*** Nintendo Switch ***

Man of Honour
I didn't like Owlboy despite is being very pretty, but a lot of people seem to like it so I left it on the list for people to consider.

I haven't started The Messenger yet as I haven't touched single player Switch games since getting Game Pass.

I was very relieved when Cave Story+ was finished, it really dragged on at the end, I played it recently on the Switch so maybe it was better played 15 years ago.

Out of my list I highly recommend Steamworld, Guacamelee, Axiom Verge, and Yoku's Island Express.
Ah that’s interesting, maybe I'll stay clear of Cave Story. I do remember that the ending / game changed substantially if you make one very specific jump and get a ‘worse gun’.... and then there is a hidden ‘hell’ section at the end which was absolutely insane which I never completed :p

Man of Honour
Ah that’s interesting, maybe I'll stay clear of Cave Story. I do remember that the ending / game changed substantially if you make one very specific jump and get a ‘worse gun’.... and then there is a hidden ‘hell’ section at the end which was absolutely insane which I never completed :p

I love challenging games like Celeste (100% completed including the DLC), but that bonus level just wasn't fun at all.

Soldato
Mark of the Ninja is quality if you've never played it. It's a stealth game basically. You don't have to stealth it but it rewards you if you do.

Looks like almost all the the Square Enix games are 50% off right now on the eShop.

Man of Honour
I love challenging games like Celeste (100% completed including the DLC), but that bonus level just wasn't fun at all.
Agreed.

Oh I forgot to mention, the messenger has some sections later on which required some skill in timing your attacks and jumps, as you gain a jump where you hit something mid air... at the time I did genuinely think “ah man I bet @Kreeeee would like this!” :D

The charm of the messenger is half nostalgia driven and half humour. The shopkeeper stories and dialogue are really, really good... catches you off guard too when it just slams some ultra provocative ‘identity crisis’ fables amongst the gags.

The downsides of the messenger is that:

- the second section of the game can be a little obtuse as to where you need to go so I got a bit frustrated at times.

- the secret you unlock from getting all the green tokens (I.e. strawberries) comes too late to be useful.

- not much enemy variety.

- it has its own charm but it’s obviously no way as striking as something like hollow knight.

- does require a love of the 16 bit era.

It you can get over that, then it is really quite fun. Let me know when you’ve checked it out, as and when you get round to it!

Man of Honour
Agreed.

Oh I forgot to mention, the messenger has some sections later on which required some skill in timing your attacks and jumps, as you gain a jump where you hit something mid air... at the time I did genuinely think “ah man I bet @Kreeeee would like this!” :D

Have you played Shovel Knight? The entire collection is sublime and what you said about The Messenger reminded me about one of the campaigns in it. It might be my favourite Switch game.

If you like a splash of humour in your great Metroidvanias then get Guacamelee :)

Man of Honour
Have you played Shovel Knight? The entire collection is sublime and what you said about The Messenger reminded me about one of the campaigns in it. It might be my favourite Switch game.

If you like a splash of humour in your great Metroidvanias then get Guacamelee :)
Yes I have the treasure trove collection - played through the main game which was good and then there’s the alternative character where you do those jumps (on that rising lift platform hurrrrgnh!!!) and that sort of jump timing thing that occurs every now and again is pretty much exactly what I’m talking about.

I can’t remember exactly how it was in hollow knight but in the messenger it’s combinations of dashing forward (one button) and attacking enemies (another button) whilst mid-air jumping (another button) firing projectiles (another button) and gliding (holding the jump button) - and remembering that when you dash you plummet like a stone so you have to re-jump. Man there were so many moment of “fuuuuuu!!!!l but I kept going back for more punishment - I probably was spamming the buttons in a less than precise manner *ahem* :D

Will get one of those games later :)

edit - and I should finish those other SK campaigns too.

Soldato
I'm debating picking up Cities Skylines while it's on sale. Enjoy it on the PC but being able to play on the train to work would be great (if/when we can leave the house again). Anyone played it on the Switch? Surely it can't handle anywhere near the levels of city as the PC version.

How much do you enjoy the early game? Because you'll be playing a lot of it. The frame rate drops through the floor once your city hits a certain size.

I don't regret buying it. But don't go in expecting the PC experience on Switch. You're going to be building towns, not sprawling metropolises.

Soldato
Looking forward to Borderlands and Bioshock. Haven't played a Bioshock game before, so seems a good time to give them a go. Just a shame the release date is the end of May.

Associate
Just completed Witcher 3, about to do the DLC's now :)

Considering they've done such a great job with porting that over to the Switch, what are the odds of Rockstar bringing GTA V or RDR 2?

I really do prefer playing these massive open-world story-based games on the go (BOTW completed in October), as I can play in really short bursts, I don't feel like playing for long on the TV anymore.

Associate
How much do you enjoy the early game? Because you'll be playing a lot of it. The frame rate drops through the floor once your city hits a certain size.

I don't regret buying it. But don't go in expecting the PC experience on Switch. You're going to be building towns, not sprawling metropolises.

Yeah I weighed it up and decided against it in the end. I might still pick it up in the future but for now I'm not going to get the most out of it. I can see myself playing it very differently to the PC version, taking it as a lot more relaxed / rough around the edges approach to a city. It sounds like I'll be in the same boat as you, won't regret it but I'm not itching to buy it based on the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom