What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 7½ / 10

I've never watched a cartoon Superhero movie (I don't think) but this is 8.4/10 on IMDb so I figured it must be pretty good. I was really enjoying it until it actually went to more like a comic book movie in the last 30 minutes or so. Up to then I was loving the animation style, the music was great, the story was simple but sufficient. I would still recommend it, but feel it let itself down a little nearer the end.

I also think it's a little weird his uncle is supposed to be a good guy, but was about to murder some kid, until he realised it was a relative.

Soldato
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 7½ / 10

I've never watched a cartoon Superhero movie (I don't think) but this is 8.4/10 on IMDb so I figured it must be pretty good. I was really enjoying it until it actually went to more like a comic book movie in the last 30 minutes or so. Up to then I was loving the animation style, the music was great, the story was simple but sufficient. I would still recommend it, but feel it let itself down a little nearer the end.

I also think it's a little weird his uncle is supposed to be a good guy, but was about to murder some kid, until he realised it was a relative.

His Uncle is a bad guy.

I've seen this movie probably 10 times because my kids love it. I think it's excellent.

Soldato
No, I get that. He's a 'baddie'... I probably can't put my point over... as I don't entirely get it myself :p It just felt like we're supposed to have had some sympathy

He's clearly a bad guy and would have no issue killing other good guys but he loved Mile's and would have done anything for him (including taking a bullet) so we're supposed to have mixed feelings I guess. :)

Associate
I watched The Irishman yesterday. Great cast which did a great work. Must say that I think the whole de-ageing thing was quite dodgy most of the time. The movie was pretty long and did move fairly slow but it will still an pretty enjoyable one, probably score it 7/10.

Soldato
I watched The Irishman yesterday. Great cast which did a great work. Must say that I think the whole de-ageing thing was quite dodgy most of the time. The movie was pretty long and did move fairly slow but it will still an pretty enjoyable one, probably score it 7/10.

I enjoyed it, but it was very obvious that while they made De Niro look 40 years old, he still moved like an old man, especially in the scene with the grocery store owner.

Soldato
Couple over the weekend.

Secret Life of Pets 2 - 6/10
Entertaining enough but no where near as good as the first one.

The Andromeda Strain - 8/10
Seen this film so many times, & one of my favorites. Fits in well with whats happening atm

Soldato
@easyrider - are we going to be forced to have this conversation yet again? People are free to award whatever score they like, it's not for YOU to be a judge over whether someone else enjoys a film or not. IIRC last time we went through this same stuff the Mods had to tell you to knock it off, are they going to be forced to do the same again?

Criticize the film all you want but leave out the "How dare you like that film" stuff!

Soldato
@easyrider - are we going to be forced to have this conversation yet again? People are free to award whatever score they like, it's not for YOU to be a judge over whether someone else enjoys a film or not. IIRC last time we went through this same stuff the Mods had to tell you to knock it off, are they going to be forced to do the same again?

Criticize the film all you want but leave out the "How dare you like that film" stuff!

Exactly, the guy is a right ****.

Caporegime
Harley Quinn - 2/10

Absolute garbage film. Appalling acting. One of the worst films I’ve watched in a very long time!

Can't quite decide if you're being generous or not. Perez was god awful. The early scene where she is chasing Quinn, it visibly and obviously looked like Margo was running when on camera while Perez was struggling to walk fast, that meant very early in the film she looked old and useless, it was a very bad start and it just got worse and worse. Actually the 'investigation' scene was before it, more terrible writing. WE're telling you this character is super competent but we're showing you that she's plucking answers out of thin air she can't possibly know, which actually immediately makes me think she's just a badly written character. Just show her doing her job actually well, not impossibly well.

There is this thing where you have female empowerment films but they have almost every woman in them be completely and utterly incompetent. There were at least a couple scenes where Harley looked like she actually hurt people(though having a bat helped) but so many punches, kicks and shall we call them take downs where clearly there was zero power/strength shown and it looked terrible. I do give Margo credit because out of the 4 women she's the only one that seemed to manage to portray any power at all. Perez was utterly dreadful in both acting and action. The other two were poor both acting and action, Margo was in a different class but the writing so poor for Harley that it didn't really work.

Tomb Raider was dire for this as well, they picked the skinniest shortest actress around, she got muscle definition by being ultra skinny, not super strong. The whole film looked like 14yr old girl fighting with battle hardened 6ft 220lbs mercs and was utterly laughable. Jolie had some weight and height to her and was vastly more believable, the films still basically sucked but at least it didn't look like a child running around in an action movie fighting full grown adults.

I have to say, the creepy dude who was played by the guy in The Newsroom was really damn good. I didn't recognise it was the same guy for ages and he played creepy really well.

Caporegime
Infinity War and Endgame, Avengers and Age of Ultron the night before.

Never managed to get all the way through Age of Ultron without falling asleep, watched in on Thursday evening and fell asleep again so re-watched it on Saturday and was not impressed. Weakest of the 4 for me.

Expected to love Endgame but didn't like the time travel plot, the amount of characters nor what they did to the Hulk and Thor. Seemed more like a comedy in places although the ending was epic.

Avengers - 9/10
Age of Ultron - 5/10
Infinity War - 8/10
Endgame - 6/10

Caporegime
Not exactly what he means though ;)

People seem to score films either a 1/10 or a 10/10 with no real scaling. The truth is that most films are smack bang in the middle unless they have something special about them.

Agreed...very rarely does a film earn a 8/10 spot IMO...especially films churned out willy nilly...;)

A call of the wild...wasn’t expecting much...but strangely I connected with a cgi dog :p

Big dog fan so I’m probably a tad bias...but I enjoyed it...6.75/10 :p

Back
Top Bottom