• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Even at £750 any GPU is still expensive for playing games.

Even if the 3080ti came out and was £749 it's still ludicrously expensive.

Think about it for a second. For a single component £750!

However we will all think 'OMG' its so cheap and buy it in droves based on what prices we have been experiencing recently.

---

Then again phones retail at that price.

(-‸ლ)

However we will all think 'OMG' its so cheap and buy it in droves based on what prices we have been experiencing recently.

---

(-‸ლ)

Samsung and Apple will sell 10 million phones each at that price or more each year.

Associate

---

(-‸ლ)

That's not even near the top end for a phone.

Think of it this way = the GTX 580 launched at $499 in 2010. That's equivalent to around $600 in today's money. The 780 Ti Launched in 2013 at around £550, over £700 accounting for inflation. So £750 is not that outrageous really.

Last edited:
Soldato
Samsung and Apple will sell 10 million phones each at that price or more each year.
wife or Girlfriend comes home all happy and says "Do you like my lovely new £1000+ iPhone upgrade I just bought today"

You come home and say to the wife or girlfriend "Do like my new £1000+ 3080ti GPU upgrade I bought today" world war 3 breaks out :D:p

Soldato
This is looking like the Gold Standard on PS5. Something unseen on the PC to date. The game allegedly using this is called Quantum Error, a PS5 exclusive.
We are going for 4K. Obviously when we get to a point of optimization we’ll see if we have to push or pull certain features.

Don't get your hopes up too much yet. They don't have much of anything done, it's all "aspirational" to use a word that's en-vogue right now. :D

Soldato
Don't get your hopes up too much yet. They don't have much of anything done, it's all "aspirational" to use a word that's en-vogue right now. :D
Yeah nothing is actually optimized for the new hardware as of yet. And the actual visual demo was on PC. I do wonder if developers will actually be ready be release date? Personally, I doubt it. I don't expect all the cogs to be in place and in gear until 2021 for both Sony and MS.
That's where I see it "getting real". :p

However, the games I'm keeping a look out for is Gran Turismo, Halo and Flight Simulator.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 2070 area is mid range, but certainly on the high end if you think about the total pool of PC gamers and the cards they may be using.
That's the point. 2060-2080 are Nvidias gaming high-end ray-tracing cards, positioned at the various price points and ends of the high-end spectrum. A Geforce GTX 1660 is now considered your average "mid-range" GPU and FoxEye could easily confirm this, if by not using logic and common sense, simply by Googling professional reviews and checking online stores.

Soldato
That's the point. 2060-2080 are Nvidias gaming high-end ray-tracing cards, positioned at the various price points and ends of the high-end spectrum. A Geforce GTX 1660 is now considered your average "mid-range" GPU and FoxEye could easily confirm this, if by not using logic and common sense, simply by Googling professional reviews and checking online stores.

I’d some what agree but they all still have respectful places regardless of how RTX they are.
2080S-2080Ti Enthusiast/pro
2070S high end
2060S midrange
1660S low end
1650 and below budget

Unless 2080Ti- high high high high end
2080S high high high end
2070S high high end
2060S high end
1660S midrange
1650 and below low end
;)

Associate
Yeah nothing is actually optimized for the new hardware as of yet. And the actual visual demo was on PC. I do wonder if developers will actually be ready be release date? Personally, I doubt it. I don't expect all the cogs to be in place and in gear until 2021 for both Sony and MS.
That's where I see it "getting real". :p

However, the 2 games I'm keep a look out for is Gran Turismo, Halo and Flight Simulator.

Yes even if the hardware is ready I can't see the game devs having anything mature enough to release and be playable. But hey looks the trend these days is to release unfinished games because plenty of people will still pay full price.

Are you hoping for flight sim on pc or console? I would love to see another crimson skies game because it was good. Air pirates is where its at! Also looking forward to cyberpunk 2077 as well!!

Soldato
Yes even if the hardware is ready I can't see the game devs having anything mature enough to release and be playable. But hey looks the trend these days is to release unfinished games because plenty of people will still pay full price.

Are you hoping for flight sim on pc or console? I would love to see another crimson skies game because it was good. Air pirates is where its at! Also looking forward to cyberpunk 2077 as well!!

next gen flight simulator is on its way, probably make its way to the ps5 and Xbox too

Associate
next gen flight simulator is on its way, probably make its way to the ps5 and Xbox too
That's exciting to hear! I can't see how well it would be as good to play on a PS5/Xbox though, less peripherals and you can't do a multi monitor setup right? But Ampere should be able to crush these scenarios in theory?

Soldato
Sure, but I've never bought high-end :p

xx60 and xx70 are mid-low and mid-range, really.

Fully expect the xx70 to be £475-£550. And the xx60 to be £350-£450.

"Mainstream" prices, ie £200-£250... what do you get for that these days. Not even an xx60, lol.

Nvidia changed their naming for the Turing cards though. You have to specify what x60 card you are talking about. The RTX or the GTX? The GTX x60 cards are the mainstream ones, the RTX x60 cards are the high end.

Caporegime
Soldato

The devs had an invite for their alpha/beta testing on pc a while back. People on pc are now playing the game.
https://www.flightsimulator.com/insider-program-faq/
I’m more curious as to how the game is created and what pc hardware is required to play it. The game is gorgeous to look at. iE: lighting, reflections, etc.

Last edited:
Associate
The devs had an invite for their alpha/beta testing on pc a while back. People on pc are now playing the game.
https://www.flightsimulator.com/insider-program-faq/
I’m more curious as to how the game is created and what pc hardware is required to play it. The game is gorgeous to look at. iE: lighting, reflections, etc.
It's been a while since I've played any of the Flight Sim games, used to do a bit of X-Plane and IL2. The game looks stunning, I would also be interested to see what PC hardware is required to run the game at that level too! Fingers crossed!

Caporegime
The internal naming scheme stopped meaning anything when Kepler was released.

The RTX cards are all the high end cards, the GTX cards are all the mid range/mainstream cards.
Seems arbitrary to assign all the RTX "high end", if you're not going to assign all the GTX "low end".

Using nVidia's marketing distinction, it's a binary division into two groups (GTX, RTX). Logic says you could call RTX Tier1 and GTX Tier2 if you wanted.

But your logic says RTX is Tier1, and GTX is a mixture of Tier 2 and Tier 3 (analogous for "high end", "mid range", "low end").

It very much seems to me that the whole thing is subjective, as opposed to there being some concrete criteria that makes a 2060 unquestionably "high end".

After all, I could legitimately ask the question, "Why can't RTX be a mixture of Tier 1 and Tier 2, with all GTX being Tier 3?"

This isn't argument for argument sake, I'm just trying to establish the highly subjective nature of calling something "high end" or not, using simple logic.

Back
Top Bottom