Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Picard fits in incredibly well with the Star Trek Online game - which has pretty much now become the repository for how all these different story lines meld together. I was looking forward to seeing the Iconians. :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Trekkies haven't watched Picard, actually the significant majority of us refuse to acknowledge as Star Trek anything under the "Alternative" (25% different rule) licence which sprouted the "Prime" & "Kelvin" timelines in which STD, Picard and the 3 movies are based.

Last production under the Star Trek "original licence" and "Canon" timeline was Enterprise, 15 years ago

Aargh!

There is no 25% rule. No 22.87% rule. No rule at all in place that says any Trek has to be different for licencing purposes. Any differences (Klingon makeup and Enterprise look in STD for example) are purely creative choices. I don't know how many more times this needs to be said before it sinks in. It originated from one, since deleted, blog post. It's been denied by all parties. It. Is not. A thing!

Soldato
One thing i hate about this and its the swearing and vaping etc. Its not needed and its not suppose to be in trek. Even in generations when data swore i was a bit shocked they let that in tbh as wasnt needed.

Soldato
I'm sure they can.

This is not the pre-2005 series which were made cheaply.
Enterprice had $1.7mil per episode on series 1-3 and $800K on series 4. TNG was around $1.3mil per episode.

These costs are nowhere near, even if adjust for inflation, for STD costing almost $8.5mil per episode. Netflix paid $6mil per episode of STD according to their contract.
Picard had even bigger budget per episode initially but after Netflix outright refused, they had to find someone else and Amazon didn't paid the money they wanted but a lot less. Hence had to cut the series to 10 episodes from 12 and initially from 16.

CBS All access doesn't have the money to fund series costing $1mil per episode let alone $8.5mil. And no normal "tv channel" would pay that much money.

Soldato
Of course CBS has the money. They make a profit and additionalonies from overseas licensing but they can of course afford to create and produce their content.

If what you said is true where is it mentioned? I feel it is like this 25% difference thing you are so fixated on. Again something that is total made up and not true.

Man of Honour
I thought the last episode was one of the better ones.

I enjoyed the space ship scenes and the stand off. Riker turning up did put a bit smile on my face and I did a little yippee :D

I also really enjoyed the end scenes with Picard and data although I’m not too sure about whacking Picard’s mind in an android. I do wonder whether they filmed two alternative endings based on whether the season got renewed.

The new characters were all still pretty poor and had little development other than the scientist lady. The cigar smoking captain was the second best and Rafi and sword man were awful... horrible one dimensional characters that never seemed to grow or change at all.

I don’t really understand how both sides were partially stowed away on the Borg cube together without interference from one another.

I really didn’t like Seven of Nine’s inexplicable relationship with Rafi. I really, really didn’t like it. I turned round to my parter who was already pulling a face of WTF. That was a horrible thing (not the relationship itself, just the way it was done). It made no sense and felt shoe horned and awkward, just as it would with any two characters being shown to have a relationship without ANY BUILDUP, regardless of sex / gender whatever. I feel this was particularly dumb as there is a very moving episode concerning sexuality in TNG where Riker falls in love with someone who is then punished and oppressed for loving Riker. Completely ahead of its time that, quite powerful. And now we have a token holding of hands. Urgh.

My nostalgia for TNG definitely heavily influenced my enjoyment of it. It was otherwise OK but I would expect a lot more from the supporting characters for season 2 as we can’t dine off the nostalgia forever.

They have to swear in every episode now it seems. What happened to the utopia from TNG and Voyager? The human race is now so violent, corrupt and wilfully ignorant. A lot seems to have happened between Voyager getting back and this time. Society has degraded to level not seen since the days of Covid.

This stuff is trash. Star Trek it isn't. This takes some elements of star trek and then takes a huge plastic CGI dump over them mixed with ludicrous over the top baddies and cheap soap opera acting and story lines.

Last edited:
Soldato
They have to swear in every episode now it seems. What happened to the utopia from TNG and Voyager? The human race is now so violent, corrupt and wilfully ignorant. A lot seems to have happened between Voyager getting back and this time. Society has degraded to level not seen since the days of Covid.

