Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem- New ARPG

Soldato
Hit around 48 and already a little bored with it. Same issue d3 had on launch in that item rolls aren't class/skill equipped dependant leaving huge amounts of useless loot.
I'd say it's not as bad as Diablo 3 was on release, but there is definitely an aspect of it. The ability to cross class with a single character means the gear needs to drop gear to allow options, I'd say the main issue is analysing the loot.
In Diablo 3 (now atleast) you can mouse over the items and get a quick overview of how the items compare to what you have currently, no such feature in Wolcen right now. Add in that you need to pick up the items and mouse over them, occasionally deal with the bug when it doesn't display anything at all and then dig through your statistics mean it is often painful to review loot. I'm up to about level 60 and starting to only pick up rare items when they're a slot where I know I'm not overly strong.

Soldato
After yesterdays patch I'm now waiting for next weeks to see what changes they make again, BE needed some changes but not nerfing into the ground and putting on a 10sec cd, felt so slow last night BE one group wait for cd then another made rifts feel boring.

Soldato
I'd say it's not as bad as Diablo 3 was on release, but there is definitely an aspect of it. The ability to cross class with a single character means the gear needs to drop gear to allow options, I'd say the main issue is analysing the loot.
In Diablo 3 (now atleast) you can mouse over the items and get a quick overview of how the items compare to what you have currently, no such feature in Wolcen right now. Add in that you need to pick up the items and mouse over them, occasionally deal with the bug when it doesn't display anything at all and then dig through your statistics mean it is often painful to review loot. I'm up to about level 60 and starting to only pick up rare items when they're a slot where I know I'm not overly strong.

I'm surprised they didn't copy aspects from Torchlight 2 and Marvel Heroes. They both had a lot of very clever loot handling that allowed you to easily mass discard/sell stuff you had no interest in.

Soldato
@Steampunk, man do I miss Marvel Heroes :(

Level 60 on my pew pew, decided to roll an alt Mage. I like how you don't have to play through the whole story again and can level via Mandates then Expeditions once you hit 15.

Trying to make a pure DoT AoE heavily speccing into Wisdom + Ferocity, we'll see how this goes. Half the fun is working it out yourself and not copying trendy builds.

Associate
Think I'm going to give this game a break for a few months until they do some serious bug fixing and balancing. I managed to get up to lvl 72, but I don't feel inclined to carry on at the moment whilst the devs nerf skills / passives to oblivion. Whilst I agree that bleeding edge needed to be toned down, I found their heavy handed approach a bit disconcerting. I'd rather they buff other skills to keep the game fun and fast paced.

Soldato
Really enjoying it. Avoided all the builds involving bleeding edge as it was super OP. Got a fun build using Plagueburst, Tear of Etheliel and Anomaly. Absolutely melting enemies.

Soldato
Well I went back to my dual pistol char and totally messed up my working build ... damn it gets costly respeccing !

** the very next expedition I went on a red Bow dropped that's rather sexy (Can't recall it's name) **

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it really that bad?
No, it really isn't that bad. It's a long way from perfect, a good way from it's potential, but it's not half as bad as a lot of people make out. The graphics are decent, the gameplay is mostly enjoyable due to some interesting mechanics and the story had some moments. There's lots of build variation you can use to progress in the game, some argue that there isn't due to end-game there being a limited selection of builds that work for max tier grinding. But games like this are always going to have a flavour of the month for top tier gameplay, so it's a completely moot point. Endgame is lacking compared to Diablo3 for example, but it's only just come out - it's in a far better state than D3 was on release!

Soldato
Installed but haven't started this yet, I'm scared to do so with all the negativity surrounding it.

Is it really that bad?

It's not terrible, but it really needs a lot of polishing, fixing, balancing, etc. It's kind of like it should be in late beta with another six months work on it, rather than full release. A lot of things just aren't working right, and magic users are pretty broken. Mages are like glass cannons, but without the cannon bit.

I think the biggest problem with Wolcen is: why would you play it over Path Of Exile or Diablo 3, which has more content, is more balanced and polished, and (in the case of PoE) is free?

Wolcen could be good in six months if the devs haven't given up on it, but right now it's pretty average compared to PoE and D3.

Soldato
Has this gotten any better? Magic builds still horrible? Balance issues? Major bugs etc?
'
It's your typical aRPG grind fest, if that appeals then yes it's very playable and quite good fun. It will get boring but there's more free content coming.

Bugs? I't plays well, I'm not experiencing anything playing solo.

Maybe wait until it's on sale or half price.

Soldato
So this game finally had a content update today.

It's also on sale via Steam with 25% off. I haven't bought it yet but I've been keeping an eye on this game as something to play whilst waiting for Diablo IV

Back
Top Bottom