PC Game Pass (was Xbox Game Pass for PC)

Soldato
Ori 2 is now live on Game Pass UK. 15.08GB download so hopefully by the time its finished MS will allow it to be playable as they usually put XGP games up slightly early ;)

Soldato
Ori 2 is live & playable! More of the same as Ori 1 (a little too samey for my liking but its still a charming game!) but its part of XGP so the cost is minimal :D

Caporegime
Working from home today so tried to play ori and the will of the wisps quickly

A) You can't change which monitor it is displayed on and it seems tied to whatever resolution you've set in Windows.

B) It was running really badly. My LG C9 is a 4k screen which is currently set to 1440p/120hz. I'll try changing it to 4k/60hz and see if that fixes it.

Soldato
Just quickly tried it - you can change the resolution in the settings menu.

Runs absolutely fine here at 1440p.

M.

P.S. It's also such a great game - it's very similar to the original (which is no bad thing) but the way it's presented and the little touches make it stand out.

Caporegime
Just quickly tried it - you can change the resolution in the settings menu

What I meant is, that my TV's native resolution is 3840x2160 but I had it set in Windows at 2560x1440 @ 120hz

I could select 3840x2160 in the game graphics menu but it wouldn't actually let me change it and was stuck at 1440p

Soldato
Saw a trailer for ori and the will of the wisps, looked great so downloaded first one which I'm enjoying in the brief time I got to play it today

Soldato
Let us know if there are some controller-out-the-window bits like the water tree in Ori 1, please. I can't be stressing myself out like that again.
Yes it has lots of parts like that sadly! Its also way too similar to the first game & as that is 5 years old seems a little dated now. Its still a very charming game but little progression technically as stuck on the Unity 3D game engine & appears to be using almost the exact same gfx as the first game.

8.29GB Patch just out as well the entire game is only 15.08GB that is some patch!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Let us know if there are some controller-out-the-window bits like the water tree in Ori 1, please. I can't be stressing myself out like that again.

Hah, I know the feeling. I really liked the first one, but found it frustrating as hell at times! I'm sure I'll play it anyway.

Soldato
The Game Pass app really is a pile of crap.

I got a new hard drive yesterday, so I thought I'd download a bunch of new games. So I queued up a bunch last night and left the PC on. The Game Pass app showed the downloads as complete. But some of the games won't run. Took me some time to work out why...

They haven't finished downloading. Game Pass thinks they have, but the Windows Store disagrees.

Associate
I'm thinking of giving this a try guys. I'm seeing it's currently a £1 to subscribe, are there any catchs to this like you having to be subscribed for a certain amount of time?

How much is it normally a month? Is it any good?

Soldato
Gah, so I'm having some trouble with the damned MS file system for games from Game Pass.

I unpgraded my son's PC and thought to just reinstall Windows on his OS SSD and then try to point the game clients to all his installed games on his other drives.

This worked fine for Steam, Origin and R*, but I couldn't find a way to make it work for MS games (Sea of Thieves, Forza, a couple more I forget). One upshot of this is that there are now these semi-hidden and protected folders on his game drives taking up space that I can't delete. :mad:

I've tried taking ownership and changing the permissions of these, but I still can't delete them. The only steps I've found when Googling this problem are ones I've already tried. I now just get messages that I need permission from myself to delete them, but no way to provide this.

This is maddening. He's losing almost 200GB across two drives to these damn folders.

I know now I should have uninstalled them before reinstalling Windows, but this really shouldn't be necessary. A truly horrible system. Any ideas of other things I could try short of reformating the drives and reinstalling the games (which would take a while for 500GB+ of game files...)?

Soldato
Gah, so I'm having some trouble with the damned MS file system for games from Game Pass.

I unpgraded my son's PC and thought to just reinstall Windows on his OS SSD and then try to point the game clients to all his installed games on his other drives.

This worked fine for Steam, Origin and R*, but I couldn't find a way to make it work for MS games (Sea of Thieves, Forza, a couple more I forget). One upshot of this is that there are now these semi-hidden and protected folders on his game drives taking up space that I can't delete. :mad:

I've tried taking ownership and changing the permissions of these, but I still can't delete them. The only steps I've found when Googling this problem are ones I've already tried. I now just get messages that I need permission from myself to delete them, but no way to provide this.

This is maddening. He's losing almost 200GB across two drives to these damn folders.

I know now I should have uninstalled them before reinstalling Windows, but this really shouldn't be necessary. A truly horrible system. Any ideas of other things I could try short of reformating the drives and reinstalling the games (which would take a while for 500GB+ of game files...)?
Its encrypted using AES 256 bits I think is why no easy copy n paste but you can move it anywhere within drives once your OS is working & you have downloaded once. Just no system to move it BEFORE you reinstall on another OS drive right now! You could try saving your files then reinstall & copy back into the new folder structure the Gamepass App makes but even getting basic access to the folder takes a lot of effort. MS rely heavily on AES 256 bit for their DRM.

Soldato
Its encrypted using AES 256 bits I think is why no easy copy n paste but you can move it anywhere within drives once your OS is working & you have downloaded once. Just no system to move it BEFORE you reinstall on another OS drive right now! You could try saving your files then reinstall & copy back into the new folder structure the Gamepass App makes but even getting basic access to the folder takes a lot of effort. MS rely heavily on AES 256 bit for their DRM.

Thanks for the ideas. One of the problems is that I have no idea which games are in which folder, so I don't even know what to copy to where. I downloaded the game he most wanted to the spare space on his C: drive, but now I need to reclaim this lost space before there's room for the rest.

This is really putting me off MS Store games as a whole, never mind just the Game Pass. I know this has been raised many times and directly to MS support in many cases, so I don't think there's any prospect of it changing.

The only option I can think of now is making a bootable Linux USB drive and deleting from there.

Back
Top Bottom