Star Trek: Picard

Caporegime
I watched it and enjoyed it. But I also know that people won't like it and many didn't. But they should watch it anyway so studios see that Sci-Fi is still worth showing otherwise they won't make any.

Soldato
I did enjoy parts of the final episode, but it was all nostalgia based. Was falling asleep rest of the time sadly :(

Overall ST: Picard has been very disappointing. I actually would have preferred if they did not bother if this is what they were going to manage to put out.

Will still carry on watching season 2, but with super low expectations.

Totally. Honestly for me apart from the nostalgia this did not feel like a Star Trek TV show.

Yeah, sad ain't it. It's like they did not learn from Discovery. Hate that ****!
Go Read some of the Vanity Fair interviews. Here's a snippet.

Q: so were there things about "Picard" that you knew you wanted to do that you could sense would test some boundaries for fans?

A: Sure. To the extent that I was aware of the kind of toxic fandom, the anti-SJW, you know, sad little corner of the fandom - you just disregard that. Sometimes you're motivated to have things simply because it's possibly going to **** off or provoke people who seem to have missed the memo about what exactly "star Trek" is and always has been all about.

Picard is nothing but complete woke thrash anybody who disagrees are stuck in that bubble.

There nothing wrong with real diversity but this is Hollywood and everyone knows how out of touch they are.

They attack the fans when they complain about them changing decades of world building and already established characters just to suit what ever political or social agenda they want to run with.

Season 2 could be interesting as Chabon has threw the towel in saying it's to hard to run the show.

Think he knows the show is a hot mess.

Soldato
Think he knows the show is a hot mess.
He doesn't care. He has gone on record to say that he wanted to provoke people with the show. He has also gone on record to say that he doesn't take criticism seriously as Trek fans have whinged about Star Trek sine the days of TNG airing (which is true to be fair).

“I actually went back and looked on Google Groups, which acquired Usenet, so you can look through the old Usenet groups and watch what people said about “Deep Space Nine” and then about “Voyager.” They f—ing hated it. They lacerated it. I mean, plenty of people liked it and loved it.” - Chabon 2020

Caporegime
Yeah, didn't Janeway draw loads of flack from the sexist subsection of the fanbase?

Anyway, I enjoyed Picard, and didn't notice any SJW overtones (and I am not in a SJW bubble as I have dropped plenty of shows that were too ham-fisted with it).

Soldato
Watched the last 2 last night, I think they should have left it at the end and have him just die but I had already seen the plot device being put in place pretty early on so knew it was coming which took some of the emotional edge out of the end of it for me, knowing it wasn't really the end, plus they could have quite easily recreated Data given the tech etc they had..

Soldato
Glad he is gone. Picard could easy do a u-turn and improve a lot for next season. Potential is there. Just depends on show runner/script writers.
It's doomed. CBS is busy fighting a star trek discovery plagiarism lawsuit that's how good their staff are.

The Expanse and Orville if you want good Sci Fi.

Associate
Strikes me some types of people go looking to be outraged if something even hints at it being sjw. What does that even mean? Why do you care so much that two female characters hold hands at the end? It's bizarre.
Star Trek has never been afraid of a little social commentary. If you'd ever actually listened to a Picard speech you might have learnt that. Coming from so called fans of Trek too...

Show was far from perfect, by all means be critical of plot points/acting/whatever but that sort of critique is pure, toxic nonsense.

For me the fleet interactions were disappointing. Great sfx but as someone pointed out, felt a bit copy paste. They all warp in with zero momentum, all so packed in. Said before but Expanse leads the way in showing this stuff. Even new BSG a while back. Spread them out, the camera doesn't have to be 10ft from the ship. Less is more sometimes too. Back in the day three large starships were a powerful force to be reckoned with. Now unless there's 100+ it's nada. Learn from the mistakes of Star Wars were MORE AND BIGGER are always the order of the day. We only used to see fleets like that when there was a full on war happening.

