• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Try reading the article the hacker isn't asking for $100 million, that was her estimated worth of the files taken.

As for who would benefit, well right now Intel seem to need it the most. :p:D:p

I read the article on engadget - https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-25-hacker-steals-source-code-for-xbox-series-x-graphics.html

It does seem incredibly fortuitous that a random hack (of AMD of all people) landed them with AMD's crown jewels... It's almost as if they knew exactly where to look. :p

G J

G J

Associate
Oh dear all the CPU/security mitigations that AMD have doesn't help much huh :mad:

Well unless it was an on a Intel based server. :D

Caporegime
I'm keeping a close eye on 2020 developments in the gpu market.

Nvidia vs. AMD could become a worthy battle again.

2080Ti performance for £400 is my purchase point however, so I'll wait as long as that takes.

Associate
I think console vs GPU is more interesting this time around then its ever been. Even if AMD come up with the goods they could simply simply stack their products price points up along side Nvidia which is pretty much what they did with the 5700 series. Where as a £500 console (for the sake of argument) vs a PC with similar graphics horsepower on like for like games is a more difficult question to justify yes the later will be more but how much more becomes an important topic particularly with XboX and PC synergy getting closer each time

Soldato
I think console vs GPU is more interesting this time around then its ever been. Even if AMD come up with the goods they could simply simply stack their products price points up along side Nvidia which is pretty much what they did with the 5700 series. Where as a £500 console (for the sake of argument) vs a PC with similar graphics horsepower on like for like games is a more difficult question to justify yes the later will be more but how much more becomes an important topic particularly with XboX and PC synergy getting closer each time

Last time there was anything close tech polarity was back when the 360 was release did take long to jump way ahead. Even if the Xenon first example of a unified architecture (yep before the 8800gtx/G80)

GAC

GAC

Soldato
With the dark horse being intel

lame pony more like. this isnt the first time intels dipped its toe in to the graphics card pond last time they started with a promising card then after 2 years of coming soon. they just stopped updates. so dont get too excited just yet.

Soldato
With the dark horse being intel

A lame donkey you mean. The Intel GPU supposed to be released last year. And earlier this year we saw something that could barely beat an APU.
Also we do know Intel doesn't intent to make a "gaming" GPU but compute cards to combat AMD and NVIDIA who are eating the market.

On top, knowing Intel mafia practices we shouldn't want this company in the GPU market.

Caporegime
wccftech warning:

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-4000-zen-3-cpu-and-radeon-rx-navi-2x-gpu-launch-october-2020/

So the RDNA2 cards (high-end family) are going to sit on top of an RDNA1 refresh family (mid-range).

Anyone seriously expecting 2080Ti perf for £400 needs to pinch themselves.

The RDNA1 refresh cards will probably continue to fill the <£400 price bracket, with the RDNA2 (high-end) family being priced waaaay above that.

2080Ti perf for £400? LOLs. I know only a handful here were seriously expecting that.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
2080Ti perf for £400? LOLs. I know only a handful here were seriously expecting that.

iv said, id like that. and would hope the nvidia card with that performance 3070 hopefull will be around 400-450, but if amd is doing a refresh and not lowering prices again i guess il be waiting for a 4000/rdna3 card.

Caporegime
iv said, id like that. and would hope the nvidia card with that performance 3070 hopefull will be around 400-450, but if amd is doing a refresh and not lowering prices again i guess il be waiting for a 4000/rdna3 card.
You imagine it'll be a "refresh" like the 290->390 was, along with RDNA2 cards on top (like Fury was).

AMD just don't seem to be able to get out a full top-to-bottom line-up any time in the last 7+ years.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
You imagine it'll be a "refresh" like the 290->390 was, along with RDNA2 cards on top (like Fury was).

AMD just don't seem to be able to get out a full top-to-bottom line-up any time in the last 7+ years.

as for the refresh i was under the impression it would be 5500-5700xt but in rdna 2 process node, but yeah probably expecting power savings and very little actual performance headroom, as we have seen they like sticking in caps to max clocks so they dont butcher higher card sales.

i was saying 2 more years for them to be back being competitive, guess i was right.

Soldato

Why on earth would you want a refreshed RDNA card as it's missing support for the key improvements coming with DX12U?

Caporegime
Why on earth would you want a refreshed RDNA card as it's missing support for the key improvements coming with DX12U?
It's not like AMD haven't done it before...

Lisa Su said:
Q: Lisa, can you give us some idea of what new GPUs you’re expected to launch to the rest of 2020, for PCs and for data center?

LS: Yes. In 2019, we launched our new architecture in GPUs, it’s the RDNA architecture, and that was the Navi based products. You should expect that those will be refreshed in 2020 – and we’ll have a next generation RDNA architecture that will be part of our 2020 lineup.

Note how she says RDNA2/"next generation RDNA" cards would be "part of" the 2020 line-up.

Together with talk of "refreshed" RDNA cards in the line-up, I think the meaning is pretty clear.

RDNA2 is only part of it, re-branded RDNA1 is probably keeping the <£400 price points serviced.

Soldato
wccftech warning:

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-4000-zen-3-cpu-and-radeon-rx-navi-2x-gpu-launch-october-2020/

So the RDNA2 cards (high-end family) are going to sit on top of an RDNA1 refresh family (mid-range).

Anyone seriously expecting 2080Ti perf for £400 needs to pinch themselves.

The RDNA1 refresh cards will probably continue to fill the <£400 price bracket, with the RDNA2 (high-end) family being priced waaaay above that.

You need to look at it in context. What's below the TU102 chip (2080 ti's)? It's the TU104. And that starts at £450ish today, and was seen discounted further (2070 S) before COVID-19.

Now let's look at consoles. No one in their right mind thinks they're gonna be more than £500. That's TU104 performance (all the way to the 2080S) and the WHOLE system for the price of what's today the bottom of the rung card with that chip.

So if you're Nvidia (because AMD's just gonna follow suit) you can't just look at it like you can charge whatever you want UNLESS you hate money and want to lose your investors' confidence. Half their business is gaming! They can't be oblivious to the wider ecosystem.

THAT's why £400-£500 2080 ti performance is a real possibility. Otherwise, what, they're gonna launch a new gen with same prices but GPUs just +10% perf on their equivalents now? And they're gonna keep that for 2+ years while consoles eat their lunch and move even more gamers away from PC & therefore guarantee themselves even fewer sales in the future? Plus, there's only a 20-30% performance difference between 2070S & 2080 ti anyway. Not exactly a lot of wiggle room!

It's just dumb. There's no way they keep 2080 ti performance >£500. Nvidia is greedy, not stupid.

Soldato
It's just dumb. There's no way they keep 2080 ti performance >£500. Nvidia is greedy, not stupid.
Yep, even Hardware Unboxed think the same in their new Q&A, in that case the GPUs in the new consoles would be closer to being level with a 3060, as if the 3070 is near 2080Ti level and only off by a small percentage as rumours suggest, that would make it quicker than the consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom