with the Rad on the top and 1 fan as an exhaust (out) on the back of the case, will that be ok?

The memory is the 3600 stuff:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...zen-tuned-ddr4-memory-dual-kit-my-4ck-cs.html

Soldato
On that basis I would have 3 fan intakes on the front and 2 with the Rad on the top and 1 fan as an exhaust (out) on the back of the case, will that be ok?

You probably don't want a fan on the back at all. You want to maintain air pressure so there's a good throughput. Having an output fan at the back will lower the pressure of the air going in to the fans at the top. A fan blowing in will pull warm air blown out by the PSU, the GPU (if it has a blower fan), or both.

Soldato
OP
You probably don't want a fan on the back at all. You want to maintain air pressure so there's a good throughput. Having an output fan at the back will lower the pressure of the air going in to the fans at the top. A fan blowing in will pull warm air blown out by the PSU, the GPU (if it has a blower fan), or both.

so basically leave with fans blowing air in at the front and back and just leave like that?

Every picture I’ve seen has a fan at the back on this case with similar setup?

Soldato
OP
You have a psu intake at bottom?
If so then use it to intake cooler air through the psu would be my choice

There's a vent at bottom of the case with a filter so guess that's what you mean, was my intention to put fan at the bottom but that a picture in the case manual showed it with fan up.

Back
Top Bottom