I thought the last 10 minutes totally redeemed a huge amount. Data getting a proper goodbye, getting old and dying was really well done. His Captain holding his hand...
Script delivers some brilliant dialogue and then other times poorer stuff.

Hopefully season 2 everyone has found their stride and the story arc can be satisfying.

PS I loved the Irish Romulan - I really hope her and her husband come back.

Caporegime
The cut and paste fleets are part of the awfulness.

Remember when a ship was/had a character?

Clone brushing 100s of the same design in was imo horrible.

Those romulan things looked 50x weaker than anything from 30 years before.

Aliens without "generic" accents make no sense and an Irish accent still conveys are very stereotypical type of housekeeper country bumpkin type. If that's why they chose it then..... ok.

English are usually bad guys.
It's comical to think the universal translator gives people accents based on their "scripts" :p

Soldato
Nothing wrong with two woman holding hands but where is the back story? Did they have many interactions? Did they spend much time together on the show? Again just threw in there for internet points. The show runners and cast have already confirmed this......

Nothing wrong with Irish accents, I'm from N.Ireland but it's seems they were in the south of France, and they seemed to have spent quite a lot of time there, having a broad untouched Irish accent is a little strange. Hey but that just story telling and immersion.

And again the SWJ stuff is not my main problem with the show. It's just not Star Trek

Discovery felt and sort of looked liked star Trek more than this ever did. (Apart from trying to rewrite history then make it law and a crime to ever speak of what really happened lol)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The cut and paste fleets are part of the awfulness.

Remember when a ship was/had a character?

Remember when TV wasn't in high definition and you could conceivably build ships out of model kits with marker pens painted up to look like warp nacelles and not have it look utterly laughable on-screen?

Take the Intrepid-class variant built to be in the background of fleet scenes in DS9:

EAS said:
The model is composed of a saucer hull from the Monogram Voyager kit, two pylons of an AMT runabout model, warp nacelles from the AMT Enterprise (-A) and, as weird as it may seem, an almost complete hull of a 1/32 scale Monogram F-14 Tomcat model with its twin exhaust. The F-14 hulls is mounted backward, so the exhausts are facing forward, acting as the ship's deflectors. Since the cockpit is a separate part in the Monogram model kit anyway, it was not necessary to cut through the hull, and so there is no hole in the starship's stern.

Ngu3wrO.jpg

Or the Cheyenne that was built, then had damage applied, to become one of the destroyed starships at Wolf 359 in "Best of Both Worlds":

EAS said:
The saucer bottom from the small 1/2500 AMT/Ertl Enterprise-D kit including the neck is used as the saucer top. It is obvious that, for the sake of simplicity, the modeler probably used the same parts for the hidden saucer bottom and neck, so it can be supposed that the model is vertically symmetrical. In order to suggest the Cheyenne class is much smaller than the Galaxy class, larger windows and lifeboats were added. The bridge module is comparatively large and is obviously taken from the large 1/1400 Enterprise-D. The same goes for the impulse engines. In order to make the larger impulse engines fit, the saucer rear end is indented. The four warp nacelles are actually Schwan-Stabilo highlighters, their rear end cut off

z2ZDgTK.jpg

That they manage to look as good as they do (i.e. not very) is purely down to just how good the VFX teams on Trek have been over the years...

Soldato
I never had an issue with the Irish romulan. It’s not unusual for EFL students to pick up the accent of where or from whom they learn. It might also be a aesthetic choice. Which is nicest English female accent? Irish you say, can I learn like that?

Apart from women constantly shouting at Picard I had no issue with the politics of the show.

The plot was weak at times and was a bit rough with canon and it wasn't very Star Trekky (some of the Critical Drinker comments being fair) but is was well made, well acted and generally enjoyable.

Not bad, just not as good as it could/should have been.

Soldato
OP
Like only fools and horses and red dwarf, this is a TV show which never should have returned. I was a massive fan of TNG,DS9,VOY and understand this was never meant to be a TNG v2, and yes.....it's been 20+ years, people change....but the entire show was crap.

