Help me get stable at 3600MHz

Soldato
I thought I'd start a new thread rather than keep posting in the Ryzen thread.

I have the 8 Pack Dark Pro 3200MHz ram.

I recently upgraded to an x570 mobo hoping for more and actually I seem to have regressed on ram stability.

On my x370 Prime Pro I was able to run this ram at 3600MHz with the following timings and settings:

RAM SPEED: 3600MHz
TIMINGS: 16 16 16 16 36
DRAM: 1.35v
SOC: 1.1v
VDDG: 1.0v
FCLK: 1800
PBO: on

These settings I played Odyssey alone for 165hrs and RDR2 over the course of about 4 months. So they where rock stable.

However I can not get stability on my x570 board.

The same settings above dont work.

I've tried 1.4v dram, I've tried 1.1v VDDG, I tried 1.2v SOC (the pc didnt like this at all, CTD after a bout 20mins)

Currently I am using the timings from the dram calculator but after about 3hrs of gaming in the Division 2 I got a freeze and CTD, This happens daily at present.

Dram Calc timings:

I put all the timings and volts found here (recommended values)

2.jpg

As the Division is the only game I have on the PC atm, I have switched from DX12 to DX11 in case it is not the PC. But I think that's a long shot.

---

Just to note, I ran typhoon burner and imported my timings.

The only part I didn't set from the Dram Calc was the LLC settings found here:

1.jpg

Stability wise over the last few days of playing around with this I did pass 4hrs of memtestx86. However this doesn't seem to have verified stability at all as I still CTD in game after a few hours.

---

I suppose my next step is to try the max voltages it suggests.

---

I'd be happy at this point just to get a standard 3600MHz at the sock timings: 16 16 16 16 36.

At the moment this seems impossible.

---

This will be the third generation of Ryzen where the Dram calculator just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
A couple of things to try,

Disable power down mode.

Try playing with procODT in notches up to 53.3

Increase TRCRD to 17

Did you try all the cad bus alt settings?

Take and post a ryzen master SS showing all the memory timings and voltages.

Associate
I would put the Dram to 1.4 which it can easily handle.
And try the Alt1 cad bus settings which are what I use.
You really should not need to select the safe values tbh with that memory.

Associate
kPLzwEl.png
This is what i used for my 8 pack ram, only difference left Power down and Gear down enabled, ProcODT 34.3 and DRAM voltage 1.5v ( extra cooler blowing down on ram sticks), btw running this settings at 3600 mt.

Soldato
OP
A couple of things to try,

Disable power down mode.

Try playing with procODT in notches up to 53.3

Increase TRCRD to 17

Did you try all the cad bus alt settings?

Take and post a ryzen master SS showing all the memory timings and voltages.

I haven't installed Ryzen Master as I read on here it can leave behind hooks in to the BIOS which only a windows format will remove. If this is untrue I'll install it.

As for the values of VDDG and the CLDO VDDP do I even need to fiddle with those? I get the impression a lot of people just leave them on auto.

I will try playing with ProcODT tonight.

Corsair reckon the ideal value is between 40 and 60. (But those values where the Ryzen 2000 series values. I'm sure for the 3000 series those values are now lower)

Your notice in that (basic) guide that there is no mention of changing the VDDG voltage.

All I need to know is if you stripped everything down and left as much on auto as possible, what are the absolutely necessary voltages I need to manually tune to get stable?

Associate
Bite the bullet and enter everything generated on the main page.
When i first started fiddling i thought I would enter the main stuff and never bothered with the termination block or cad bus settings.
I never could get it 100% stable until I entered those values.

When it locks up in games does it coincide with a change of sound ie a gun shot or explosion or any sound change?
I have said this before but my final intermittent lockups while gaming were because my onboard MB sound was enabled and also the Digital sound on my Nvidia 1080 was enabled. I note you also have a 1080.
Since i disabled the MB onboard and just use the Nvidia digital sound no more gaming lockups.

