Road Cycling

Caporegime
The concern is we push the boat out on a ride and we need 999 emergency services to rescue us and then take us to hospital, removing staff from helping those critically sick with COVID-19.

Exactly, if you can't get home and you have to phone a taxi or get on public transport you increase the chances of spreading.

Sorry if I come across as trolling, but your just a good example. Two incidents within one week, just shows how easy it is for this to spread.

People say it never happens, but I mean just look above.

Thanks for the opinions guys, my mind changes daily on this. Been going for some brisk 30-35 milers, mainly flat. Was going to go out to do some hills around the 50 miles mark but doubt settled in so went for a 2 hour walk instead. :rolleyes:

Seems like there isn’t a correct answer, I’ll just keep deciding on the days seems the most sensible for me.

Thanks again for the advice in these strange times :)

I agree, I'm mainly on the trainer. But no doubt I'll be out at somepoint, depending on how long we've been asked to stay in.

Yeah, for sure. But he was clearly talking specifically about my post where my Osmo Action (I don't have a GoPro) broke spokes on my wheel. No-one else was involved in any way. I rode home.

I know you can't see this, but it was purely an example on how easy it is for things to go wrong and then further potentially put people at risk. I don't mean to use you as an example, it's just easy to do so when its there for everyones viewing.

Soldato
I've had far more incidents within 10km of home than I have on the roads I spend most of my time. I hope we don't end up being limited to 2km near home like Ireland.

Soldato
I've had far more incidents within 10km of home than I have on the roads I spend most of my time. I hope we don't end up being limited to 2km near home like Ireland.

Same here, the worst that's happened to me in the South Downs is three punctures in almost three years. Under normal circumstances, there are so many twonks driving on the road around here, pretending they are ~30 miles north on the Thruxton race circuit!

Soldato
There’s a bit of common sense involved here too though. For the general public a 3 hour bike ride sounds extravagant and is the sort of thing they’d expect to be sponsored to do, whereas for some people it’s something they do at least weekly. Just ride responsibly and within your limits.

Soldato
I've been sticking to Zwift/TrainerRoad for cycling, then going for a short 10-15 minute walk each evening with my wife. For me, it's just not worth the risk, even if that risk is low. I have moderately bad asthma so if I catch this I'm probably ******.

Soldato
There’s a bit of common sense involved here too though. For the general public a 3 hour bike ride sounds extravagant and is the sort of thing they’d expect to be sponsored to do, whereas for some people it’s something they do at least weekly. Just ride responsibly and within your limits.
This.

Caporegime

Absolutely agreed.

Soldato
I'm still riding outside and will until anything changes. I've decided stick to roads a little closer to home though.

Made use of the quiet roads this morning by riding on some of the main roads around the city center that I would usually avoid. Made a nice change.

Soldato
Didn't really plan my route very well today and had to pop on the a3 for a bit, a road I usually tt on only as its pretty horrific. I was on it for about 2 miles and passed by 2 cars! It was glorious. As above bit of common sense don't head too far out and make sure you're self sufficient to get home!

Soldato
Cold & very windy today, back to bibs tights.

Felt tired, I had a hard ride Thursday so paying for it a bit still perhaps.

Didn’t really go much more than 10 miles from home and looped around a lot on local roads. Took an extra tube and co2. Not had a flat for over a year, but Sod’s law id get two in one ride.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cold & very windy today, back to bibs tights.

Felt tired, I had a hard ride Thursday so paying for it a bit still perhaps.

Didn’t really go much more than 10 miles from home and looped around a lot on local roads. Took an extra tube and co2. Not had a flat for over a year, but Sod’s law id get two in one ride.

Yeah it was freezing today and that wind was strong! Cut my ride a bit shorter than planned as just couldn't be bothered to plug into a headwind. Drivers still so angry despite there being no cars about, didn't matter whether I was riding normally or when I was social distancing by moving my way to the centre of the road to give pedestrians the requisite distance from me, although this did seem to enrage a number of people, but despite that the quiet roads are pretty glorious right now.

Soldato
I see you've all been nicely busy in here while I've been hard at work with barely any time to ride... I hope that means many of you are WFH/off work and got some sensible riding in while you still could! :cool: :D

Although I hate you all as I missed that sunshine!

But important things first... @xdcx congratulations on your second spawn! Totally missed it on farcebook until a few days afterwards and had meant to send you a message but I'm a lazy swine and I'm doing it here... :D

No, it comes with a cassette.

So if I could keep it on without too much of an issue I'd keep it on. If not I'd buy another at the same time. The price difference and reviews are simlar so it would just make a deciding factor was all.
Surely buying a chain to swap at the same time as you swap bike to trainer is far cheaper option... Else why buy a trainer with an included cassette if it just means buying another? Just buy a trainer without a cassette... Yes I know swapping a chain is hassle, but just how often are you going to be swapping will answer that. Also if budget is of no concern then get a better trainer. Have heard very little about the Elite's... As nobody seems to be riding them.

I can see your point as the Zumo + cassette is pretty much the same price as the Suito. Even with the cost of a new cassette the Suito would only be £600, still cheaper than a Kicker Core. I’ve not heard good things about the Tacx Flux S.

