Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Finally got myself out the door to run, could be the last for a while depending on what Boris says later. I decided to run the Park Run route, it was fairly quiet today and I was actively running around people and trying to keep safe distance.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
@Dup

You heard anything about the Lakeland 50? Presume that'll get called off?

So far they have cancelled/postponed the recce runs but end of July is still open for the main race so far. Now I'm running my commute (I'm not running down my stairs! haha) I need to figure out some running in my downtime. Nightmare all this tbh as kids are at home 24/7.

Ah Winter Hill, need to get myself up there when I have a car again.

Soldato
So do you still have plans to run? I think I'll try go out every couple of days to do a 5k. Due to where I run, I can't see myself coming across anyone else while we are under these circumstances but if I do, I'll just run out into the road providing it's safe.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Running out for me really, despite being rural and opportunity to run up Weets, I have two dogs that need walking at least twice a day which I can safely do away from others but here we are, morons ruined it for us sensible. I'm not happy at all.

Soldato
My plan is still to try and get out and run as normal. The only thing i'm debating is whether it's still sensible to get out for a long run at weekends. It feels a bit excessive, although i suppose there's probably not much difference between being out running for 4 miles and being out running 15 as long as you observe social distancing etc.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My plan is still to try and get out and run as normal. The only thing i'm debating is whether it's still sensible to get out for a long run at weekends. It feels a bit excessive, although i suppose there's probably not much difference between being out running for 4 miles and being out running 15 as long as you observe social distancing etc.

The only evidence is your tracking really, someone might take issue with it and report you or something daft.

I have Weets hill on my doorstep which will make a good extended dinner time run (seeing as I'm logging on way earlier in the mornings). It's a rural place that isn't a tourist spot, even on a good summer's day you don't bump into many people at all. I feel like it only really applies to townies going out to parks etc.

I'm sensible, I run alone and avoid people as much as possible anyway, nothing new there, so gonna just have a go and if I get into any bother I'll take it on the chin. My mental health is hinged off proper exercise, walking the dogs twice a day isn't the same! It's just an exercise in common sense I hope, I have no intentions of putting anyone at risk for the sake of being selfish but there's an opportunity to take here I think as I'll likely see nobody else the whole route.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well i am still going to stick to my current 80/20 Tri minus the swimming of course Cycling can done via zwift, so my longest run should only really be 2hrs, do not that is to bad really all things considered.

Its going to be cancelled of course but until i get the official nod it will be (early june) just carry on with the plan.

Associate

Just be aware that long runs (>2hrs) and really tough interval workouts lower your immune system for a short while after the run/workout. Yes, it will bounce back and be stronger in the medium term, but in the day or so afterwards you will be a little more susceptible to illness. I'm laying off the long ones and workouts during the lockdown.

Soldato
So many people out running I have never seen before this last week :D

Plenty of nice bootys though so not going to complain ;)

Im kind of enjoying overtaking the casuals I do like when I have someone in front to try and chase down.

Just ticked off 100 miles for the month happy with that.

Soldato
Haha yeah. Not sure if it’s the lockdown or the nice weather but there’s a lot of folk about.

Been a great month for me.

Fastest Mile at 7:54
Fastest 5k at 26:00
Fastest 10k at 57:10
Fastest Half at 2.07:03

The half should’ve been been at least a minute faster but I got lost which can be seen on Strava today. Plus there were a few steepish hills to contend with.

I’ve noticed my “comfortable” pace seems to be around 9:00-9:30 as opposed to ~10ish.

I’ve not really made a huge effort to run faster. Just seems to be a combination of weight loss and increased volume. I’ve ran 128 miles this month which again is a record and at 298 for the year. Given I did around 700 in 2019 that’s a huge step up!

Soldato
Good effort. You're up on me for the month and the year. I managed to get another fairly decent long run in today though, 18km, so pretty happy with that.

Soldato
Just be aware that long runs (>2hrs) and really tough interval workouts lower your immune system for a short while after the run/workout. Yes, it will bounce back and be stronger in the medium term, but in the day or so afterwards you will be a little more susceptible to illness. I'm laying off the long ones and workouts during the lockdown.

Interesting, i just came accross this in the Coronvirus thread. Seems some new research suggests strenuous exercise doesn't impair the immune system.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180420122807.htm

Caporegime
Interesting, i just came accross this in the Coronvirus thread. Seems some new research suggests strenuous exercise doesn't impair the immune system.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180420122807.htm

From reading that, it still isn't clear if they are making the distinction between regular exercise and something especially challenging like a race, a hard LR, or killer intervals workout.

From my anecdotal experience I have regular come down with a cold the day after a hard LR. But I also suspect that the cold would be inevitable and the LR just accelerated the timing by a day or so. It is also to realize that if you exercise regularly then you have a stronger immune system, so even if you do suffer from a suppressed immune system for a few hours after a hard workout that may not lower your immune response to below an average person.

Conversely again, if you are right in the midst iof the peak training for a marathon then it is ;t just the hardest workouts but the accumulated stress on the body that comes to play. In this period, if you are really training closer to your limits, your body is working over time to repair muscle damage, strengthen joints, and create adaptations in the heart,lungs, CBS, muscles, veins to lead to more efficient running. It is possible to over train - over training system is a very serious physiological condition that includes suppressed immune response, hormone issue and various mental effects. During peak training you are pushing your body closer to over training syndrome but hopefully keeping clear. SO I would still expect if you are pushing your training super hard then you aren't helping yourself in fighting illness.

Personally, I gave backed down on training for several reasons. Not really a fear COVID19, but in general you can only sustain hard training over shorter periods. I trained hard for 6 months, building volume, adding more speed workouts, pushing LRs. There is now no timeline for another race so it simply woudln't be safe to keep training. Body needs to recover to prevent injuries. You really need that taper + post race recovery period andf then relaxed training period after a period of hard training whether you race or not.

that still means 50-60miles per week for me, but a big change in focus. Much less pounding out 12mile runs on the hard asphalt trying to improve running efficiency to scarp from 2 minuets form my Marathon PR. Just relaxed running on forest trails, putting in some power hikes and hills. Keeping the pace easy. Trying to maximize fun rather than do runs to specifically train some performance aspect.

Soldato
Relaxed running on forest trails sounds perfect. I imagine you have some great scenery around you.

I got my training plan through from the running coach i spoke to. Already think i'll not bother. She suggested i think of short term goals, so i went with getting my 5k under 25 minutes which from 26 didn't seem a huge stretch. The plan is for 8 weeks and only seems to include ~3-4 runs per week with lots of cross training. Whilst it might be a great plan, it just doesn't really fit with what i'd enjoy and i'd rather be a worse runner and enjoy it, than improve massively and not enjoy it as much.

Especially at the moment, when getting out and running is the only chance to get outside that i get!

Back
Top Bottom