Your parcel is due for delivery by DPD . . .

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . between 12:29 and 13:29 on Saturday . . .

Why?
In God's name, why are delivery companies always so precisely vague?
What is wrong with "between 12:30 and 13:30"?

Soldato
I should imagine that the time for all travelling and stops has been calcualted, and yours has been estimated at 12:59 (or possibly 12:44), and the system has been set up to advise the window with 30mins padding either side (or 15 before, 45 after), the same window might be used to produce scores for the driver on how well he is meeting his targets. if the window came out as between 12:32 and 13:32, he might not be happy if he last too minutes because the system rounded down to 13:30

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Haven't you got better things to get on with?
Every minute counts mate, I have a great many much more important things to get on with!

Who knows what I might be doing at 13:30? ;)

I should imagine that the time for all travelling and stops has been calcualted, and yours has been estimated at 12:59 (or possibly 12:44), and the system has been set up to advise the window with 30mins padding either side (or 15 before, 45 after), the same window might be used to produce scores for the driver on how well he is meeting his targets. if the window came out as between 12:32 and 13:32, he might not be happy if he last too minutes because the system rounded down to 13:30
I take your point but in my experience, :29 or :59 is ALWAYS quoted - WHY?

Soldato
depending on the company the courier actually gets to set their own etas based on the route the no of stops and their estimated times,

ie driver will arrive at the depot load his van then set his run for the day, most couriers know their runs better than the automated planners do so will set their own etas, i would imagine given the severe lack of traffic on the road atm and the fact that most people will be at home rather than having to faff about leaving calling cards deliveries will be on the early side of the window

Soldato
I know we are in a lockdown and trying to find things to do can be difficult but to raise a thread about this is absurd. And now I've wasted my time responding.

See what you have done op this is a vicious cycle.

Soldato
you know when you drive somewhere and it doesn't always take exactly 5 mins, or 10mins...or some other round number?

that's why :p

it's not always -:29 or :59 btw... could be anything!

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
They're taking half an hour either side of the predicted route planned arrival time to give them the best chance of landing in that window.
I can't believe I'm even having to explain this :p
No, I can't believe you aren't explaining it either.

The point, which most people seem to be missing, is why invariably one minute before the hour or the half-hour - your experience may differ - mine doesn't.

Caporegime
. . . between 12:29 and 13:29 on Saturday . . .

Why?
In God's name, why are delivery companies always so precisely vague?
What is wrong with "between 12:30 and 13:30"?

So they estimate that they will get there for roughly 12:59 based on the average however the driver could be delayed somewhere longer than expected or he could find there was less of an issue with delays and get there earlier.

DPD are the best slating them for providing an hour time slot is pretty dumb.

I take it you have never used royal mail, my hermes, yodel, etc.

You are complaining about a delivery company being too accurate. Seriously

Back
Top Bottom