[HELP] I Bought my Brother a Gaming PC but it's not performing right?

Soldato
All looks healthy, though the GPU boost of 18xxMHz seems low. I've heard the 1080Ti should reach ~2000. But then my 1070 is under water - that hits 1974MHz under 50°C.

The RAM speed in BIOS looks reported as 2133MHz but set to XMP 3200. Is that with the settings saved and rebooted? Usually F10 in BIOS.

Note: 1064 x 2 = roughly 2133... So that makes sense according to the BIOS comment above.

Big improvement! :)

Associate
what mobo does he have as you maybe running the memory above the rated max speed support and then defaults to ddr4 rated 2133mhz speeds at boot. Also 2133 vs 3200 is maybe 3-5fps in most games if vsync is off and sometimes (on well optimized games) more.

Associate
OP
what mobo does he have as you maybe running the memory above the rated max speed support and then defaults to ddr4 rated 2133mhz speeds at boot. Also 2133 vs 3200 is maybe 3-5fps in most games if vsync is off and sometimes (on well optimized games) more.
That's a good point, it's an Asus Strix B250F and I think you're right about it only supporting 2100MHz, good shout.

Associate
The max that board supports is 2400mhz. shame but you should be able to get 2400mhz @1.2v. If your good at changing memory timings you can drop the timings to 16-16-16-34-1T and have a nice 2-3fps bump in performance :)

Associate
OP
The max that board supports is 2400mhz. shame but you should be able to get 2400mhz @1.2v. If your good at changing memory timings you can drop the timings to 16-16-16-34-1T and have a nice 2-3fps bump in performance :)
I've literally never messed with memory timings lol

Associate
once your in the bios under ai tweaker change xmp to auto I believe and dram frequency to 2400mhz. Then under dram timing control just change command rate from 2T to 1T and finally change dram voltage to auto and f10 save. This will save you messing with timings you not comfortable with and will work as it's the same timing but much lower frequency. That should give you 2400mhz 16-18-18-36-1T @ 1.2volts

Associate
OP
N
once your in the bios under ai tweaker change xmp to auto I believe and dram frequency to 2400mhz. Then under dram timing control just change command rate from 2T to 1T and finally change dram voltage to auto and f10 save. This will save you messing with timings you not comfortable with and will work as it's the same timing but much lower frequency. That should give you 2400mhz 16-18-18-36-1T @ 1.2volts
Nice one thanks, I'll have a look next time I'm round there then.

Soldato
All looks healthy, though the GPU boost of 18xxMHz seems low. I've heard the 1080Ti should reach ~2000. But then my 1070 is under water - that hits 1974MHz under 50°C.

The RAM speed in BIOS looks reported as 2133MHz but set to XMP 3200. Is that with the settings saved and rebooted? Usually F10 in BIOS.

Note: 1064 x 2 = roughly 2133... So that makes sense according to the BIOS comment above.

Big improvement! :)

what you hear tends to be the silicon lottery winners which then tends to make people believe thats the norm. A bit like how all the 9900k's all can hit 5ghz rumours.

I dont know what the mean average is for 1080 ti's but mine cannot hit 2000 stable even with tuning, at stock turbo it barely tops 1800. I can push with manual voltage steps to around 1948. Although I run it lower than that with under volting to about 1864 for daily use. My card isnt even stable using the vendor OC mode. So there is lottery loser cards out there, but even losers are within nvidia spec.

Associate
OP
This PC still has a problem, randomly the FPS keeps dropping to around 53 with 60% GPU usage but if the PC is restarted it shoots back up to 90 ish FPS and 99% GPU usage.

Obviously with this whole lockdown and social distancing I can't actually get to see this PC at the moment as I'm only allowed to travel to work. When the FPS drops the CPU temp is like 50°C which seems very low to me for a non Delidded 7700k so at this time I assume that the CPU usage is low as well. I couldn't seem to get Afterburner to actually show the CPU usage on the OSD but I'll see if I can get that resolved today over the phone.

What on earth could cause low CPU and GPU usage seemingly out of the blue that is instantly fixed by a reboot?

Soldato
This PC still has a problem, randomly the FPS keeps dropping to around 53 with 60% GPU usage but if the PC is restarted it shoots back up to 90 ish FPS and 99% GPU usage.

Obviously with this whole lockdown and social distancing I can't actually get to see this PC at the moment as I'm only allowed to travel to work. When the FPS drops the CPU temp is like 50°C which seems very low to me for a non Delidded 7700k so at this time I assume that the CPU usage is low as well. I couldn't seem to get Afterburner to actually show the CPU usage on the OSD but I'll see if I can get that resolved today over the phone.

What on earth could cause low CPU and GPU usage seemingly out of the blue that is instantly fixed by a reboot?
Is that on a certain game or do all games cause it to drop?

Soldato

This really sounds like the first issue I mentioned.

What might stabilise it is underclocking the GPU. Also reducing the power limit as well.

To explain the problem again (it is not well known about).

1080ti's (and possibly other gpu's in same generation) can turn off some of their cores.
The clear symptom of this is a maxed out utilisation of 60%.
When this happens it can only be reverted by a reboot.
As it is undocumented, no one knows the exact reasons for it happening, but it appears to be a behaviour designed to avoid crashes, so its more desirable for a system to slow down, than to crash. Which indicates the gpu is not in a fully stable configuration, so could be the chip itself cannot handle the clocks, it could be power draw issues.

Maybe swap PC's, if you not willing to do that, get afterburner on his pc, reduce clocks by at least 100mhz, and power utilisation cap by at least 5%.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1722918-weird-power-limit-forced-cap-issue-1080ti.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP

What might stabilise it is underclocking the GPU. Also reducing the power limit as well.

1080ti's (and possibly other gpu's in same generation) can turn off some of their cores.
As it is undocumented, no one knows the exact reasons for it happening, but it appears to be a behaviour designed to avoid crashes, so its more desirable for a system to slow down, than to crash. Which indicates the gpu is not in a fully stable configuration, so could be the chip itself cannot handle the clocks, it could be power draw issues.

Maybe swap PC's, if you not willing to do that, get afterburner on his pc, reduce clocks by at least 100mhz, and power utilisation cap by at least 5%.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1722918-weird-power-limit-forced-cap-issue-1080ti.html

I'll give it a try thanks, not sure when though as things are obviously a bit difficult right now.

Associate
OP
I

I've not been able to test this yet but if thisi actually the issue is it the GPU or PSU that is at fault?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've got him gaming now with the following Afterburner settings:

Power Limit 95%
Temp Limit 83°C
Core Clock -100MHz
Memory Clock -100MHz

He's going to let me know if it does the usual and suddenly drops FPS massively.

EDIT/ It played ok for just over an hour with no problems and was pretty much pinned at 95fps so hopefully this is a good sign. He's going to try to game a bit longer tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So far since you had me down clock the GPU it's *touch wood* been performing very well. Obviously need some more play time to completely confirm if this is actually the issue but it certainly does sound like it. So I guess I just got unlucky when I bought this PC for him then as there is extremely little info on this exact issue and obviously no fix for it.

Back
Top Bottom