How much do people pay for a phone?

Man of Honour
My last two phones have been:
Moto G6 Plus: £280
Moto G8 Plus: £240 (only because my phone fell out of my pocket on a roundabout while cycling home last December and it got trashed otherwise the G6 did everything I needed, it is better though (camera, battery life, memory, speed).

£8 EE sim with unlimited/unlimited/6gb

Soldato
Depends

I used to have a vodafone sim only which was £20 a month including spotify. Last black friday though I changed it, and I've now got an iPhone 11 with 60gb data for £33 a month (and a free google home hub max which I sold for £150)

Man maths £33 x 24 = £792 - £150 = £642

Now I was already paying £20 a month (£20 x 24 = £480) so I basically got an iphone 11 for £162

The mrs and my son each have sky mobile sims (£10 and £6 a month, with the piggybank data sharing). They each bought their iphones from wowcamera.

Hopefully if quidco tracks my sons order and they price match topcashback with the bonus payment, he will be getting his sim for nothing.

Soldato
Paid £269 for my current phone, a little over the £250 soft budget I set myself but still within my 10% wiggle room. Currently on a crappy Vodafone PAYG, but will be switching to Smarty in the near future.

Soldato
The last phone I bought was an OP7 Pro which I bought brand new from OP.
I won't be getting a new phone until next year and when I do I'm really quite tempted to just get a decent mid range for around £350-400.

Soldato
and like me I bet you wonder why people buy expensive phones that don't actually make Whatsapp and Facebook go any faster.

I have a 12" CRT black and white TV and wonder why people buy OLED TVs to watch the same programs as I watch.
I drive a £200 auction house banger to work and wonder why people spend money buying more expensive cars that get them to work the same way mine does.
I live in the smallest house in the worst area and wonder why people buy nice houses when my roof keeps me just as dry.
I wonder why people go out for expensive meals when a tin of smartprice beans sustains the body just as efficiently.
I don't spend a penny more than I need to on anything whatsoever and wonder why other people do so.

Etc etc.

Man of Honour
I have a 12" CRT black and white TV and wonder why people buy OLED TVs to watch the same programs as I watch.
I drive a £200 auction house banger to work and wonder why people spend money buying more expensive cars that get them to work the same way mine does.
I live in the smallest house in the worst area and wonder why people buy nice houses when my roof keeps me just as dry.
I wonder why people go out for expensive meals when a tin of smartprice beans sustains the body just as efficiently.
I don't spend a penny more than I need to on anything whatsoever and wonder why other people do so.

Etc etc.

I've done a comparison between my mates top end Samsung and mine, there really isn't much difference no matter how you try and justify it.
Don't get taken in.

Soldato
I've done a comparison between my mates top end Samsung and mine, there really isn't much difference no matter how you try and justify it.

I'm not trying to justify anything. Each to their own. Like you wonder why someone would spend money on a more expensive phone than you choose to buy, I wonder why people can't understand that their own opinion of what's right isn't necessarily representative.

Man of Honour
OK, I can see I'm being a bit argumentative and wrong about geeks who come on a forum like this.
I suppose my argument is with people I know who have these top end phones on £50 contracts.
For example my two female colleagues have S10s but I know that the extent of their usage is taking photos of their kids and uploading to social media.
They're not watching 4k films or need the power of a much better camera etc so to me they are completely wasting their money especially when they moan they can't afford this & that in their daily lives.
I have no problem with geeks with disposable income who want the best and know what they're getting.

Associate
I don't play games on my phone so no more than £500. When these folding phones have been out a bit longer I would consider upping my budget to get one. Just cos they look cool. haha.

Soldato
Differences are there, whether they are worth it is a matter how much disposable income you have.

Agreed, although it's not just disposable income, it's how important the small differences are to you. This argument will forever come up I guess. It's just the same as a cheap car will essentially do the same as an expensive car. A cheap CPU will essentially do the same as an expensive CPU. A cheap bicycle will essentially do the same as an expensive bicycle.

There are differences though, they can't actually do exactly the same. To some the differences are not needed, so it makes sense to buy the cheaper. Other people value the differences, so worth buying. Please lets leave that argument there :)

Myself, for my daily I will spend anywhere between £600 and £900 at the moment. I used to change phones every 3 to 6 months, now it's generally once a year.

Also, the cost is only really how much you lose on a device. If I paid £700 and sold it for £500, the device only really cost me £200. Androids do drop in price very quickly though, so the cost is usually around £300-£400 over a year.

Soldato
Last 3 phones have been Chinese ones (Axon 7, Pocophone F1 & now Mi9t Pro) All of them have been below £350, especially the Pocophone F1. Reason for 3 phones in 3 years was the Axon 7 had a minor screen fault and got a full refund and the Pocophone F1 was sold for a £30 loss on what I paid. Prior to these I was on contract for £18 months having the usual Samsung top end phones right from the Samsung S2.

Back
Top Bottom