This stuff is trash. Star Trek it isn't. This takes some elements of star trek and then takes a huge plastic CGI dump over them mixed with ludicrous over the top baddies and cheap soap opera acting and story lines.

One of the reasons Critical Drinker says this isn't Trek. No optimism, no attempt for humanity to become better than it is and strive for advancement. It's just our world with flashier technology, but everyone being awful to each other with drinking, drugs, crime, swearing, etc. It's the usual lazy writing. Half the characters (like space elf) have nothing to do.

Soldato
When are these companies going to stop running beloved franchise into the ground just to score some internet points with a small minority. Don't they know it's the fanbase that has that's been keeping these shows alive for the past 30 years.......

The people they are trying to please with all their current politics don't watch the shows or buy the merchandise!!!!!!!

I watched the final episode.....

Flipping hell the whole season was just a SJW check box exercise.......

I can't believe I helped improve this shows ratings...

WTH was with strong diverse woman holding hands with the other strong cyborg woman at the end lol.....

Completely shoe horned in to try and please the lesbians and am sure it probably insulted more than it did please.

The fight on Borg cube could have been epic but I was even let down with it....

The writing in this was shocking calling these people soap opera writers would be an insult to soap opera's.

This is so getting a second season and discovery won't end soon. It's the only major franchise CBS has....

Soldato
Aargh!

There is no 25% rule. No 22.87% rule. No rule at all in place that says any Trek has to be different for licencing purposes. Any differences (Klingon makeup and Enterprise look in STD for example) are purely creative choices. I don't know how many more times this needs to be said before it sinks in. It originated from one, since deleted, blog post. It's been denied by all parties. It. Is not. A thing!

It was a facebook post by John Eaves, the guy who designed the ships. There's some mileage in it.

-----------------

Eaves:

"Back in April of 2017 the task of the Enterprise making an appearance [in Discovery - JM] came to be and work was to start right away," designer John Eaves explained in post on Facebook. "The task started with the guideline that the Enterprise for Discovery had to be 25% different otherwise production would have most likely been able to use the original design from the 60's but that couldn't happen so we took Jefferies original concepts and with great care tried to be as faithful as possible. We had the advantage of a ten-year gap in Trek history to retro the ship a bit with elements that could be removed and replaced somewhere in the time frame of Discovery and the Original series.”

The Jefferies design referred to is the one that was used on TOS, which as Eaves went on to explain, led to a legal predicament for when coming up with Discovery's prequel version.

“After Enterprise, properties of Star Trek ownership changed hands and was divided, so what was able to cross TV shows up to that point changed and a lot of the crossover was no longer allowed. That is why when JJ [Abrams]'s movie came along everything had to be different. The alternate universe concept was what really made that movie happen in a way as to not cross the new boundaries and give Trek a new footing to continue.”

Trekkies haven't watched Picard, actually the significant majority of us refuse to acknowledge as Star Trek anything under the "Alternative" (25% different rule) licence which sprouted the "Prime" & "Kelvin" timelines in which STD, Picard and the 3 movies are based.

Last production under the Star Trek "original licence" and "Canon" timeline was Enterprise, 15 years ago

Oh get out with that nonsense.

Caporegime
When are these companies going to stop running beloved franchise into the ground just to score some internet points with a small minority. Don't they know it's the fanbase that has that's been keeping these shows alive for the past 30 years.......

The people they are trying to please with all their current politics don't watch the shows or buy the merchandise!!!!!!!

I watched the final episode.....

Flipping hell the whole season was just a SJW check box exercise.......

I can't believe I helped improve this shows ratings...

WTH was with strong diverse woman holding hands with the other strong cyborg woman at the end lol.....

Completely shoe horned in to try and please the lesbians and am sure it probably insulted more than it did please.

The fight on Borg cube could have been epic but I was even let down with it....

The writing in this was shocking calling these people soap opera writers would be an insult to soap opera's.

This is so getting a second season and discovery won't end soon. It's the only major franchise CBS has....
Apparently the hands thing was done by the two of them without direction and ad-libbed and left in.

Back
Top Bottom