Next Gen HP VR Headset

Soldato
I'm going to take "next gen" with a grain of salt until we see what it's actually packing, but I like that it seems to be using index style audio.

Very interesting overall. I wonder how far MS' involvement goes - is it just going to be the use of WMR style slam tracking or are they more deeply involved? Could it be that eventually this headset gets compatibility with the Xbox series X at some point down the line?

Soldato
Will keep an eye on how this goes. The first Reverb was a pretty good attempt. Better tracking and a little bit of innovation on the controller side of things and it could be a contender!

Soldato
Already wish listed it:)

Seriously though, I see them bringing the premier features of the index down to a lower priced functional hmd. I can't see Valve wanting to create a competing product to there own, but I can see something competing in the 3/400 rift territory. Microsoft involved as a partner is very interesting, it might gee up Sony to push PSVR forward.

Soldato
Unless it has glare like the Index supposedly has quite a bit of.

Yeah it seems like there's no 'perfect' VR headset yet.

They all have issues:

Rift S - Poor default audio, grey blacks, low refresh rate, no IPD adjust.
Index - Unreliable and poorly laid out controllers, grey blacks, awful glare.
Quest - Low refresh rate, front heavy with awful comfort, latency and image compression when linked to PC.
HP Reverb: motion blur, poor controller tracking, no IPD adjust.

You'd think that by now there'd be a headset out there which gets it all right.

Associate
Interesting I'll be following this now, I hope it's going to run better with steam, controller map and software.

I've got the current HP reverb and it's great for racing, flying, space cockpit games. But I really don't like the controllers or windows mixed realitys hub, everything I want to do is on steam or oculus/which can be accessed through revive inside the steam home anyway. WMR just seems like an extra step to get to what I want to play, loading steam VR home to play any of the steam games is a pain in the *** to navigate with the HP controllers half the buttons are not mapped or do the same thing as each other.

Soldato
Who knows. Had a thought last night that with the MS connection, maybe this could have something to do with the new flight sim game. The resolution would certainly have to be there to support the super fine detail.

I like guess work, very interested in to seeing where this goes.

Soldato
Yeah it seems like there's no 'perfect' VR headset yet.

They all have issues:

Rift S - Poor default audio, grey blacks, low refresh rate, no IPD adjust.
Index - Unreliable and poorly laid out controllers, grey blacks, awful glare.
Quest - Low refresh rate, front heavy with awful comfort, latency and image compression when linked to PC.
HP Reverb: motion blur, poor controller tracking, no IPD adjust.

You'd think that by now there'd be a headset out there which gets it all right.

Considering there is no GPU or Monitor for years and years that gets it all right why do you think a VR Headset after a few years would ?

They all have issues but the highlights or benefits balances out the issues or people wouldnt buy them. Some of the above issues can be fixed yourself quite easily and quite cheaply.

Associate
Hmm so they are calling it "next gen" and "no compromises". Pretty tall order.

To me that would mean AT LEAST:

1. Oled panels.
2. 90 Hz or above.
3. 2160x2160 each eye or above.
4. RGB pixels.
5. External tracking.
6. 120 deg FOV or better.

I doubt it...

Soldato
Considering there is no GPU or Monitor for years and years that gets it all right why do you think a VR Headset after a few years would ?

They all have issues but the highlights or benefits balances out the issues or people wouldnt buy them. Some of the above issues can be fixed yourself quite easily and quite cheaply.
Ended up ordering a Rift S this morning, just caught stock. If it's not to my liking i can always sell it on so it's not a big deal really. I'll never get to play HL:A otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom