[HELP] I Bought my Brother a Gaming PC but it's not performing right?

Associate
OP
If you lucky its the PSU, and swapping that out could fix it, but at least it seems to be working ok for now which is the main priority.
Ah I see, I did wonder that after reading the posts in that link you posted. It actually seems to be performing about the same as my system in BFV if I lower my res to 2560x1440 to match his res even though it's been down clocked by 100MHz. Surprising considering my GPU is an EVGA SC2 Hybrid and his is a Zotac founders style, mine is definitely mich quieter though.

So there may not even be much to be gained by fixing the problem with a PSU/GPU swap.

Associate
OP
Update: 4hs solid gaming today with no issue but then out of nowhere, back to 53fps (GPU usage stayed at 99% though which was weird). For the next hour without a reboot it just kept randomly going from 90-100 FPS for a few minutes then back to 53 FPS for a few minutes and continued switching between the two.

Next step I'm going to do is either try my GPU in it for a few hours or source another one and try that. If that doesn't make a difference then I'll have to swap the PSU out. Nightmare.

Associate
Have you reinstalled windows at all. A friend of mine was getting stutters in all games. would be running fine then fps would drop and gpu would stay at 99% during these drops. After we went through every solution we found a simple windows repair worked although a sfc scan helped repair some error clearly not all. You could try opening CMD (right click run as admin) and type sfc /scannow and see if it finds errors and alao run check disk before you repair windows.

Associate
OP
Have you reinstalled windows at all. A friend of mine was getting stutters in all games. would be running fine then fps would drop and gpu would stay at 99% during these drops. After we went through every solution we found a simple windows repair worked although a sfc scan helped repair some error clearly not all. You could try opening CMD (right click run as admin) and type sfc /scannow and see if it finds errors and alao run check disk before you repair windows.

Haven't reinstalled Windows no, SFC scan is probably worth a shout actually.

Associate
Did you check the gsync settings on nvidia control panel or the monitors on screen display see if anything is activated on that for freesync? you could try swapping monitors with him for a bit and or gpu. Best method to find the issue is process of elimination.

Associate
OP
He has Freesync on anyway (V-sync off) and gets good performance, I didn't check Gysnc/Freesync settings after performance tanked no as it never occurred to me that those settings might change on their own.

I'm going to swap GPUs first and see what happens :)

Associate
OP
This really sounds like the first issue I mentioned.

What might stabilise it is underclocking the GPU. Also reducing the power limit as well.

To explain the problem again (it is not well known about).

1080ti's (and possibly other gpu's in same generation) can turn off some of their cores.
The clear symptom of this is a maxed out utilisation of 60%.
When this happens it can only be reverted by a reboot.
As it is undocumented, no one knows the exact reasons for it happening, but it appears to be a behaviour designed to avoid crashes, so its more desirable for a system to slow down, than to crash. Which indicates the gpu is not in a fully stable configuration, so could be the chip itself cannot handle the clocks, it could be power draw issues.

Maybe swap PC's, if you not willing to do that, get afterburner on his pc, reduce clocks by at least 100mhz, and power utilisation cap by at least 5%.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1722918-weird-power-limit-forced-cap-issue-1080ti.html

Well it looks like you were right (hopefully), I bought a used EVGA 1080ti Black Edition and put that in my Brothers PC about a week ago and so far (touch wood) he's not experienced the same problem yet and I believe he did about 6hrs gaming yesterday. So thank you very much for suggesting it originally as I'd never have figured that out as like you say there is extremely little info about it anywhere and it was a seemingly random occurrence that couldn't be nailed down by any type of monitoring that I could think of.

Associate
Hey! I had a super similar issue to this and it was caused by using the wrong 6+2 pin pcie cable!

I had two on the same wire on my 1070ti and using one of them capped performance at 60% for some reason

the other worked absolutely fine

I know this thread is old(ish) but I made an account to say this as no one else seemed to have mentioned it

Back
Top Bottom