Poll: TV above mantelpiece or not?

Should I put the new TV above the mantelpiece?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 144 88.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Now, i've always gone with never putting the TV above the mantel because of eye height and it usually looks terrible, but I'm limited in my living room and having a rethink because my mantel isn't actually all that high (89cm) and I want to upgrade.

I currently have a 10 year old 40" TV in the corner with a soundbar. I can replace with a 43" TV without it being any bigger due to the big ol' bezel on the current one, but not really any bigger than that without it causing issues.

I'd like to go at least 50" (49" Sony is the current thought) above the mantel, bring back a full AV 5.1.2 or 3.1.2 solution and put a new AV cupboard and shelves in the corner. Wanted to get all your opinions as to what you would do in this situation.

Here's the lounge, excuse the birthday cards...

0U59AJ3.jpg

Edit: Mods, @EVH, Can you please make a poll for me.

Should I put the new TV above the mantelpiece?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Pancake

edit:

**UPDATE**

I did it and glad I did.

Update post

Last edited:
Soldato
Never EVER mount a TV above a mantle, even though yours is relatively low. It's just crap for watching TV on the sofa. If you want placement over viewing pleasure then go for it. But I won't visit.

Soldato
Can you take a wide angle photo of the room to show us what else you have to play with.

Although mounting above the mantel is usually a no-no, you'r mantel is quite low so it might work alright.

Soldato
OP
Can you take a wide angle photo of the room to show us what else you have to play with.

Not really, took a crap pano, but useless.

However, BEHOLD! My super paint skillz!

PpilJdl.png

Not to scale in the slightest but givers you more of an idea.

More info:
  • Top of mantel is about 89cm high from the hearth.
  • Sofa seat is about 46cm. No recline.
  • Distance from the chimney breast that the TV would be on to the sofa back is 3.5m (about 11.5ft).

Last edited:
Soldato
We've mounted ours above the fireplace because of the awkward room layout.

It's actually not anywhere near as bad as others are making out. Yes if you have a tiny TV it might be a bit of effort to watch, but a nice big TV makes a huge difference!

Soldato
OP
Couldn't you move the chav sofa to sit next to the window and put the tv against the wall opposite the fireplace?

Not without it going in front of the fireplace.
If the sofa was the other way around (there’s a long side and shorter side) then maybe.

One of these, accommodates up to 65 comfortably without looking out of place in the room. The oak isn't as dark as the pics.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...hepstow-930-mm-tv-stand-oak-10004693-pdt.html

Not sure where I would put it?

Soldato
Not without it going in front of the fireplace.
If the sofa was the other way around (there’s a long side and shorter side) then maybe.

Wasn't sure if it was one of those corner sofa's where you could switch the end bit to either end.

Honestly though, your fireplace looks pretty low so you might get away with it.

Soldato
could you equally get a cantilever support for the tv, so it can remain mostly in the corner where it is, and move to a better angle when needed
(recent thread where someone bought such a stand)
maybe that would allow tv to be further right, so that left speaker could be obliquely against left wall, to improve sound

Soldato
OP
The TV is on an an adjustable arm on the wall that can repositioned. It’s angled out at the Sofa.
I can’t put a bigger TV in the gap without it encroaching on the window/curtains and fireplace/mantle.
I’m limited to about 43” in that gap, unless I bring it further out and over hang the window and put it in front of the fireplace.

Soldato
That wooden stand linked above is vile and wouldn't work in the room.

With you l33t paint skills I'd say leave it as is and get a TV above the fireplace. But don't think 50" as a TV shrinks once you've become accustomed to it. I'd get a 65" above there, but to test, just mark out the size of the tv above the fireplace with some non-tack tape.

Back
Top Bottom