Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
I did a bit of investigating, and it's going to cost so much more to get it on Steam than anywhere else! :confused:

What is the Rockstar Launcher like? I could also get it on Epic Launcher for the same price, but I've never used that either...

Epic is my favourite launcher. It seems very realiable and they give away a free game each week. This week is world war z.

I got borderlands 3 and red dead on there and play a lot of both and haven't been disappointed.

Where ever you get the game from it will still run rockstar launcher in the background. The epic launcher handles this perfectly and will sign you in automatically without any issues.

I have never liked using rockstar launcher directly because they use them CAPCHTA things on everything.

Soldato
Epic is my favourite launcher. It seems very realiable and they give away a free game each week. This week is world war z.

I got borderlands 3 and red dead on there and play a lot of both and haven't been disappointed.

Where ever you get the game from it will still run rockstar launcher in the background. The epic launcher handles this perfectly and will sign you in automatically without any issues.

I have never liked using rockstar launcher directly because they use them CAPCHTA things on everything.

That’s interesting, thanks for commenting! I will give the Epic Launcher a try.

On the Humble Store, I can get it for £39.59 for standard or £43.18 for the ultimate edition. Is it worth paying the extra for the Ultimate Edition? I don’t really plan on playing online.

Soldato
I did a bit of investigating, and it's going to cost so much more to get it on Steam than anywhere else! :confused:

What is the Rockstar Launcher like? I could also get it on Epic Launcher for the same price, but I've never used that either...

You have to use R* launcher regardless so I'd just get it there, that way there's way less hassle. I have it on Epic because I got it as a gift but I so wish I didn't. I hate the launcher, it's sluggish and it's another thing to run. Also, disable cloud saves, heard there were some issues with that and I just keep the local copies.

Soldato
Easiest way not to go underweight or doesn't it matter? Only thing that seems bugged so far/badly designed.

I think I was underweight for most of my playthrough, and I didn't notice any real drawbacks. I think your damage resistance is reduced or something? But your stamina consumption is also reduced? I can't remember. I think it says in-game?

The easiest way around it is just to gorge on canned food and meat. It's plentiful in the world and it's not long anyway before you have plenty of money but nothing more to spend it on, so you can keep stocking up at general stores as well.

Soldato
Just installed this again after picking up a new graphics card, are there any do's and don'ts I should know about with the graphics settings? Tree Tesselation I hear needs to be off

If it's crashing and you are on vulken then switch to directX12.

The game runs a lot better than it used to on my gtx 1080. On release the game ran like a pig for me but now most stuff is turned up either max or 1 down from max.
@ 1440p 120hz hdr, gtx 1080 and 9700k and I get 40-60fps.

Normally I hate low framerate but with the slow pace of this game it doesn't matter as much.

There is a youtube video that goes in depth on the settings. I think it was digital foundry.

Soldato
got the pc upgraded before the virus outbreak, how would it run on a 27 inch monitor, 2560 x 1440 res,, 16 gb ddr 4, ryzen 9 3900x and 2080 super gpu, it a big download ?

It would run great, my guess is around 70-100fps maxed out.

Download is about 100gb if I remember correctly.

Soldato
Just installed this again after picking up a new graphics card, are there any do's and don'ts I should know about with the graphics settings? Tree Tesselation I hear needs to be off

There's a couple of big performance hogs you have to be aware of. Tree tessellation you know about. The most important is Water Physics, it should be at the half way mark on the slider. Besides MSAA this is the biggest performance hit and generally the quality of the water physics don't visually improve much, so it's not warranted except for when we'll have too much power years from now. Another big performance hit will be from reflection quality - high is the sweetspot for when it looks good but doesn't cost too much, though I'll often run with even medium. Shadow Quality from Ultra to High can see a substantial performance saving as well. The visual difference isn't big at all but it's more worthwhile to keep when also having lighting on ultra as well (though that means further performance loss). Speaking of lighting quality, I stick with ultra no matter what because it is imo the most distinguishing feature of RDR2 graphics and it looks unbelievable at night, especially in St Denis - be warned, it does cost a lot, around 40% performance in the most taxing scenes. Good thing about it though is that even if you keep it on it doesn't hit performance during day time. Lastly, we come to volumetrics, the tri-fecta (near, far, quality). Here the sweet spot is (in order as they appear in menu): low/medium/high. It's mostly important to keep Volumetric Quality on high as that gives it more volume and it fills the screen better. If you put the other 2 too high then you'll see significant performance drops for not much visual improvement. Also, I'd say about TAA - try medium if you want more sharpness to the image, as High tends to be very soft & for 1440p that might be too much.

Everything else can pretty much go to ultra (except water refraction, it should also be medium). Make sure to test performance with vsync off first, so that you can then tailor your vsync choice based on numbers you know and that aren't hamstrung.

Associate
Thanks Poneros, just what I was looking for.

As for Vsync off I’m using Gsync so have it forced on via NVCP and disabled in game. Triple buffering I have on as it feels smoother (I think)

Soldato
Oh yeah forgot to mention I wouldn't bother with msaa at 1440p the game is plenty smooth enough without it.

Just need the taa on to get rid of the flicker.

Soldato
I tend to also force FXAA via NVCP to give it that extra edge and generally leave AA off in game where possible at 1440

I'd not do that here. The TAA in RDR 2 is pretty much essential in how they made the game, and the other alternatives cannot serve as substitute (and likely not even complements, for example MSAA even though it has a huge performance hit, in this game it's more buggy than compared to in GTA V and doesn't actually deliver even visually). Essentially your only option is to choose between Medium & High TAA. Either more detail & crispness but more obvious TAA ghosting (Medium), or less ghosting but blurrier (High). I prefer medium but I played enough hours with high as well, and it's a good choice also (but a small performance penalty vs medium too; not so important).

Associate
Last night I loaded my wagon with skins from hunting and trundled off to the station to sell.
I arrive park up get the message success and the game crashes telling me its due to a fault on Rockstar servers.
I reload to find my skins are all gone and no money (500) in my bank for them.
Back to camp yup they are gone.
To top it off I had also lost all monies previously earnt that session from bounty hunting.

I recall this happening once before a few weeks back and again it was delivering to a train depot albeit not the same one.
Its not just the monies lost on the night but the time it took to hunt and process that load all lost.
I swore... a lot.

Associate
I'd not do that here. The TAA in RDR 2 is pretty much essential in how they made the game, and the other alternatives cannot serve as substitute (and likely not even complements, for example MSAA even though it has a huge performance hit, in this game it's more buggy than compared to in GTA V and doesn't actually deliver even visually). Essentially your only option is to choose between Medium & High TAA. Either more detail & crispness but more obvious TAA ghosting (Medium), or less ghosting but blurrier (High). I prefer medium but I played enough hours with high as well, and it's a good choice also (but a small performance penalty vs medium too; not so important).

No of course I totally agree TAA is the only way to go with this game, I meant I usually add FXAA via NVCP as additional sorry I should have been clearer. I’ll stick with medium based on your advice thanks again, the game has been running great with your settings

Soldato
No of course I totally agree TAA is the only way to go with this game, I meant I usually add FXAA via NVCP as additional sorry I should have been clearer. I’ll stick with medium based on your advice thanks again, the game has been running great with your settings
Awesome, glad to hear it.

Man of Honour
Finally caved and got this. £35 plus 2.2% cashback.

Hopefully it lasts me long enough until Cyberpunk 2077 as recently finished Metro Exodus so need another solid single player campaign to eat away some time!

Back
Top Bottom