CPU Folders - Look at BOINC for Covid-19

Soldato
Rosetta@Home is now releasing/labelling more WU with "COVID-19".

Currently 50% of my WU in my queue are COVID 19 related.

I've switched all my CPUs across to BOINC with my RX580 still pointing at FAH.

Soldato
I have noticed in the advanced view about 80% of my work units are now COVID-19; it's keeping my 3600 busy which is nice.

My F@H units have completely dried up, though I don't really have a GFX card capable of helping much anyway on that.

Soldato
My BOINC stopped uploading/downloading about 24 hours ago. The remaining active work units completed and trailed off, and I noticed that both uploads and downloads had stalled, with ever-lengthening delays until retry. I spent all today thinking their servers were now overloaded, as with FaH's and just left it running.

By chance, I loaded up my network adblocker (AdGuard Home) just now... and one of my filter lists, Energized Ultimate, added boinc.bakerlab.org (Rosetta's server) to their blacklist yesterday. Idiots! I white-listed the domain and BOINC is back up and running at full tilt again. Shame about the work time / points I lost during the downtime though. I'm now down to 5th place on the OcUK leaderboard. :p

You all might want to add boinc.bakerlab.org to your Pi-Hole/AdGuard/pfblockerNG whitelists!

Just as interesting, imo, is the little dip on 25th March. That was when I followed @ChrisD. advice and undervolted and underclocked my 3960X. The performance/points drop is minimal as you can see, considering it's now pulling so much less electricity (100W now vs 280W before).

2DxmBU7.png

Man of Honour
That's very minimal difference, considering the savings in electricity and heat output. I'm up to number 2 on the OcUK list for recent points. :)

Man of Honour
I'm running both BOINC and Folding, is there a way to set BOINC up so that when I get WU's for Folding that the BOINC tasks pause?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
By chance, I loaded up my network adblocker (AdGuard Home) just now... and one of my filter lists, Energized Ultimate, added boinc.bakerlab.org (Rosetta's server) to their blacklist yesterday. Idiots! I white-listed the domain and BOINC is back up and running at full tilt again. Shame about the work time / points I lost during the downtime though. I'm now down to 5th place on the OcUK leaderboard. :p

You all might want to add boinc.bakerlab.org to your Pi-Hole/AdGuard/pfblockerNG whitelists!

Thanks will check Pi-hole and try this in case.

Soldato
I'm running both BOINC and Folding, is there a way to set BOINC up so that when I get WU's for Folding that the BOINC tasks pause?

View > Advanced view. Then Options > Computing preferences > Supend when non-BOINC CPU usage over X% (25 by default iirc). Or just have BOINC doing CPU and Folding doing GPU. I'm getting fairly consistent work for FaH that way and BOINC is obviously always busy.

Man of Honour
View > Advanced view. Then Options > Computing preferences > Supend when non-BOINC CPU usage over X% (25 by default iirc). Or just have BOINC doing CPU and Folding doing GPU. I'm getting fairly consistent work for FaH that way and BOINC is obviously always busy.
Cheers, I'll give that a go.

Soldato
I'm using BOINC for CPU on a 2700x. Are there any tips for doing similar undervolting on this for cheaper running? I'd like to do this long term so if I can reduce my power consumption that would be ideal.

Man of Honour
I'm using BOINC for CPU on a 2700x. Are there any tips for doing similar undervolting on this for cheaper running? I'd like to do this long term so if I can reduce my power consumption that would be ideal.
Just set the clock speed to stock and then keep lowering the core voltage until the point it becomes unstable, then slightly add.

Soldato
Yup - been running Rosetta@Home as F@H rarely has work for me.

Running a Mac Mini 3.2GHz 6 core i7 with hyperthreading = 12 workloads.

I have got one minor issue with one task in advanced mode "Waiting for Memory". I have 32GB and nothing else has been running so unless there's a memory leak (I note that accountsd in OSX Catalina is taking 915MB). I may have to reboot after 13 days uptime.. top says 28GB used, 410MB available.

Each task says it's using 6GB virtual in the BOINC manager..

A quick reboot and accountsd is now taking 24MB.. all the tasks are now running and all is hunky-dory. Worth checking on your memory use OSX peeps. Actually F@H has finally just worked up with a new task (the download bug?) too.. so cooking on fire. now using 18GB of memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup - been running Rosetta@Home as F@H rarely has work for me.

Running a Mac Mini 3.2GHz 6 core i7 with hyperthreading = 12 workloads.

I have got one minor issue with one task in advanced mode "Waiting for Memory". I have 32GB and nothing else has been running so unless there's a memory leak (I note that accountsd in OSX Catalina is taking 915MB). I may have to reboot after 13 days uptime.. top says 28GB used, 410MB available.

Each task says it's using 6GB virtual in the BOINC manager..

A quick reboot and accountsd is now taking 24MB.. all the tasks are now running and all is hunky-dory. Worth checking on your memory use OSX peeps. Actually F@H has finally just worked up with a new task (the download bug?) too.. so cooking on fire. now using 18GB of memory.

Boinc by default is set to use only 50% memory when in use, you can change it in computing preferences / disk and memory.

Back
Top Bottom