Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard

Associate
Hi all, I've learnt a lot from these boards over the years - first time I've needed to ask a question.

Basically I have the option to buy a new PC from a friend with either a Ryzen 7 3700x or 3800x processor, and it comes with a Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard.

From reading the forum I can see quite a few people strongly dislike the board for poor VRM management.

I'll be using the PC for general use and some occasional gaming, nothing too intense. I don't plan to overlock anything, nor will I need to upgrade in the near future. So basically my questions is will this board's supposed shortcomings matter significantly to someone with my more limited needs?

If the board causes a slight dip in performance I could probably live with that as I doubt it would be very noticeable to me, but if it's going to lead to a higher chance of blue screening and early hardware failure then not so much...

Would the 3700x actually be a safer/better choice in this motherboard due to its slightly lower demands? The 3800x comes with a Corsair Hydro H100i PRO cooler if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not poor, accurate term is scam.
It simply can't feed all CPUs it claims to support under fully multithreaded load.
Even lowly Asrock B450 Pro4 has stronger VRM.

At the minimum you should remove that plastic marketing excrement which sabotages VRM cooling.

Associate
I had this board and it was the worst experience I ever had with hardware. I spent literally 2 or 3 weeks fine tuning everything with this board thinking it was me to just find out the VRM is garbage even with a 3600. I was getting 3.75 to 3.8Ghz all core in Cinebench. Numbers way below everyone else with the 3600

Soldato
You have a choice of CPU but not motherboard?

Tell your friend you will buy but you want a b450 tomahawk or pro carbon. A real friend would not sell you a rog strix b450F!

Soldato
I've always thought the ROG brand is for noobs anway. For people with no clue or interest in hardware whatsoever. A brand with good marketing and hype that's expensive so it must be good. The goto brand for rich noobs who need a gaming rig.

Unsure which motherboard to buy and too lazy to watch a review? No problem, just buy a ROG motherboard. Unsure which mechanical keyboard to buy and too lazy to research the best switches? No problem, just buy a ROG keyboard. Unsure which gaming mouse to buy and too lazy to read reviews or do any research at all? No problem, just buy a ROG mouse. Need a new monitor but bamboozled by all the options? No problem, just filter the results by brand and click ROG. ROG, because we care.

That's just how I see the brand.

Back
Top Bottom