The ending! well, where do I start. Poor CGI, the fleet at the end looked like it had been designed by a 12 year old getting to grips with adobe after effects...and don't get me started on Picard! If there was ever a TV moment worthy of the picard face palm it was this.

I blame the writers, I could have done a better job.

Rubbish. My only hope is that it gets cancelled. Picard deserves better than this.

Soldato
I watched it and enjoyed it. But I also know that people won't like it and many didn't. But they should watch it anyway so studios see that Sci-Fi is still worth showing otherwise they won't make any.

That just encourages them to make rubbish like STD and Picard. It's not even good TV, let alone good sci-fi. I don't want companies to think sci-fi fans are happy to get any old low quality stuff because there are a few space ships in it.

Soldato
That just encourages them to make rubbish like STD and Picard. It's not even good TV, let alone good sci-fi. I don't want companies to think sci-fi fans are happy to get any old low quality stuff because there are a few space ships in it.
Nobody forced you to watch it, or the upcoming series 3 Discovery.

Granted there were parts of the story that went in different directions than I'd have preferred. I feel saddened by the smoking, drinking and swearing - especially as my son watches it with me, and it no longer feels like a vision of the future to aspire to. But I'd much rather they made it than didn't.

Soldato
Nobody forced you to watch it, or the upcoming series 3 Discovery.

Granted there were parts of the story that went in different directions than I'd have preferred. I feel saddened by the smoking, drinking and swearing - especially as my son watches it with me, and it no longer feels like a vision of the future to aspire to. But I'd much rather they made it than didn't.

Pretty much my view too.

Soldato
Where was Geordie in all of this?

There's been a heavy focus on how close Picard and Data were, delving into their relationship and of course the obvious overarching story in which Picard attempts to rescue his 'daughters' and then the ending where Picard meets Data in the simulation.

Geordie La Forge was Data's best friend, surely he'd have been the first person Picard would have contacted regarding all of this? Did the writers forget the relationship Geordie and Data had or did they just ignore it? It should have been Geordie by Data's side at the end in my opinion.

I found the show disappointing, it wasn't Star Trek for me. I'd give it a 4/10 as the nostalgia factor of seeing some of the old cast reprise roles was nice, I doubt I'll bother with season two.

Why not? Would you prefer we stick to the age old star trek gimmick of 99.9% of the cast speaking with an American accent for no apparent reason? Why was Narek speaking with an English accent?

Because the British are the baddies of course. Have you not noticed this theme?

To reinforce that he's a villain and not to be trusted ;)

So Picard is also a villain? :eek:

No, he's a big old camp french homosexual.

Where was Geordie in all of this?

There's been a heavy focus on how close Picard and Data were, delving into their relationship and of course the obvious overarching story in which Picard attempts to rescue his 'daughters' and then the ending where Picard meets Data in the simulation.

Geordie La Forge was Data's best friend, surely he'd have been the first person Picard would have contacted regarding all of this? Did the writers forget the relationship Geordie and Data had or did they just ignore it? It should have been Geordie by Data's side at the end in my opinion.

I found the show disappointing, it wasn't Star Trek for me. I'd give it a 4/10 as the nostalgia factor of seeing some of the old cast reprise roles was nice, I doubt I'll bother with season two.

It's like someone watched the films but not the TV show then wrote Picard. They have almost no clue what his character was or should be.

Soldato
The end did feel a bit disjointed, Data knew of his death, but the program was made from a neuron, taken from B4, so before Data died, also, given the golum and the tech, why just leave Data essentially locked up in the simulation?

I must have fallen asleep as well, how did the Romulan sister bird end up on the Borg cube, I thought she was with the fleet.
How did the Romulan guy know where they were going and use the transwarp conduit.
Also, next time Picard/Troi/Riker meet up, Troi will know straight off the bat that Picard is now synthetic, how much of that will change peoples interaction with him..

Back
Top Bottom