I should really try disabling the Nvidia and try the onboard again but its working so I dont want to fiddle any more atm.

I have ryzen master installed but other than adjusting max voltage settings i have and will never use it to alter memory related timings. I do all that in the bios and always will.

I used to alter vddg volts but since entering all the cad bus and termination settings I no longer need to.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can just use ryzen master purely as a monitoring software, it's handy when overclocking ram as it shows all the settings and timings so helps highlight if you missed a something when inputing the dram calc settings in the bios.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bite the bullet and enter everything generated on the main page.
When i first started fiddling i thought I would enter the main stuff and never bothered with the termination block or cad bus settings.
I never could get it 100% stable until I entered those values.

When it locks up in games does it coincide with a change of sound ie a gun shot or explosion or any sound change?
I have said this before but my final intermittent lockups while gaming were because my onboard MB sound was enabled and also the Digital sound on my Nvidia 1080 was enabled. I note you also have a 1080.
Since i disabled the MB onboard and just use the Nvidia digital sound no more gaming lockups.

I should really try disabling the Nvidia and try the onboard again but its working so I dont want to fiddle any more atm.

I have ryzen master installed but other than adjusting max voltage settings i have and will never use it to alter memory related timings. I do all that in the bios and always will.

I used to alter vddg volts but since entering all the cad bus and termination settings I no longer need to.

It's mostly freezes when you open up your inventory to scroll through your loot

Ryzen and ram... is such a painful experience. :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed odd behaviour on my Gigabyte X570 Master when it came to fast RAM. VDDG should not be set too high, 0.950V for both VDDG voltages and 0.900V for VDDP were rock solid stable at 3600MHz, any higher would make the PC very unstable and I found these voltages key to achieving stability at this speed.

Soldato
OP
I noticed odd behaviour on my Gigabyte X570 Master when it came to fast RAM. VDDG should not be set too high, 0.950V for both VDDG voltages and 0.900V for VDDP were rock solid stable at 3600MHz, any higher would make the PC very unstable and I found these voltages key to achieving stability at this speed.

I think you where right on this.

I put the primary and secondary timings in to the BIOS from the dram calc and just set the dram voltage and the ram is stable at the safe timings.

However I tried the fast timings at 1.45v dram and it was erroring during HCI memtest.

The instability I was originally seeing anyway was actually the Division 2 being unstable in DX12. Having switched to DX11 it has stopped CTD.

Soldato
I think you where right on this.

I put the primary and secondary timings in to the BIOS from the dram calc and just set the dram voltage and the ram is stable at the safe timings.

However I tried the fast timings at 1.45v dram and it was erroring during HCI memtest.

The instability I was originally seeing anyway was actually the Division 2 being unstable in DX12. Having switched to DX11 it has stopped CTD.
Good to know, I would be pretty upset if I bought a new motherboard and couldn't get the same RAM speed out of it as my old one. I'm glad it's now stable.

Soldato
Any screenies of the bios for this. I struggle to see both in bios or hwinfo. Can't recall which one I see though.

I have 8pack 3600 cl16 and all I can to is run with slightly tighter secondaries.

Soldato
OP
Just a dumb question... The speed in the calculator... Is that the speed of the ram of the max my motherboard can handle? As my board handles 3466 and my ram is, up to 3600mhz

You set the ram speed in the calculator to what you want to achieve.

And it's not what your mobo can handle. It's what FCLK you're CPU and RAM can handle.

Soldato
OP
A

Ah OK. So even though my msi b450i gaming plus ac says 3466mhz (OC) on the box, it'll go more than that? I'll have a tinker now

Ignore that.

The two variables are what your maximum stable FCLK is on your CPU and then can you run your ram at that speed.

2 x FCLK is what you run your ram at. But that doesn't mean it''ll be stable. You need to test it.

Back
Top Bottom