What's going to happen to the car market?

Soldato
Pretty scary at to what the future holds to be honest. I’m just hoping China sales start to pick up to hold the ground until rest of world recovers. Most of course will be inventory sales rather than new order builds.

My car (Discovery Sport) collection has been delayed which was a shame as I timed it well for pretty much on the 20plate.

Soldato
There won’t be the same demand levels due to people having been made redundant.
A very valid point which I overlooked.

If the disruption is long enough do you think we'll see some manufacturers use it as a catalyst for scrapping low volume models so they can focus on EVs when production does get back underway? We are pretty spoilt at the moment with the sheer variety of similar models we can choose from and it would allow manufacturers to get volume going through if they slimmed down their offering to key models in limited configurations.

OcUK Staff
I am looking for a new toy, hoping for a bargain...

Give it another 3-6 weeks and some people will be selling stuff cheap for sure both private and at businesses that either need cash or cash flow.

Some people right now will still be thinking this will all blow over in a couple of weeks but fact is whilst governments try to stop spread and safe lives we shall be in lock down for more weeks to come and likely months and maybe even stricter measures put in place.

Soldato
Give it another 3-6 weeks and some people will be selling stuff cheap for sure both private and at businesses that either need cash or cash flow.

Some people right now will still be thinking this will all blow over in a couple of weeks but fact is whilst governments try to stop spread and safe lives we shall be in lock down for more weeks to come and likely months and maybe even stricter measures put in place.
100% i really am not sure what to buy could be anything really. I nearly bought your old mustang a few weeks ago :) hes only up the road, I keep saying my next car will be a Lambo but I doubt i will have the guts to buy such a toy at the moment.

OcUK Staff
100% i really am not sure what to buy could be anything really. I nearly bought your old mustang a few weeks ago :) hes only up the road, I keep saying my next car will be a Lambo but I doubt i will have the guts to buy such a toy at the moment.

Well before this kicked off Huracans were really starting to fall so might see a not too high miles (30k) Huracan go for around 100k.

Or as McLaren we’re in free fall maybe we will see some 570S around 70k mark or something like an Alfa Quadrofolio for around 40k

Soldato
Might we see Aston Martin unfortunately go bankrupt?

My guess is now that car values across the new and used market will decrease. Uncertainty is high for individuals and companies alike and the only thing that can be expected from uncertainty, is a reduction in the price level. We've seen companies cut supply but I do still think think reduction in demand will have a greater influence on the price level.

No, Mercedes would bail them out

I had my budget set on a 2020/21 M5. Looks like I can massively reduce that budget now

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone started seeing reductions on cars for us mere mortals yet?

It’s too early for anything but auctions and SOR cars to be affected, imo. The market is just stagnant atm, but when things start coming back online the new supply/demand balance will kick in and things will probably start to fall.

Associate
Ever since building a Westfield for a mate a couple years ago it's got me missing my old MX5 2 seater... Much as I like driving the Westfield, I honestly feel that a MX5 (or equivalent) is about 8/10th the fun, but 100x more practical. So, at the start of the year I was looking at MX5s, GT86s and then moved towards Elise... What started as a cheapish S2, soon started to lean towards an early S3 SC...

Now, as of Wed, I'm on furlough at less that 80%. how plans change...

But, I can see such "weekend toy" cars will drop in demand/price through the year, especially if this continues for a while and we're unable to go outside for a drive, all while people's savings dwindle paying off their other financial demands... Depending whether this virus/lock-in lifts at the tail end of summer then I could imagine the prices staying lower for a while, and thus I could possibly get a bargain...

Associate
I didn't look into it that much, just window shopping as to what I could entertain the idea of during the year...

I think it was the juvenile "more power" voice. I don't really like the S1's blobby styling, so I was originally looking at S2 111r, as I couldn't find any 135r, which then moved to S2 SC and the thought of as few miles as possible made me think of the newer model.

I workmate has recently repaired a crash-damaged S2 (needed new front crash-box, front clam and a light, i think). Did all the work himself and it now looks pretty tidy. He thinks he's spent about 14k and an equivalent uncrashed would be about 19-20. so, I could go down that route... But, I just like the thought of keeping as much value in it as possible, by not getting a cat-n...

anyway... will have to look at the market and work out finances, options etc when/if we get through these troublesome times...

Soldato
135r and the other special edition models are pretty sought after and are worth loads now. All of them are quick through and you can't get close to using all of the performance on the road. It's dangerous to even try as they aren't forgiving :p

Associate
I am hoping to buy an E92 M3 at some point. I wonder if the prices of these will be affected much. I think it's probably going to be another couple of months until the scale of the damage this virus has wrought is truly apparent.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I hope the bottom falls out of the sodding barn find market. They money idiots are paying for old cars is mad. Yet another 3 door Sierra cossie fetched 70k the other day.

I also selfishly hope that that older car market picks up I’ve been trying shift my folks E280 est (2006) for a few months now, any my own 2012 C class, and I’ve hardly had a sniff.

Let’s face it, it will all be back to normal in 2 years time, the western world needs the system that we have today.

Back
Top Bottom