Multiroom AV receiver?

Associate
As the Yamaha RX-v450 is oit of production, I cannot find any equivalents out there with the same features ... front left/right and rear left/right with A/B zones. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Speaker and a and b are less common on avr nowadays, look for one with powered zone 2 speaker outputs.

Also you should not drive a and b at the same time, should be a or b.

Thanks. Apparently the Yamaha RX-A3070 has 3 multiroom out, which can be driven at the same time in "party" mode?

Soldato
That is a pretty top end amp do you need anything that posh?

Yes it has zone two and three so able to drive main front pair and in two other rooms.

Don't use it to drive those speakers in the same room as it'll sound crap.

You don't use party mode, zones are identical signal to left and right, so it'll be three rooms in stereo, same signal. I'm not sure if you can listen to three separate sources on each one probably not.

If you want six speakers in same room connect to side and rears and use Dolby Pro logic IIx music mode or similar

Associate
OP
Interesting ... why would it sound crap driving speakers in the same room?

I'm looking to drive 3 pairs of speakers, each with it's own volume control, all from the same source.

Soldato
Because of phase combing effects. Speakers will cancel and reinforce each other.

Connect one pair to front, another to side, another to rear and use music surround mode.

That'll sound the best.

Party mode of all xhannel stereo is ok if you want duplicated signal for a actual party, but for sitting down in listening position playing a cd? Nah. Crap.

Associate
OP
Ah I see. I don't think that'll matter too much as there will be a big Boeing 747 metal fuselage right in the middle anyway.

Man of Honour
I have a Yamaha 671 that'll do six speakers just wire up as typical home cinema sound system.and use all channel stereo
That won't work for what he wants. He needs individual volume control of each stereo pair. All-channel Stereo mode uses one volume control for.all speakers. That's not what he wants.

Man of Honour
No something a lot cheaper would be good but harder to find!

AV receivers that can do 3 zone multiroom are either going to be high-end, or you'll need something midrange with zone 3 out as a line level signal going out to a separate power amp. TBH though, it's a bit overkill for what you need unless you're open to buying a used amp.

The modern solution to this is amps such as Yamaha with a Musicast feature or Denon/Marantz amps with their version called Heos.

The basic idea is that the receiver does 5.1/7.1/Atmos for the cinema room, and then second and third and fourth and 5th etc zones are homes for either a wireless speaker or a zone amp then running a pair of conventional or in-ceiling speakers. This provides what you're looking for, which is any amp source spread across all zones but with individual volume control in each.

The Speakers A-B thing wasn't the same idea. It can be used for same source in two rooms, but the volume control works on both A and B in tandem rather than separately unless driven either A or B but not A+B.

Running A and B speakers at the same time isn't an issue unless the combined impedance rating is lower than 16 Ohms. Even then, as long as party-levels aren't needed it would be okay to pair 8 Ohm and 6 Ohm together; just watch the volume level.

Associate
OP
AV receivers that can do 3 zone multiroom are either going to be high-end, or you'll need something midrange with zone 3 out as a line level signal going out to a separate power amp. TBH though, it's a bit overkill for what you need unless you're open to buying a used amp.

The modern solution to this is amps such as Yamaha with a Musicast feature or Denon/Marantz amps with their version called Heos.

The basic idea is that the receiver does 5.1/7.1/Atmos for the cinema room, and then second and third and fourth and 5th etc zones are homes for either a wireless speaker or a zone amp then running a pair of conventional or in-ceiling speakers. This provides what you're looking for, which is any amp source spread across all zones but with individual volume control in each.

The Speakers A-B thing wasn't the same idea. It can be used for same source in two rooms, but the volume control works on both A and B in tandem rather than separately unless driven either A or B but not A+B.

Running A and B speakers at the same time isn't an issue unless the combined impedance rating is lower than 16 Ohms. Even then, as long as party-levels aren't needed it would be okay to pair 8 Ohm and 6 Ohm together; just watch the volume level.

So maybe something like the Emotiva BasX A-800?

Soldato
Don't touch emotiva with a barge pole. Their processors are crap, and they use cheap parts in their power amps. Under specced capacitors.

That Yamaha will outlive several emotiva bits and actually work

Associate
OP
Don't touch emotiva with a barge pole. Their processors are crap, and they use cheap parts in their power amps. Under specced capacitors.

That Yamaha will outlive several emotiva bits and actually work

The new Yamaha RXV685 looks quite good at a nice price?

My input source is stereo and needs splitting over 6 speakers in the same room.

Last edited:
Associate
2 zones is the best you'll get on a budget.

I'd advise looking towards the used market. There is a number of options here with decent (for an AVR) stereo playback.

Marantz 70xx
Marantz 60xx
Arcam AVR450/600
Anthem MRX 5XX/7XX

Harmon Kardon do some half decent gear as well, but not a brand I've ever used.

Associate
OP
I'm a bit confused as to how it'll work ... tested a stereo source with my current AV receiver ... it only worked on the 2 front speakers, not the surround. So I think I need a multi-channel power amp like Marantz MM8077? The source is from a mixer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting ... why would it sound crap driving speakers in the same room?

I'm looking to drive 3 pairs of speakers, each with it's own volume control, all from the same source.
What about something like 3 echo link amps or bluesound powernodes? (£290 or £799 per unit)

The powernode can also now do wireless surround similar to how Sonos do it.

Man of Honour
I'm a bit confused as to how it'll work ... tested a stereo source with my current AV receiver ... it only worked on the 2 front speakers, not the surround. So I think I need a multi-channel power amp like Marantz MM8077? The source is from a mixer.

You're confused!?! - FFS... You want to be sitting where we are reading your posts and trying to work out just what the hell you're trying to do. :D:D:D

At first, you say you're on a budget. Then there's some waffle about a plane fuselage. Now you're considering a £2000 power amp! WTF are you on, drugs? You're getting dangerously close to the textbook description of a WUM. I think it's about time you put down some proper info about the application - is this something to do with aircraft? - and exactly what you're trying to do i.e. do you really need 3 pairs of stereo speakers each with individual volume control?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt one last time, but unless you're forthcoming with some proper info then I'm parachuting out of this thread. I don't waste my time and knowledge on people who don't appreciate it.

With the RX-V450 you need to select 6ch STEREO mode, and not STEREO DIRECT or PURE STEREO. Read your instructions - or go download a copy of the manual if you've lost them or can't be arsed finding the book. Google is your friend.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info, unfortunately as you said the Marantz is way out of my budget. 6ch STEREO mode is exactly what I'm looking for thank you, I will read up more into it.

My scenario is I have a home flightdeck in my garage (see https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/747-flightdeck-simulator-build.18659273/). I am looking for 6 speakers (2 front, 2 middle, 2 rear) for my sound setup. I already have a mixer with some spare XLR line outputs. My 1st thought was just getting some active monitors, but I have read that they need careful positioning which they won't be, so I'm hoping bookshelf speakers might be more forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom