• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC failed to boot after power outage (dead 1070)

Soldato
My PC was running fine yesterday morning when we had a power cut. I switched the power off at the wall and went to work. When I got back the PC failed to boot. No lights, completely dead.

I removed the GTX 1070FE to take the cmos battery out. After 5 mins I refitted the battery and tried the PC, which now appeared to work fine. I then refitted the GPU and the PC again refused to start.

It looks like the card is dead, although there's nothing obvious that's gone pop on the GPU PCB.
Are there basic fault finding operations that can be carried out to maybe locate the fault using a multimeter. I've got the soldering skills to replace components if necessary.

Thanks
d

Soldato
Most basic thing would be test the gpu
In another pc
A friends if you don't have a second pc
Though in the current situation going to a friends might be difficult I guess
Though if you were out exercising and left it on their door step etc :)

Soldato
OP
Most basic thing would be test the gpu
In another pc
A friends if you don't have a second pc
Though in the current situation going to a friends might be difficult I guess
Though if you were out exercising and left it on their door step etc :)

The 1070 fails to function in my backup PC, and the backup 780Ti works in my main rig, so it looks like I'll be prodding at the 1070 with the sticks. :(:(

Soldato
Gutted that something so expensive can be so disposable.
That's the problem with society today
Replace rather than repair
Sadly it's probably a very cheap repair if you have the knowledge to diagnose the fault
Had it years ago a capacitor failed but luckily found a local guy who fixed it for a few beers
But most places now just don't do pcb level repairs or if they do they want more than the items worth

Associate
Louis Rossman's YouTube electronic repair vids look very good, but he doesn't specifically repair a GPU in any of them from what I've seen. I want to get into it at some point, but then I'm not generating enough faulty electronics on a daily basis to get good practice at it.

Soldato
OP
And another thing........ I like the way the way the machine waits until after OCUK's 20th anniversary and a now a price rise due to shortages before it decides to go phuutt!!:mad::mad::mad:

Removed the 780Ti from my backup machine and fitted that. Wow! 83 degrees when running VR has turned it into a hotair gun.:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom