What "man jobs" have you done today?

apg

apg

Associate
Pollarded a holly tree in the back garden. Not to encourage lower branches to grow, but to allow more sunlight into the garden.

Associate
so i have cleared out our front garden flower bed, removed all the old rose bushes etc and leveled off the ground sprayed it with weedkiller as it has so many different weeds going through it (nettles brambles etc) and i have left it for a few days so everything has a chance to die off going to rake it through again and then cover it with weed control and then cover with plum slate. I will be reinstating some plants by cutting through the weed control but not too much it was just always messy last year and i got fed up deweeding it constantly. all the section that is boxed off has been cleared. and the lawn has been reseeded haha apparently there is a concrete pad under there somewhere.

49707738992_b1d99d5c2e_z.jpg

Soldato
Installed my Nest Thermostat today. Was a bit of confusion because I thought I should be connecting it straight to the boiler so I took the existing one off and wired the Nest in place, hit next on the app and it told me I shouldn't have done that and what I actually needed to do was set the existing panel to continuous and also install the Nest. So put the original Honeywell panel back on and and took off the temperature control box and put the Nest there instead, but the setup wasn't working. The temperature dial box I took off seems to be redundant and not taken off when this flat was converted I guess? I mean I've never tried using and following the trunken I can't see how it might reach the boiler controls, to put the heating on I would jus go to the Honeywell panel and slide the switch to continous until warm enough then turn it off.

So I scrapped the Nest instructions and once again took off the old Honeywell panel and put Nest there again and now it's working. The Nest app is working fine and it's working through Alexa so jobs a gooden.

Soldato
Soft washed all the paving and slabs around my house. It’s all still wet but I suspect I’ll have to give it a light pressure clean tomorrow for best results. Next job is pressure washing the driveway and then re-sanding it.

Soldato
Yesterday we weeded and tidied up the garden. I was planning to do it during the week but the council have announced that the next recycling run (which for us is today) will be last where they collect garden waste for the foreseeable so we had to get it done this weekend.

The garden is looking so much better now.

Soldato
Pressure washed all the paving. Seems more bits of mortar has worked loose again, which is annoying as we got it re-pointed last summer. Will have a go at doing it myself i think as the guy did a fairly crap job.

What's also annoying is that all the timber yards seem to be closed and i need 3 length of T&G redwood to finish a project and can't get hold it it anywhere!

Soldato
I am at work today but slipped home at lunch for something nice to eat, only to find our downstairs loo mirror had arrived. Fixed that to the tiled wall above the sink before heading out back to work.

Soldato
Love the oak worktop!! Rest of the room a work in progress?

Thanks and yes, was due to be decorated and new flooring down before the desk went in.

C-19 sort of messed that up with the Mrs and I now WFH and two kids at home I needed to get the mancave into a usable space quickly

IKEA were meant to be delivering two units to go underneath as well but they cancelled them as a.two man delivery team required (social distancing issue) so will have to.wait

Soldato
The shed I am building out of broken down old pallets I managed to get before the CV19 lockdown. So Far I have used only the wood, and screws I took out of it, to make the shed.

Shed.jpg

I have used some nails from a nail gun that I brought for my compressor 5 years ago, first time I have used it, great fun!! :D:D

Last edited:
Soldato
That's an excellent looking garage :)

I managed to find some T&G to complete my shed, but the profile is slightly different to what i had.

My original pieces have the groove cut centrally, yet these are slightly offset. Will be butchering it to try and fit but need to make the decision on how it'll look as to whether it's worth it rather than waiting.

Back
Top Bottom