I’ve gone for the Suito as it looks super compact. My house is tiny so that was a big factor for me. Free cassette is just a bonus!
This. Would be good to hear how you find it (and what you're comparing it to). At this stage a Flux S is probably a safer option than a Zumo/Suito. Far more people riding them without problems, Tacx have huge market penetration and all problems with the Flux v1 are long resolved (which I'm riding and never had real issues with).

Turbo trainers are the christian rock of cycling.

They dont make being indoors better, they just make cycling worse.
But we're still 'riding'. ;) :p

I was having a lovely ride into town, then had a disaster on Bishops Avenue (how is the most expensive street in the UK, the one with the worse road surface?!) with something hitting my spokes and ripping 3 or 4 of them out! I assume this is just a 'replace the wheel' scenario? :(

ncco7SDh.jpg

MZGWxhDh.jpg

I can only see them being sold in pairs, which is going to be expensive. I've mailed Canyon for a quote on just the front wheel. We'll see what they say. Looks like I need to put the good wheels back on the felt for now!
Ouch, you did well not to come down or the wheel to buckle with that kinda damage, even more impressive it held for you to ride home! :o

Yesh, rim and spokes are trashed. Hub is fine, rotor is fine. Save the rotor, flog the hub, bin the rim.

Nothing! @Roady my comment was aimed at you!!!! :D Sorry Jonny misread after a long day travelling home yesterday.
Haha WTF! A group of 6 riders on real backroads only the day after the boris announcement. But knowing what we know now several days/a week afterwards then I probably would've been more cautious. Have seen far more big group rides still going on and someone said a Sportive in North Wales/Chester direction still took place with hundreds of riders there?! :(

Set of pushing quite hard on and off to check the freehub body and the chain ring dropped the chain. Saddle into my arse and a cut on my leg. Good Times. :D
Ouch! My LBS have a couple of wheel-on old resistance type turbos at the side of their workshop for this job. Have seen them put bikes on there even without shifting problems just to check indexing under 'load', even new builds.

Glorious bike buddy, but it still has that R**a badge on it lol ;)

Hollowgram looks good on that larger frame and a 52/53. On a 50 and smaller frames I don't like how it looks... Looks too 'old'.

Yeah, I usually basically skip over them. I saw this one very late and although I skipped, clearly not in time for the front wheel.
Try to avoid them more by planning ahead rather than skipping/hopping as it's easy to misjudge as you're finding. The state of the roads around much of the UK just avoid whatever you can by looking/scouting ahead regularly, the skips and hops are really for the unavoidable.

I'm riding 32's and tubeless due to the state of the roads, but that's still not to risk catching a pot hole edge I don't need to.

Glad you've learnt the hard way how punctures can really ruin a couple of rides. I've not had one for 1.5 years but I've been on rides in that time with friends who've had 3. When the 'P' fairy comes she regularly brings her mates! ;)

So what’s the general consensus on cycling ? People not bothering to take the risk and sticking to turbo ? Or just doing the usual routes? Last few weeks,I’ve carried on regardless but now I’m thinking crashing hospital doesn’t sound too appealing at the moment. Break down having to ask someone to pick you up doesn’t seem fair either. I’m confused :confused:
I did a local loop on saturday. It was freezing cold and windy, stuck to around the 1 hour 'allowed' and kept it (mostly) easy. Only pressing on when safe to do so - flat/straight roads and climbs. Utterly devastated I missed all the fantastic weather last week that everyone seemed to get to ride in while I was working 150% from home (working full time while looking after a toddler for 3 days of it, is more than 'full time'!). :rolleyes:

Tricky thing would be the colour, the purple on them looks lighter but maybe the BLING factor overrides that as you've got black paintwork between the purples so could proably carry it off...

Soldato
Might be a bit of an indulgence at the moment then @Roady.

The black ones are about £40inc postage vs £55 for the oil slick ones.

My car is currently in bits needing a clutch kit so should probabaly sort that out first :D.

Edit : ordered 3 elite race plus cages in black for £26. :o

I'm riding solo at the moment but a few of us are challenging each other on a segment, my mate made this one.

Https://strava.app.link/05nCmcYyh5

I'm first this year so I get to make the next one.

Managed to still do a PR up the climb after smashing the 10 miles up to it. Same mate did 360w for 10.09 and I did 9.01 and we're practically the same weight.

The KOM for it is from the Anderside classic road race that attracts the best in Britain so never getting that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Home insurance or dedicated bike insurance? Who are people using?

I tried pedal cover but they were insistent on calling me repeatedly and couldn’t put things in an email, I wanted all the details for comparisons sake and to have an email chain of amendments etc, not 10 questions and a number spat out.

Not sure why but if that’s difficult, when I am trying to try and give them money then I don’t want to make a claim.

Soldato
Home insurance or dedicated bike insurance? Who are people using?

I tried pedal cover but they were insistent on calling me repeatedly and couldn’t put things in an email, I wanted all the details for comparisons sake and to have an email chain of amendments etc, not 10 questions and a number spat out.

Not sure why but if that’s difficult, when I am trying to try and give them money then I don’t want to make a claim.

I've got a policy with Barclays with is bikes only (though sold as buildings + contents, just don't select those bits). That's £4.29/month (going up to £4.85 next month) - from memory it covers all bikes up to a maximum of £2500 per bike. Best bike is covered with Velosure. £4500 of cover is £277/year.

Back
Top Bottom